Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 18,780 times

Advertisements

We recently visited Galena with the idea of maybe moving there in the next 6 months. We like the rolling hills and farm country in the surrounding areas, however, we notice many, many For Sale signs in the city itself and lots in the Galena Territory. Why are people moving out? It seemed like a lot of For Sale signs for such a small town.

While doing some primary research we've noticed the property taxes are kinda high. Are there other soaring costs we don't know about (electric, water, other taxes)? Are the demographics changing?

From this forum it seems the HOA of Galena Territories is a factor there - people don't like the restrictions. I understand that, and I don't think we'd move there for that very reason, even though the area is lovely and some of the houses are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 02:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I think the demographics are a HUGE factor right now. Many of the folks selling are looking at what happens as they age and the relative distance to even Dubuque, where much of the region's shopping and healthcare is located -- not a convenient drive. Factor in the potential for congestion during a true regional emergency with just a few bridges across the Mississippi, relatively harsh winters (which can be fun when you have kids / grandkids that ski / sno-tube...), the relative separation from Chicago (where many folks had their primary income sources / work network), and the combination makes for a situation that is not attractive for an aging population.

Don't forget that many of even the newer homes were very likely built in prior decades when "long term low maintenance" was very different than today. In a weird way, although the regular sorts of a wear and tear on the interior of most homes is pretty minimal as the area is not really a "beach side" resort where sand side grinds up floors and such, the exterior elements like roofs and siding still need upkeep and even major appliances / systems become costly to repair based on age alone.

The trend for Illinois taxes to grow without bound is similarly a factor that scares off anyone without an "unlimited" income -- basically the only folks that fit into that category are politicians and their insider pals!

While utilities are not outrageous in Galena, neither are they particularly cheap -- the distance from population centers means that when there are things like power outages the speed to restore service can suffer too.

The area is quite scenic, and there are range of interesting shops / decent enough spots to eat, but compared to the boom in many suburban areas and the plethora or options inside Chicago itself the area fits into a "sleepier" category that is not as desirable to the healthier / younger retirees that prefer a more varied retirement.

Even when it comes to vacation goers the list of things that one can enjoy exclusively in the Galena area is pretty short. Boating on Lake Galena is a bit of joke, with a 10hp limit. Sailing is much more popular on even the inland lakes of Wisconsin and Michigan, to say nothing of the superior conditions on Lake Michigan. The range of "winter sports" that one can participate in Wisconsin & Michigan is similarly greater, and often involves a shorter trip.

Sorry if I sound negative, I do enjoy the scenic and historic features of Galena and the surrounding area. I have been to several friends' places and I appreciate the time that I have spent there but looking at the bigger picture the changes in the lifestyles that have happened since the the area peaked are unlikely to turn around. That view is almost certainly held by those ready to sell.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:29 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
That is some awesome knowledge Chet.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 18,780 times
Chet, thanks so much for some insight into the area. Some of the reasons we like the area is the "sleepiness," because we are more introverts and homebodies. We like outdoor things like camping and hiking and some biking and used to ski, so might sometimes visit Chestnut for an afternoon. But mostly we just like to putter around the house.

It just seemed a little odd that there seem to be so many For Sale signs in Galena itself. Thanks for providing some info.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I was up there last June as part of a cycling trip (TOMRV). It strikes me as a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
I've been to Galena for family vacations and went skiing at Chestnut once and it is a really nice town. I think most vacation destination towns have a high number of "For Sale" signs because owners always want to see if someone on vacation will bite and buy a vacation home for a high price. The thinking is "it's not really for sale...but if you love it here's a high price or make an offer". I've also found some for sale signs drive rentals so people will view the pics online and then see that it's available for rent as well. People like to look at houses while they're on vacation....at least I do. I've found the same is true in lake towns too.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Maybe a bit of truth, but distance factor is hard to dispute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I've been to Galena for family vacations and went skiing at Chestnut once and it is a really nice town. I think most vacation destination towns have a high number of "For Sale" signs because owners always want to see if someone on vacation will bite and buy a vacation home for a high price. The thinking is "it's not really for sale...but if you love it here's a high price or make an offer". I've also found some for sale signs drive rentals so people will view the pics online and then see that it's available for rent as well. People like to look at houses while they're on vacation....at least I do. I've found the same is true in lake towns too.
There are almost certainly some folks that will use the "For Sale" sign to help get folks interesting in doing a little game of "what if" and/or potentially rent the place for a weak or two, but there are real differences involved in getting to a spot like Lake Geneva, the smaller lakes of SE Wisconsin or even the "harbor country" of SW Michigan that are all well within a two hour drive of any spot in the suburbs and the three hour or so drive to Galena. Simply put, that distance means there are more impediments to using the place. That limits the utility of "name a price" and more or less means that lots of "For Sale" signs almost certainly lots of folks whose real intent is to sell, not to make out like a bandit...

There are similar dynamic at work comparing spots in Door County, which are are easy drive for folks working in Green Bay vs the relative "isolation" in a spot across Lake Michigan in Traverse City -- serious sellers are easy for the local real estate offices to price, while unrealistically high prices make it a guarantee that something gets "passed down to the kids"...

Old 09-14-2016, 09:52 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
People can no longer afford to own a second home and the aging population moving south.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM

Default I've said this before and LOTS of people still don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
People can no longer afford to own a second home and the aging population moving south.
The fact is income disparity is REAL. Folks that may have thought it would be "fun" to have a condo in the Gold Coast to spend more time enjoying Chicago or a "summer house" in "harbor country" have been told by their financial advisors that unless they truly have "money to burn" it simply is not prudent to have a secondary housing EXPENSE that is subject to nearly unlimited taxes, significantly higher "day-to-day" costs for even seemingly minor items, and generally a "wealth destroying" strategy as the demographic trends make real estate appreciate much less certain than when generations were ballooning.

The fact that spots like Galena were never as "upscale" makes the income disparity an even bigger issue.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times
We've always wanted to move to Galena, the town or the Territory, but 'we had hoped the Amtrak Blackhawk train would go through from Chicago to Rockford, Galena and Dubuque as planned. Sadly, with the state's budget stalemate that seems unlikely

Aside from that long drive from Chicago, I worry about not having the top health and dental care that we have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois