Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 05:10 PM

29 posts, read 82,372 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I searched before I posted, but the last time I could find mention of the Du Quoin area was back in 2010, and I would imagine things may have changed since then, especially with COVID.

So, a little bit about me... I am a 50 year old woman with health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, Hypothyroidism and Fibro, with a grown daughter of 20 who still lives with me. Before I moved here to Utah, I was on state medical for all of my conditions, but Utah saw fit to remove all of that from me as it is a state that does not offer coverage to women without small children. I work part time from home now at a call center type jobmaking $12 an hour. My oldest son, his wife and their daughter, my granddaughter, whom I have never had the pleasure of meeting (she is 3) live in Du Quoin and they are asking me to move down that way to be closer and so that I can have a relationship with my grand-baby.

What can anyone tell me about the Du Quoin area? Price of rentals, jobs, weather and any other helpful information would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 06:38 PM

Seriously? 21 Views but no replies? Did I say something wrong?

Old 08-13-2020, 09:46 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusing_chaos View Post
Seriously? 21 Views but no replies? Did I say something wrong?
There are not many people on this forum with downstate Illinois. The Chicago and Chicago Suburbs subforums have significantly more activity and posters.

Du Quoin is quintessential downstate Illinois. It's relatively economically depressed, rural, and has a palpable hint of Southern culture. It's inexpensive, but there aren't a lot of opportunities in the area.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There are not many people on this forum with downstate Illinois. The Chicago and Chicago Suburbs subforums have significantly more activity and posters.

Du Quoin is quintessential downstate Illinois. It's relatively economically depressed, rural, and has a palpable hint of Southern culture. It's inexpensive, but there aren't a lot of opportunities in the area.

Thank you so much for your reply. The area was not really a choice I was given, as that is where my son and his family live. I'm guessing I would have to make the best of whatever opportunities there were if I decided to make the move.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:23 PM

685 posts, read 767,149 times
I live closer to StL, but have driven through Du Quoin. Typical small town. Probably built because of the mining, but many of those have long been closed. Not much else to say.

The area between Marion and Carbondale is the hub of the area. Carbondale is centered on the university, so it trends younger. These areas will have everything you need. This will be where most jobs are. Housing is affordable everywhere. I'm betting you could rent a decent house for $800.

The biggest weather difference versus Utah will be the three months of summer humidity. And there is a lot more rain in Illinois, so it is a lot greener.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I live closer to StL, but have driven through Du Quoin. Typical small town. Probably built because of the mining, but many of those have long been closed. Not much else to say.

The area between Marion and Carbondale is the hub of the area. Carbondale is centered on the university, so it trends younger. These areas will have everything you need. This will be where most jobs are. Housing is affordable everywhere. I'm betting you could rent a decent house for $800.

The biggest weather difference versus Utah will be the three months of summer humidity. And there is a lot more rain in Illinois, so it is a lot greener.

I don't mind rain at all. In fact I prefer it to snow or hot weather, so there's that. Plus greener is awesome. Nothing to complain about there.

Humidity, I am not so much a fan of, but I lived in Missouri once for a few years and Texas once for like a year and a half. Hated being all sweaty all the time but it did wonders for my skin. As long as whatever place I rent has air conditioning, I should be okay.

I don't mind living within a 30 minute drive of Du Quoin. Finding a job will of course be a major factor. I prefer work at home jobs as I have a small dog that gets very anxious when alone, so hopefully there are some fo those types of employment around.

I have pretty simple needs when it comes to events and outtings. I am perfectly happy staying home most of the time, but an occasional fair, or renaissance faire would be fun, if there are any of those around nearby.

$800 sounds like heaven after what I have been paying for a 2 bedroom right now. lol

Thanks for the information and for responding. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois