Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 12:36 PM

7,257 posts, read 4,805,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
So very true. naperville never thought in a million years this would happen to them but gee look what happened!

It wasn't a surprise to Naperville. They've been targeted for years now by thugs coming in from the city, breaking into cars and sometimes homes, and it was getting worse. So this was not something this town held out to be "impossible." Some stores boarded up in advance after seeing the destruction in the city and knowing they were headed to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 02:08 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,095,140 times
Back in the days of my youth, neighborhoods were pretty much separated along black/white racial lines that were pretty clear, at least on the south side. In the mid-70's, the east-west line was Western Avenue, or maybe a little east of there (I remember going to Gee Lumber on 79th St., it was in an "industrial" area). Everything west of Western was white, and pretty much everything west of LaGrange was forest preserve or farmland, Orland looked more like Wisconsin than what it does today. Two decades later, and the line became Kedzie, and it is now Pulaski. But an interesting experiment started in the 1980's, where the Gub'mint started moving inner-city folks into large apartment complexes in the south and western suburbs. "Briarwood" in Justice, "Green Oaks" in Palos Hills, and many of the apartment complexes in Darien Woodridge, Lisle, and Bolingbrook suddenly became a lot more diverse - my guess is that this is where the residents of the Chicago Projects that were torn down were moved to. I assume the same thing happened in the south suburbs (Mattson, etc.), but not being familiar, am speculating. So instead of having some huge Projects in Chicago, you've got many "mini-projects" scattered throughout the suburbs. The south side of Chicago has largely been emptied out, and DuPage County now votes reliably Democrat, so there's that. In the same timeframe, there was a whole lot of migration into the Chicago area from Mexico and other Latin American countries. When I was a kid in the 60's, I believe there were two kids who came from Spanish-speaking homes in my grade school. Now, you drive down anywhere east of Midway Airport, and you better speak Spanish in order to read many of the business signs, things sure have changed.

How has this experiment worked? Beats me, that answer is above my pay grade and area of expertise. But my guess is that the suburban police forces got a lot busier over time. Bottom line, I don't necessarily think "thugs" are coming into Naperville from Chicago - much more likely that they live much closer than that, although maybe many are coming in from Bolingbrook or Aurora. Being in the 4th quarter of my life, I'm going to head further west to get away from urbanization and the crime that comes with it, but this time, it won't be ten or fifteen miles. Anybody looking to take my stuff in the future better bring gas money.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:17 AM

7,257 posts, read 4,805,427 times
Curly Q. Bobalink:
"Bottom line, I don't necessarily think "thugs" are coming into Naperville from Chicago - much more likely that they live much closer than that, although maybe many are coming in from Bolingbrook or Aurora."

Well, you're not correct. Here's just a couple incidents. There are more for sure.

February 18, 2020
DuPage County State's Attorney Robert B. Berlin announced today that bond has been set for three individuals accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from two DuPage County retailers. Victor Williams, 30 (d.o.b. 7/1/1989) of 2620 E. 77th Street, Chicago, Joshlyn Allen, 19 (d.o.b. 6/2/2000) of 7654 S. Yates. Blvd, Chicago, and Emiaya Shannon, 22 (d.o.b. 9/16/1997) of 562 W. 77th Avenue, Merrillville, Indiana,

January 31, 2019 Naperville Sun
Two Chicago residents have been arrested on charges that one burglarized a Naperville house and the other broke into several vehicles, Naperville police said.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,095,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Curly Q. Bobalink:
"Bottom line, I don't necessarily think "thugs" are coming into Naperville from Chicago - much more likely that they live much closer than that, although maybe many are coming in from Bolingbrook or Aurora."

Well, you're not correct. Here's just a couple incidents. There are more for sure.

February 18, 2020
DuPage County State's Attorney Robert B. Berlin announced today that bond has been set for three individuals accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from two DuPage County retailers. Victor Williams, 30 (d.o.b. 7/1/1989) of 2620 E. 77th Street, Chicago, Joshlyn Allen, 19 (d.o.b. 6/2/2000) of 7654 S. Yates. Blvd, Chicago, and Emiaya Shannon, 22 (d.o.b. 9/16/1997) of 562 W. 77th Avenue, Merrillville, Indiana,

January 31, 2019 Naperville Sun
Two Chicago residents have been arrested on charges that one burglarized a Naperville house and the other broke into several vehicles, Naperville police said.

I've been watching the news, but apparently, only eleven arrests were made, which don't provide much definitive information (although it's more than two). CBS said that "300 individuals" were responsible for the worst night's rioting, and it's pretty sure they didn't register for the protest, so we're unlikely to know exactly where they came from. It's too bad that store-owners didn't defend their own property, and then the looters' information could be gleaned from the hospital admission forms.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...onday/2282986/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois