Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 08:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Are you referring to public pension? Or private?
Both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 08:50 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Funny that this thread is still going. Just looking at the first page, I crack up at all the naysayers and doomsday predictions from 3 1/2 years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
States will be forced to figure out a solution soon because interest rates will skyrocket and the market will fall in the next 2-3 years putting more pressure on the actuarial problems.
Interest rates still at all time lows and market has performed amazingly well over this time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I suspect that as interest rates continue to increase on the pension debt, Illinois and Chicago will get junk bond status. When no one lends us money, our politicians will be forced to take action. They need to cut all pension payouts by 10-20%, tax retirement income, and eliminate pensions for new employees (get a 401K instead). This will all happen in the next 5 years.
Hasn't happened yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
100% agree. Interest rates will be around 7-8% in a couple years and for Illinois junk status it will be like 12% which is unsustainable and will cause the collapse. I'm just amazed that lawmakers haven't been forced to take action sooner.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Legalize recreational marijuana and use the tax revenue to solve pension debt crisis.
I don't think this is helping.

Everyone driving on the highway is smoking pot, judging from the odor. I don't imagine they'll ever pay enough taxes to fund pensions though.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Funny that this thread is still going. Just looking at the first page, I crack up at all the naysayers and doomsday predictions from 3 1/2 years ago:

Interest rates still at all time lows and market has performed amazingly well over this time period.

Hasn't happened yet.

Interest rates are being kept low by the Reserve, right? That's by choice. And the market was booming due to lower federal taxes in 2017 but the market is kinda meh right now and the job market numbers this year are dismal.

Maybe five years was a bad prediction but the problems with Illinois still seem unsolved.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
I was slightly off by my prediction by 1 year. Social Security COLA for 2022 is 5.9%...inflation is taking off...and once Fed tapers in November and starts raising interest rates next year it will put downward pressure on the market. The most important factor in stock price valuations is interest rates. The higher the interest rates, the lower the valuation and vice versa.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:19 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_expat View Post
I don't think this is helping.

Everyone driving on the highway is smoking pot, judging from the odor. I don't imagine they'll ever pay enough taxes to fund pensions though.
I get around the city and suburbs alot and the strange thing that I've noticed is that there is less pot smell on the streets since legalization. YMMV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois