Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,245 times

Advertisements

Hello All - Trying to get some insight into the condo market in the Galena Territory. I am semi retired, probably take a part time job in Dubuque but would like to live in GT full time. No kids so I'm not concerned about schools. I'm pretty clear about the annual HOA fees to both the GTA as well as the various satellite HOA's as well as the property taxes. What I'm seeking are opinions on why the condos on GT are not selling and have come way down in price. Seems a bit scary that units that were selling in the $140k -$180k range 10-15 years ago are now in the $75k-$100k range now - and they are just sitting, very few sales on the 1-2 bedroom condos over the past 2 years. All opinions are appreciated including opinions on life in general in GT. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 10:30 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galena Transplant View Post
Hello All - Trying to get some insight into the condo market in the Galena Territory. I am semi retired, probably take a part time job in Dubuque but would like to live in GT full time. No kids so I'm not concerned about schools. I'm pretty clear about the annual HOA fees to both the GTA as well as the various satellite HOA's as well as the property taxes. What I'm seeking are opinions on why the condos on GT are not selling and have come way down in price. Seems a bit scary that units that were selling in the $140k -$180k range 10-15 years ago are now in the $75k-$100k range now - and they are just sitting, very few sales on the 1-2 bedroom condos over the past 2 years. All opinions are appreciated including opinions on life in general in GT. Thanks!

Many of the condos are older and need updating. I am not sure the cheaper units have a garage and that alone will bring the price down.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:42 AM

768 posts, read 858,461 times
I am a full time resident of the Galena Territory. What was said above is very true. Those units that have been maintained and updated are few and far in between. The lack of garages is a large issue as well. This is an area that is like high school with gray hair. Very cliquey and not very friendly.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:58 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I am a full time resident of the Galena Territory. What was said above is very true. Those units that have been maintained and updated are few and far in between. The lack of garages is a large issue as well. This is an area that is like high school with gray hair. Very cliquey and not very friendly.
I have not experienced the unfriendliness in the territories you speak of. Most are very welcoming.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:08 PM

768 posts, read 858,461 times
Depends upon whether or not you are a full time resident or just visiting for a short time. Everyone is friendly as long as you are spending your $$ in the shops and restaurants downtown. Not a place to make lifelong friends at all.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Depends upon whether or not you are a full time resident or just visiting for a short time. Everyone is friendly as long as you are spending your $$ in the shops and restaurants downtown. Not a place to make lifelong friends at all.
Just had to chime in here for the sake of varied opinion on this point because this NOT my experience at all. I am full time, and came in to the area with zero connections. The number of friends I've made, including "lifelong" is overwhelming. This includes folks who have lived in Galena for generations as well as other transplants. But I have made an effort to get involved in various parts of the GT, towns of Galena and Elizabeth. Feel grateful how amazing and welcoming everyone has been these past several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: