Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

My husband is really set on moving to Yorkville and I can't seem to agree. He is Mexican and I am African American. We have a son and another one on the way so we need a larger home. I think that Yorkville, based on my research is not diverse enough nor does it have enough amenities. The schools don't seem to be that great either. He works in Naperville and I stay at home. We did find a very beautiful home for a great price but I just don't know about the the area. I also noticed the schools to be split k-3, 4-6 and 7-8. How do your kid's seem to like that? Are there any black or hispanic people there or will it be uncomfortable for us? Please help. I want to raise my kids in a good area with good schools and friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM

19 posts, read 40,590 times
don't worry about it , IL is the melting pot and there no races issues in this state or its suburbs ,

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
someone that lived in yorkville just posted about them getting harassed cause they were black.. you can find that right here

Anyone else encounter racism in Yorkville, Sandwich and Plano, IL

Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 PM

610 posts, read 699,218 times
so... here's a realistic assessment of what you can expect.

I grew up in yorkville. if you live in (or work close enough to live in) Naperville, then I can kind of imagine the frame of reference you're coming from. I'm not black, so you can take what I say at face value... but I don't really be hanging out with too many white people so I can at least tell you what I've picked up from friends.

Yorkville is, for the most part, pretty race-neutral. A lot of the white kids that live here come from blue collar backgrounds, and are into hip hop and speak with street slang. And there are a decent number of Mexicans here. Nowhere near as many as Plano, which has like half the population, but a lot. Mexicans and white folks get a long just fine, and most black and white people do too. I will tell you, though, there is still a subtle, albeit existent sort of cultural friction that I think happens between black and white people there. For example, I do think some of the older, more conservative, insular white folks will take black people who speak with a frank tone and a city accent as rude or having an attitude. It's mostly not that way, but it can happen. And I think if you work in some of the more well-to-do, lily-white towns, you can't expect to get away with coming back at supervisors with the same straightforwardness as some of your white coworkers could without getting reported to HR for being rude or whatever b/s they pull. This is true of most of the black friends I've worked with under white supervisors. Really, those are honestly some of the heaviest negative racial interactions I encountered there. I'd say, for the most part, it's relatively race-neutral. Definitely not hood though.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Twelve million people live in Illnois. The vast mast majority are in or near Cook County which includes Chicago. The only county in America that is larger is Los Angeles. From my personal experience most rural towns are very clannish and biased toward anyone who did not have family from there, or was not raised there. The farther you live from a large city, such as Chicago, the longer it takes to blend into the community, school system, churches, etc.. It is what it is. Illinois is no different than any other state when it comes to race relations.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,997 times
Default Any Change

Hi, I am years late on this and for that I apologize but due to employment relocation I’m looking to move to Yorkville. This is a huge difference from Miami, FL but what can I say when opportunities knock you can Either answer it or ignore it. I chose to answer, this tread seemed to bother me because Miami is very diverse. And quite honestly it feels like racism is non existent. Can anyone tell me if there has been any change in this over the years. Just wondering because the homes are beautiful but I have three kids to look after and I would die if I put them in an area where they can’t be comfortable in their own skin.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I suspect any racial friction would be more a left vs right political thing vs actual racial animosity. African Americans tend to lean left and a lot of folks outside of Cook county tend to lean more right and are frustrated and angry by the poor governance and woke, nanny state crap coming from the leftists in Cook county and being imposed on the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois