Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor who recently bought the house next door. He has a survey, and his survey tells him that the center of my fence posts are right on the boundary line.

Therefore he feels that the half of the post, vertically split down the middle, on his side of the property line is "on his property."

He is attempting to exploit this literal inch of post (the posts are 2" wide) by making me allow him to attach his new fence directly to my own, via my corner post on that side. Beyond that, he wants to put a door right at that corner, where my post would brace the impact of the door opening/closing, by his insertion of a latch on my post.

I have tried to look up case law on a disputes regarding fence posts themselves, but I haven't found any.

Does anyone have an informed perspective on this?

If your fence is on the line, is that good enough? Does that make the width of the posts negligible? Or does that half of the post on the other side of the line mean that I'm encroaching on my neighbors property?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,482,257 times
There is a fence set back just for this reason. Your fence or posts must remain completely on YOUR property and probably be set back from the property line (check restrictions).

Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,036,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelolo View Post
...does that half of the post on the other side of the line mean that I'm encroaching on my neighbors property?
Absolutely. Suck it up and let him use your post.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,353,292 times
Every state is a little different. He cannot MAKE you do one thing. The law can. He CANNOT attach anything to your fence until it is settled. I had one of the fence disputes that arose after we closed and took possession. It was 18 months to resolve it during which time our ownership was in limbo, and the banker was furious.

You need a lawyer because: the fence posts were installed before either of you owned either property. You do not know where the lot line was when it was installed or the prevailing law then. Because of the fence location, there is a "cloud" on one or both of those properties which places one or both of the home sales in limbo. You will save a lot of money by moving the fence 2 inches back from the lot line. However I would NOT do one thing before the county surveyor re-surveyed your property line. Just because your neighbot said, doesn't mean anything unless it is in writing.

You need a lawyer now. Notify your mortgager that holds title on your property that there is problem with the property line and neighbor's survey. One or both of the lawyers who wrote the opinions on these adjoining properties was wrong.

BTW, you neighbor will win because your fence post is 'encroaching' on his property. Maybe. It depends upon the survey of YOUR property, and your lawyer. I hit the Ttrifecta. The attorney who handled our dispute is a criminal defense/ family law/ mining, mineral and land lawyer.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 AM

Every state is a little different. He cannot MAKE you do one thing. The law can. He CANNOT attach anything to your fence until it is settled. I had one of the fence disputes that arose after we closed and took possession. It was 18 months to resolve it during which time our ownership was in limbo, and the banker was furious.

You need a lawyer because: the fence posts were installed before either of you owned either property. You do not know where the lot line was when it was installed or the prevailing law then. Because of the fence location, there is a "cloud" on one or both of those properties which places one or both of the home sales in limbo. You will save a lot of money by moving the fence 2 inches back from the lot line. However I would NOT do one thing before the county surveyor re-surveyed your property line. Just because your neighbot said, doesn't mean anything unless it is in writing.

You need a lawyer now. Notify your mortgager that holds title on your property that there is problem with the property line and neighbor's survey. One or both of the lawyers who wrote the opinions on these adjoining properties was wrong.

BTW, you neighbor will win because your fence post is 'encroaching' on his property. Maybe. It depends upon the survey of YOUR property, and your lawyer. My attorney is a criminal defense/family/property lawyer.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,433,361 times
Depending on how long your fence has been there, his 2" of property could possibly be your property now by virtue of adverse possession. In any case I'd seek clarification of the current legal status; if you have not gained adverse possession, try to get some resolution (maybe an easement?) that permits your fence to be partially on his property in exchange for his ability to use it. If nothing else it will clear up any questions that could otherwise complicate the sale of your property in the future.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,876 times
OMITTED DETAIL:

I'm sorry, I omitted one detail. I also have a survey, done 17 years ago. My survey show the fence, and shows that it is within our property line- POSTS included.

So my survey and his conflict in regards to the true location of the fence.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:31 AM

Herein lies your problem. Only ONE of the two surveys is correct. Contact your county to get the name of your county surveyor. Get the survey. You will probably need an attorney to remove the alleged "cloud" on your title.

To your neighbor, the only answer can be "No" until the property line is firmly established. Do not allow him to attach to your fence at this time. .

Quote:
OMITTED DETAIL:

I'm sorry, I omitted one detail. I also have a survey, done 17 years ago. My survey show the fence, and shows that it is within our property line- POSTS included.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
Quote:
OMITTED DETAIL:

Thanks!

What does the deed for the original property lines show?
Is it in line with your survey or his?

Hire an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area and get it settled legally for good.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

BTW, you neighbor will win because your fence post is 'encroaching' on his property. Maybe. It depends upon the survey of YOUR property, and your lawyer. I hit the Ttrifecta. The attorney who handled our dispute is a criminal defense/ family law/ mining, mineral and land lawyer.

You cannot say that for sure, you are not his attorney, the surveyor nor the judge so you would have no way to know the outcome of this issue and your opinion is "encroaching" on the arm chair attorney arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: