Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,858,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
I have absolutely no desire to move to WI. If I'm leaving Chicagoland, I'm leaving the Midwest completely.

That being said, we have friends who sold their suburban Chicago house last year and converted their WI lake house into their full time residence. I think they were just done with IL taxes and wanted a slower pace of life. So far they LOVE it.
This makes sense. Living in a beautiful north side Chicago neighborhood, I feel like any move within the midwest would be a step down, or many steps.

I like Wisconsin just fine, but no desire to move somewhere even colder, and less urban. If/when I move it will be to the Southwest, Nashville, or the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
Absolutely agree with Kmanshouse. My husband and I moved our family to a near north suburb of Milwaukee last year from a north side Chicago neighborhood. It’s been a major step down in every way, even though it was supposed to be a positive move for his career. We have been disappointed with the schools, housing, culture and amenities ever since. The one positive is that we are closer to some beautiful outdoor areas now. Can’t wait to return to Chicago.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 AM

638 posts, read 241,095 times
Different strokes, for different folks.. Obviously more people are moving into Wisconsin than Illinois, so there is something that's attracting them up there.. Same with NWI and Eastern Iowa..

Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNow View Post
Absolutely agree with Kmanshouse. My husband and I moved our family to a near north suburb of Milwaukee last year from a north side Chicago neighborhood. It’s been a major step down in every way, even though it was supposed to be a positive move for his career. We have been disappointed with the schools, housing, culture and amenities ever since. The one positive is that we are closer to some beautiful outdoor areas now. Can’t wait to return to Chicago.

Well if you would have asked on CDF, you would have found out the 2 best school districts in the whole state are Mequon and Whitefish Bay. Virtually every suburban Milwaukee School Dist. is very good and I am curious as to which one you are in or send your children to. Housing cost would have been a step up, 600K buys a lot up here and property taxes are a lot less than $10-$15,000 per year. Safety, would have been a step up, commute times would have been a step up. Now I grant you if you want to live in the heart of a urban area Chicago wins vs every city in America except NYC, restaurants Chicago wins but Milwaukee has some fantastic restaurants and including a lot of restaurants that Chicago people have opened up here in the city.

Don't worry once you move back to IL, we'll still see you every labor, memorial, fourth of July and when you take your summer vacations to the Dells, Door County or Lake Geneva

Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times
Quote:
You sound like my father-in-law. Born and raised on the north side of Chicago. He HATES WI with a passion. Not sure why, but any time he has to cross the state line, there's profanity spewing from his mouth.
He probably hates WI because of the Packers.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:30 PM

207 posts, read 214,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Don't worry once you move back to IL, we'll still see you every labor, memorial, fourth of July and when you take your summer vacations to the Dells, Door County or Lake Geneva
This made me laugh, but is SO off. Not every Chicagoan wants a weekend getaway to WI. I've been here since 2003 and can count on one hand the number of times I've been in the cheese state. More power to you and those who like to travel up there, but it's not my thing.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:35 PM

207 posts, read 214,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Could be. He also can't stand the way people in WI drive.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Quote:
Could be. He also can't stand the way people in WI drive.
LOL

Perhaps only a half click worse than some of Chicago’s finest drivers. There’s plenty of bad drivers here to go around.

The WI folks just need to practice how to merge, and how to let another driver merge. I would forgive their other issues if those were solved

Cheers

Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well if you would have asked on CDF, you would have found out the 2 best school districts in the whole state are Mequon and Whitefish Bay. Virtually every suburban Milwaukee School Dist. is very good and I am curious as to which one you are in or send your children to. Housing cost would have been a step up, 600K buys a lot up here and property taxes are a lot less than $10-$15,000 per year. Safety, would have been a step up, commute times would have been a step up. Now I grant you if you want to live in the heart of a urban area Chicago wins vs every city in America except NYC, restaurants Chicago wins but Milwaukee has some fantastic restaurants and including a lot of restaurants that Chicago people have opened up here inok:
Agreed, except for the safety part. Are you familiar with how low the crime rates are in equivalent north shore suburbs to WFB or M? That part is a wash.

I am also curious where the OP relocated.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
He gets a rash when he sees the cheese hats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois