Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,694 times

Advertisements

the interstates are only shut down during bad snowstorms (ie like the one last week). I-40 was shut down in New mexico last week, so there's no guarantee of the more southern routes being open either.

If it were me, I'd plan on driving I-80, and watch the weather closely. If there's a storm, either wait it out a day or two or leave a few days early to avoid it. Bring a good map and adjust route if need be. the weather channel should be your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
hi,

I used to live in Sacramento (near auburn) take the south route (get to I-40) I think this is SO MUCH safer than taking I-80 through colorado and through the sierras! There is a clear difference! and the mountains in flagastaff are NOTHING like the colorado rockies or the Sierras. Much better in Janurary!! Once in California take 99 or I-5 up to Sacramento, then go back east on I-80 to get to Auburn (only about 40 miles east from Sacramento). Then, go back down to I-5 and I think you can take that to medford but...not sure about oregon actually.

obviously watch the weather, but the south route is always safter in the winter as a rule of thumb and it sounds like this is what your question was referring to.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,347,141 times
sorry, 70 goes through colorado and 80 is just north of there through wyoming. Dont risk it on either of those if you dont have to. Its not that much faster to take the direct route, esepcially if you get stuck in a storm, and you may be required to have chains in your car if you take 80 through the sierras.

Take I-40

Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM

453 posts, read 1,629,035 times
Interstate 80 was closed in December from the blizzard from Ottawa, IL to Moline I believe. Was on the Chicago channel 7 news.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,694 times
The above points are all valid, all i'm saying is watch the weather. You're not going to know for sure what is the best route until a few days before leaving. There may be a storm that hits the texas panhandle that closes the southern route while the sierras are basking in sunshine. It's about 2000 miles down i-80, it's about 2450 the other way so there is an extra 6-7 hours of driving. If you're taking 5 days to make it across country then I guess it doesn't matter so much.

But if I was driving, and I saw that there were no storms that were going to hit my route for the 2-3 days, I'd take i-80.

Whatever the case is, good luck, and let us know how it went. And how wrong I was.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,810 times
That is pretty much a "No Brainer" route. Indeed I'd pick I-88 to merge with I-80 near the Iowa State line. Take I-80 all the way to Auburn. From Auburn Continue I-80 and west of Sacramento hop on I-5 North bound. Stay on it all the way to Medford. It is the best maintained road for that route. I used to travel it year around as a sales rep by car, so I know it all too well. January and February are more often the worst months for travel, so just be prepared. Chains WILL be required if there is a snow storm in the Sierra headed up the mountains from Reno and you take them off on the west side of the mountains. You might even consider just allowing for flex time to avoid storms if they come in. This way you may avoid chains altogether. If you have 4 wheel drive you're good to go regardless. The Siskiyou Mountains which you will start to go up in Yreka California and come down out of near Ashland Oregon (just south of Medford) can be entertaining in the winter as well if there is a storm. Just be prepared and you'll be fine. Keep abreast of the weather conditions. Just DO make sure at the very least you have very good tread left on your tires. That is NOT a time to travel with compromised tires on your vehicle that's for sure.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,027,766 times

I've seen some threadsurrections here before, but this one takes the cake. It was nearly 6 years ago that the o.p. made his trip!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post

I've seen some threadsurrections here before, but this one takes the cake. It was nearly 6 years ago that the o.p. made his trip!

Wonder if they made it ok?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,188,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
Wonder if they made it ok?
They were caught in the snows of the Sierra Nevada and had to resort to cannibalism.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
The biggest problems in mountains is the avalanche. Next is the storms. You have survival gear in the car. Blanket, 9volt flashlight, votive candles, water, dried food like jerky, a couple of empty coffee cans, snow brush with ice scraper. You may never need it, but if you do, you will be glad. Keep your gas tank filled. Extra weight in the trunk of your car may give you just enough extra traction that you need.

The one thing you should have is the AC/DC NOAA weather radio and an extra set of new batteries for it. Cellphones are not great in the mountains. You might consider a CB radio. Trucker's CBs have a longer range. They chatter a lot about bad routes and bad weather. This little $30 radio from Radio Shack is worth its weight in gold in mountains. You will usually have enough time to find shelter.

I've driven 1-40 from IL to SoCal a number of times in the winter in NOV and DEC and had no trouble. But, I was always prepared. The NOAA radio did get me off the road where I could wait out one storm. From Flagstaff to Palm Springs was about 7 hours with no traffic.

Do make sure your car, especially the radiator - is ready for sub zero cold, and your tires have sufficient tread. .

I've also driven the southern route from NOLA to SD. My favorite route is 1-40 to East of Amarillo. I drop down SW to Texas and drive through Arizona and into SoCal simply because I don't like the isolated desert. The issue with this route is you add another 700 miles in California. If you say over at SD and leave early on Sun morning you will have little traaffic on I-5 much before noon. Weekday traffic make Chicago roads look like a calk walk in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois