Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 10:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

cook county forest preserve.... anywhere between 107th and La Grange to 87th.... some nice forest preserves over there. We would always have our sons b-day party over there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 06:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
CatsDogsSun, good morning.

Anytime I want to be outside and in a natural setting, while in the city, my favorite place to go is North Park Village Nature Center. You can stand in the middle of it and forget you are in the actual city! (especially in summer when the trees have all bloomed!).

With all the trees and the rustic Park building (has a fireplace inside and all kinds of educational exhibits) it is ideal for looking at the trees and change of leaves in autumn.
Okay, Jay, based on this rec we went over there. It's a 15 min drive for us.

My wife got the heeby jeebies from the place. Totally gave her the creeps. The buildings looked like they were part of a concentration camp or something.

While I didn't quite share her sentiment exactly, I totally could see where she was coming from.

We drove around, thinking maybe we missed "the spot". There was an area where you could walk deeper into the trees but the parking lot was full, and she didn't really want to get out of the car. LOL

Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Kmanshouse. Well it IS convenient for you, so it is worth doing it.

If my research comes back to me, some of the buildings nearby were used to treat peoples with, or study, rather serious illnesses (don't quote me yet, but I believe this is true).

Since then they have created housing for elderly. And WHY is that? Because it is so peaceful and beautiful there!!

But I have gone with my children there many times! And for all seasons. It is very tranquil as you feel an escape from the "urban-ness."

Last time we saved this big toad from being eaten by a huge snake. (some people scolded me for interfering with nature)!

But seeing deer, frogs, snakes, etc. is so cool. AND we have brought our turtles down to the nature center's turtle club races. And ours won every race!!!!

Ask your wife to give it another try. Just don't look at the buildings, and tell her to open her eyes when you get to the path to the pavilion.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:09 AM

Kmanshouse, P.S. maybe the lot was full because it is SUCH A GREAT place to check out!

Enjoy your day!

Old 10-15-2020, 08:30 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Okay, Jay, based on this rec we went over there. It's a 15 min drive for us.

My wife got the heeby jeebies from the place. Totally gave her the creeps. The buildings looked like they were part of a concentration camp or something.

While I didn't quite share her sentiment exactly, I totally could see where she was coming from.
Being that is is the former TB Sanitarium, I could see why. We would get the creeps when riding our bikes near there when it was still in operation!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...sis-sanitarium

https://news.wttw.com/2020/04/30/ask...sis-sanitarium

Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 AM

BOBNCHI, thank you for sharing.

Good to know my memory still serves me somewhat correct!

Old 10-15-2020, 08:47 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Not directly in IL, but one of my favorite areas for fall foliage other than northern New England is Vilas County, WI (Eagle River, Minocqua area, to the western UP). The northern hardwoods mixed with coniferous types usually always have the most brilliant fall foliage. It is past peak there by now, and was disappointed to be unable to make the trip this year.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 10-15-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 10-15-2020, 08:53 AM

GraniteStater, thank you for putting Wisconsin on the Illinois forum!

A guy like me really appreciates the connection!

And you went pretty NORTH, at that!

Well, 2020 was a hard year for us all. Hopefully you can get up there in 2021!

Have a great day!!

Old 10-16-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Being that is is the former TB Sanitarium, I could see why. We would get the creeps when riding our bikes near there when it was still in operation!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...sis-sanitarium

https://news.wttw.com/2020/04/30/ask...sis-sanitarium
Interesting. Thanks.

I won't mention a couple of other things she said. While shockingly funny, probably not shareable here.

She is also particularly creeped out and depressed by old-folks homes. And there was definitely a vibe of that there. She told me just to kill her if I ever needed to send her there.

So unfortunately....we likely won't be going back.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:13 PM

Luckily, the streets around us are just loaded with leafy trees. Just walking through the neighborhood is a quintessential fall experience.

Feels very much like fall now. 50s, mix of sun and clouds. Finally turned on the furnace today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois