Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,907,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther applegate View Post
I grew up in decatur. it's a blue collor town with
nothing going for it and nothing, at all, to do...
Like Muskegon!

Springfield makes Lansing look good, which I thought was impossible.

Both Grand Rapids and Peoria are quite attractive, although I would prefer Grand Rapids because 1) it's in Michigan and 2) it's bigger. But if someone only visited Springfield and Decatur, and missed Peoria, Bloomington-Normal, and Champaign-Urbana, I would tell them to go back to the plains and learn themselves some mid-Illinois!

I repeat: Springfield had illegitimate kids with some ho, probably Decatur.

I'm starting to feel bad for all the Chicago-area legislators that have to set foot in Springfield. What a dump. Again: my standard for a state capital city is Lansing, so it's not like I'm setting the bar high or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM

13 posts, read 61,066 times
It's not a great place. A good deal of crime, and it stinks, frankly. BUT there are some good points, like the zoo. And some very nice outlying towns to live in. But I do agree C-U is a better bet as far as central IL goes.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,425,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Like Muskegon!

Springfield makes Lansing look good, which I thought was impossible.

Both Grand Rapids and Peoria are quite attractive, although I would prefer Grand Rapids because 1) it's in Michigan and 2) it's bigger. But if someone only visited Springfield and Decatur, and missed Peoria, Bloomington-Normal, and Champaign-Urbana, I would tell them to go back to the plains and learn themselves some mid-Illinois!

I repeat: Springfield had illegitimate kids with some ho, probably Decatur.

I'm starting to feel bad for all the Chicago-area legislators that have to set foot in Springfield. What a dump. Again: my standard for a state capital city is Lansing, so it's not like I'm setting the bar high or anything.
I've been to both Lansing and Springfield, and I'd say the complete opposite about both. Lansing was ... blech.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,907,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I've been to both Lansing and Springfield, and I'd say the complete opposite about both. Lansing was ... blech.
Lansing is just 2x the blech. Springfield is more concentrated blech.
Know your state capital blech! /exam

Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 30,986 times
I really never thought I would find myself defending Decatur, but after 8 years here, it's just not that bad. The smell of soybeans is the smell of money.....actually the ADM plant is on the cities far east side, and the prevailing winds blow west to east about 90% of the time. So it's actually not a factor. It sure beats exhaust fumes and rude people though...

It has a unique geographical location in that it it 37 miles south of Bloomington/Normal, 37 miles west of Champaign, 37 miles east of Springfield....2 1/2 hours south of Chicago, 2 1/2 hours west of Indianapolis, and 2 1/2 hours northeast of St. Louis, so logistically speaking, it would be a great plce for a distribution center....
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
It's all highly overrated compared to O'Hare's jet fuel.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 17,590 times
I have spent 21 years of my life ind decatur. As it is in anytown every youngster wants to get out of that place. I dont know of any of my out of state friends who didnt want to get out as soon as possible. Decaturs economy has gone down some but it is back on a slow upward climb. The job market is tough but if you have a degree, some experience, or simply graduated high school you can get a job. The more of the previsou list the faster you will find a job and the better it will be. This town has been described of having "an iron river of rails". That is because decatur is mostly a city that revolves around industry but thats not all. When i was younger i thought there was nothing to do but really thats not true. There just arent flashing lights every where. With a univerity (milikin) and a community college (richland) there are alot of events that arise from just them. The houseing market is at an all time low but also on its way back up, slowly. Here is an example we live n the west side of decatur, almost in harristown. Our neighboor hood consist of old folks, its quiet with a few young families scattered around there. I think we are the youngest couple out there. Almost no crime, our house being 900 square feet, with a partially finished basement, a 3 car heated detached garage is valued at 70K. My parents live on the other side of the city almost in oreana and have 10 acres and so do all their neighboors for them your looking at almost 350K so it really depends. There is alot of corn or beans depending on the year but i like it that way. I would rather my kids (when i have them) get in trouble with a few friends in a corn field where i know the farmer and we can deal with them than them go to a club or something like that and the cops take over. I went to argenta oreana schools and it was a good experience, small town school with a total of 400 people in the whole highschool. You knew every one and didnt have to worry about bombs or guns. They also just got a new school built and it has a new beefed up ciriculum. overall a good place to live. You get used to that smell everyone talks about, if you live in one of the small towns (villages) around such as oreana, argenta, cisco, (mostly working class, or farmers), or maroa, forsyth, warrensburg, mt zion, (working class with many more upper class) you dont smell it any way. I dont smell it and i live in decatur. Also a 20-40 min to 4 larger cities (depending on what side of decatur you live on and where your going).

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM

610 posts, read 2,732,439 times
Hammerhead, I thought you were my FIL!! That is exactly what he says all the time, "that smell, that is the smell of money!" My husband was born and raised in D-town and his WHOLE family is still there. I personally wouldn't choose to live there. MIL is a teacher and from her experience as a parent and a teacher the schools in town are not the best. Mt. Zion schools are much better and most of the younger Decatur people seem to be moving out that way. I just can't stand the smell and my kids always complain about it when we visit. I would choose Bloomington-Normal over Decatur anyday if that is an option. Most of DH's family would leave if they could - they stay due to family and jobs with the smelly company

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,207,758 times
What's with you folks? You never played craps? The place is famous for the saying: "Eighter from Decatur!"

Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM

68 posts, read 300,627 times
Default Eighter from Decatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What's with you folks? You never played craps? The place is famous for the saying: "Eighter from Decatur!"
I've lived here 32 years now and I've never heard that phrase. I'll have to ask others. . .

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,207,758 times
Default I'll clean it up a little

Two takes on the derivation of "Eighter from Decatur" Some folks think it originated as to the Texas town, but I'm not so sure.

"Eighter from Decatur, county seat of Wise” is the slang of craps shooters who want to roll an eight. It was sometimes given as “Ada from Decatur.” “Eighter” is first recorded in 1916 and “Ada” is first recorded in 1918."

“Eighter from Decatur was drawn from his reminiscences of shooting craps while in the Army: "Eighter from Decatur, that's a roll of dice ... five is 'fever in a f***house,' six is 'easy six,' 'lucky seven,' 'eighter from Decatur....'"

Basically, you roll an eight and shout: "Eighter from Decatur". The person next to you says: "I bet you won't". You reply: "If I can't eight, birds can't fly. If I can't eight, there ain't a [deity]! Help me, dice!" Then you crap out. That's a quote from a "famous Peoria native."

Last edited by Manigault; 03-27-2008 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois