Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 10:08 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need to take a healthy mental break from thinking of Coronavirus/ Riots/Politics, etc. on the forum. Help me with some potentially "useless" trivia...

In Milwaukee County, for example, our North Milwaukee suburb came to be called Brown Deer. Our East Milwaukee suburb came to be known as Shorewood. For some reason, our West Milwaukee and South Milwaukee remained with the same names.... In Milwaukee County, a Milwaukee "suburb" essentially is a suburb since it touches the actual border streets of the city of Milwaukee.

I know Chicago operates under different rules as to what constitutes a suburb of the city of Chicago.... Does anyone know why your North/West/East/South were chosen for the city that now bears its names? For example, there are numerous cities WEST of the city of Chicago, but only one bears it's name.

My knowledge is limited, which is why I need help... I know North Chicago was actually South Waukegan, prior.... And I know South Chicago is actually one of the 77 Community Neighborhoods, and obviously pretty far south in the city.

Thank you for keeping me UN-focused...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Hello,

I need to take a healthy mental break from thinking of Coronavirus/ Riots/Politics, etc. on the forum. Help me with some potentially "useless" trivia...

In Milwaukee County, for example, our North Milwaukee suburb came to be called Brown Deer. Our East Milwaukee suburb came to be known as Shorewood. For some reason, our West Milwaukee and South Milwaukee remained with the same names.... In Milwaukee County, a Milwaukee "suburb" essentially is a suburb since it touches the actual border streets of the city of Milwaukee.

I know Chicago operates under different rules as to what constitutes a suburb of the city of Chicago.... Does anyone know why your North/West/East/South were chosen for the city that now bears its names? For example, there are numerous cities WEST of the city of Chicago, but only one bears it's name.

My knowledge is limited, which is why I need help... I know North Chicago was actually South Waukegan, prior.... And I know South Chicago is actually one of the 77 Community Neighborhoods, and obviously pretty far south in the city.

Thank you for keeping me UN-focused...
I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to understand. Are you trying to understand why West Chicago is named West Chicago, for example? It was named West Chicago simply to attract people and industry to the area by piggybacking off of the much bigger City of Chicago to its east.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Hiruko, I TOLD you I needed a mental break!!!!

I was at work when I wrote this, and I was using some vacation hours to start my weekend early!!!

To try to make my question better understood (I hope this works!): WHY did WHICHEVER city that was designated North Chicago, West Chicago and East Chicago get to hold that name?; given there are MANY cities that lay north, west and east of the city. But only ONE gets to be called that...

Old 10-30-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Hiruko, I TOLD you I needed a mental break!!!!

I was at work when I wrote this, and I was using some vacation hours to start my weekend early!!!

To try to make my question better understood (I hope this works!): WHY did WHICHEVER city that was designated North Chicago, West Chicago and East Chicago get to hold that name?; given there are MANY cities that lay north, west and east of the city. But only ONE gets to be called that...
Are there any municipalities in any state that share the same exact name? North Chicago was "Incorporated as a village in 1895, North Chicago was called South Waukegan until 1901."

Old 10-30-2020, 12:11 PM

Hiruko, I may be wrong but I think there are 2 towns in Wisconsin named Rome.

I know that in Chicago, North Avenue and Western Avenue were given those names because at THAT time, they were the north and west border of the city limits.

What I want to know is, for example, with SO MANY towns that are north of Chicago, why did South Waukegan get to have the name NORTH Chicago, but other towns north of Chicago ( Skokie, Deerfield, Highwood, etc.) did NOT get to be called North Chicago??

I must not be asking this question correctly. So Hiruko, now YOU need a mental break because of me!!!! Lol

Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Hiruko, I may be wrong but I think there are 2 towns in Wisconsin named Rome.
It looks like one is a municipality and another is simply a census-designated place.

Quote:
I know that in Chicago, North Avenue and Western Avenue were given those names because at THAT time, they were the north and west border of the city limits.

What I want to know is, for example, with SO MANY towns that are north of Chicago, why did South Waukegan get to have the name NORTH Chicago, but other towns north of Chicago ( Skokie, Deerfield, Highwood, etc.) did NOT get to be called North Chicago??

I must not be asking this question correctly. So Hiruko, now YOU need a mental break because of me!!!! Lol
In Illinois, municipalities choose their own names. These places were merely named based on their locations and local preferences.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:45 PM

Hiruko, thank you for sharing, and your patience with me!

NOW, where does the name "Hiruko" come from?!? Lol

Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,105 times
Often the naming conventions of some towns were related to the rail systems.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:21 PM

BOBNCHI, that makes a lot of sense, too. Thank you for sharing, Sir.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:29 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Because a town in Pennsylvania already took the name "Intercourse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois