Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 03:32 PM

685 posts, read 766,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Galena is really a fake* tourist town. It's not much of a place to live.

*It's historical, but it's not really functioning as a real town.
Galena only has 4k people. It does far better than most towns of its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 02:19 PM

58 posts, read 38,502 times
Antioch is actually on my list to visit. I'd love Lake Geneva but it's gotten kind of expensive and not many choices. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm not from there so I really can't recommend any specific towns for you. People from that area may have some suggestions. My mother's nucleus family (on both sides) were from Freeport and Cedarville, IL as well as Dodgeville, Platteville, and Highland, Wisconsin. I visited these areas often in the past. Some very nice rural country there.

I'm sure there are some very nice towns like these a little more in the lower central part of Wisconsin. I remember going to a wedding in Antioch (wife's best friend). A real pretty rural community right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border. That town would be a pretty easy commute to Des Plaines. Pretty country with lakes nearby.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:22 PM

58 posts, read 38,502 times
Went to Galena yesterday and I loved it just like I thought I would. We went to Big Bill's to grab a bite. Then we went kayaking on the Galena River. Walked around town and drove around. Finally, grabbed dinner at Log Cabin, it was delicious. Then we drove around the Territory and it looked really nice as well. From the Territory to O'Hare, it took us 2 hours, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. How do the roads look in winter? Does I20 get plowed consistently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
What is that supposed to mean? I live in the Galena area and I see the town functioning just fine.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:53 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
Went to Galena yesterday and I loved it just like I thought I would. We went to Big Bill's to grab a bite. Then we went kayaking on the Galena River. Walked around town and drove around. Finally, grabbed dinner at Log Cabin, it was delicious. Then we drove around the Territory and it looked really nice as well. From the Territory to O'Hare, it took us 2 hours, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. How do the roads look in winter? Does I20 get plowed consistently?
They do a good job keeping highway 20 plowed. Only 2 hours to O'Hare not bad at all. You may want to research homes in Elizabeth if you decide to make the move

Old 10-09-2020, 08:43 AM

69 posts, read 77,391 times
Chigal777, did you pick a town yet? If so, how are you like it so far?

Old 10-09-2020, 01:27 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Galena is really a fake* tourist town. It's not much of a place to live.

*It's historical, but it's not really functioning as a real town.
I love Galena. Would move back if the State ever got their finances together. Property taxes crazy but I'll always miss Galena.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:18 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Ok if you say so.

You have to ignore that guy and what he writes. He literally smeared me with lies in another post and is known to lie. I’m not sure why and I’m not a psychiatrist. Anyway, of course Galena is a tourist town. A beautiful one at that.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:05 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
You have to ignore that guy and what he writes. He literally smeared me with lies in another post and is known to lie. I’m not sure why and I’m not a psychiatrist. Anyway, of course Galena is a tourist town. A beautiful one at that.
My 'smear' involved calling you out on your claims that I was spreading "fake news" that was confirmed by The Chicago Tribune. Ok...I'm the liar.

Galena is a tourist town. My parents seriously considered relocating there about 13 years ago. The biggest development, the Territory, is literally a resort development. There is not a lot of large scale commercial activity or upscale employment in the area. End of story.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:31 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm not from there so I really can't recommend any specific towns for you. People from that area may have some suggestions. My mother's nucleus family (on both sides) were from Freeport and Cedarville, IL as well as Dodgeville, Platteville, and Highland, Wisconsin. I visited these areas often in the past. Some very nice rural country there.

I'm sure there are some very nice towns like these a little more in the lower central part of Wisconsin. I remember going to a wedding in Antioch (wife's best friend). A real pretty rural community right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border. That town would be a pretty easy commute to Des Plaines. Pretty country with lakes nearby.
Monroe, or further north, New Glarus, WI. Monroe is about 150 miles from Chicago, not that much further than Cedarville, and a much larger town. Both are very nice; Monroe, I believe is larger, and has a very clean town square and hospital. It's a prosperous area, with a very low unemployment rate. Monroe is the county seat of Green County, and has a "Cheese Days" festival every two years (I read there are more Master cheesemakers in that area than in many other entire states). Monroe is also the home of Swiss Colony products, and has a very nice theatre group. Go up on a weekend and visit, I don't think you'll be disappointed. You have the choice of living in town, or in more rural areas surrounding the town.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 10-21-2020 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois