Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chicago, but submitted a two-week notice to my employer because I've accepted a new job in Tennessee. I will be moving there next week. However, I was informed today by the company in Tennessee that all new hires will be furloughed. They recommended I file a claim for unemployment benefits. Thing is, I'm even sure which state I should file a claim in. I know the application will ask for previous employers information, and since I haven't worked in Tennessee yet I'm guessing Illinois is where I should file. However the company executing the furloughs is in Tennessee, so it's a bit tricky.

If I should in fact file in Illinois, I'm concerned there could be issues with getting benefits because I voluntarily left my last role for this new job (under the impression I'd start working at my new job April 13th in TN).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 02:44 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,531,058 times
This is probably the 4th-5th story similar to this that I've heard of this week. Best to speak directly to IDES for guidance.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 988 times
I imagine it's a redundant topic, so apologies. The problem is it's practically impossible to get ahold of IDES at this time. Speaking to a person is damn near impossible during all this.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,531,058 times
I realize that, but it's best to go to the source in these special situations. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,906,667 times
I’m sorry to hear this, and this is a very unfortunate consequence of this pandemic. Others have quit jobs and unfortunately had offers from their new employers at least temporarily rescinded.

I’m not sure what you can do. You would need to talk to each state and figure out what to do. It’s likely an uncommon scenario so it may take a good amount of run around with both states, but hopefully it will work out.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2020, 01:07 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,351,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spsanti1 View Post
I currently live in Chicago, but submitted a two-week notice to my employer because I've accepted a new job in Tennessee. I will be moving there next week. However, I was informed today by the company in Tennessee that all new hires will be furloughed. They recommended I file a claim for unemployment benefits. Thing is, I'm even sure which state I should file a claim in. I know the application will ask for previous employers information, and since I haven't worked in Tennessee yet I'm guessing Illinois is where I should file. However the company executing the furloughs is in Tennessee, so it's a bit tricky.

If I should in fact file in Illinois, I'm concerned there could be issues with getting benefits because I voluntarily left my last role for this new job (under the impression I'd start working at my new job April 13th in TN).
Because you haven't worked in TN yet, your unemployment benefits would be paid by IL. The bad news is don't know about any IL income tax. Your employer may help some when you get set up for pay &etc. The best news could be if you don't have to change banks (US Bank).

Most of the time you have to work in a state 6 months (600 hours) to get benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: