Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 716 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I was recently "let go" from my employer and the same day I filed an unemployment claim. Since this forum is viewable to the public I don't want to give away any specific information regarding my former employer or my dismissal at this time. I am willing to say that the reason's sited for termination did not list misconduct and they are an at-will employer.

Approximately 7 days later I received a letter from IDES telling me my payment amounts and my first certification date, which was last week. I assumed at this time that my claim was approved and did as instructed and certified as was instructed. I have been waiting for payment, which has not been received as of yet.

Today, I received a letter from IDES for a "Notice of Interview" that says a question has been raised regarding my eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits......and the interview is requested because I indicated on my application that I was discharged from my employment and to resolve this question an interview is necessary. It also mentions that misconduct applies to my eligibility in this case and I will need to supply information regarding 602A.

As I am sure you can understand, I very anxious and a bit scared, as I cannot pay bills w/o any income coming in until I am able to acquire a new job.

I am a bit foggy on what all takes place when a claim is filed.

I read somewhere that employers have 10 days to deny a claim. That time has come and gone for my employer and up until this point I have assumed that they weren't denying my claim. Now that doesn't mean they haven't reached out to IDES, but if they denied my claim doesn't IDES have to notify me of such or could this interview request be a result from their denial or something they said? Or is this IDES simply following protocol because I indicated on my claim that I was discharged from my job, which is how the letter reads to me?

I am finding it difficult to prepare throughly for this interview when I don't know the exact reason(s) for the request. If my employer has provided information to IDES, don't I have a right to review that information prior to this interview? Today's letter also included claimant rights, which mention having a witness or lawyer present for the interview. Should I have one of the two present? I did nothing illegal to loose my job, yes I made mistakes, but we are all human and do so. Each mistake I owned up to it and was working on improving when I was let go.

It's possible that I am worrying unnecessarily. :-(

I would appreciated it if anyone, who has experienced this type of interview with IDES, would let me know how their interview went and what type of questions I could expect. Additionally, if anyone has further answers to my noted questions above and/or information on the process when a claim is filed that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 12:30 AM

1,037 posts, read 434,817 times
Unemployment compensation is awarded to employees who have lost their job through no fault of thier own. Other rules apply such as length of service, how many hours a week worked, etc., unless ILL has laxer criteria?

Assuming all that is Kosher, which it seems to be, or they would have automatically disqualified you.

"An employment relationship that has no fixed terms to such is presumed to be at -will, and is terminable by either party and at any time".

Let's assume, since you have not consulted a lawyer, that NO legal exceptions apply per statutory or the common law.

If a termination is found to be for "Just/good cause", then the claim will be denied.

If they wish a meeting, they are probably going to have you verbally tell your side of the story to see how it differs from the employee.

Oh, too add to this, "if" it is 10 days, it is probably 10 work days, not calender days.

Read this:

https://www.msiegellaw.com/law-firm-...e-in-illinois/

Last edited by LTU2; 07-28-2020 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-28-2020, 12:53 AM

1,037 posts, read 434,817 times
Here is an ILL Appellate court decision of a general nature.

https://courts.illinois.gov/opinions...ct/1180645.pdf

ILL Unemployment Insurance Act:

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...4&ChapterID=68

Last edited by LTU2; 07-28-2020 at 01:23 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 06:49 AM

118 posts, read 107,156 times
I'd post to unemployment thread for more advice and ideally contact an attorney.

Here's Illinois Legal Aid: https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/get-legal-help

http://www.cookcountycourt.org/LinkC...817&portalid=0

*Please verify all information provided. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois