Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:22 PM

48 posts, read 83,318 times

Advertisements

There's a new book on Cairo's turbulent history in the 1970 called "Faith in Black Power: Religion, Race, and Resistance in Cairo, Illinois (Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century)" by Kerry Pimblott. A look on Amazon will give a sense of the contents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Cairo mayor 'distraught,' 'frustrated' after HUD eviction notice - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Looks like HUD is kicking people out of housing complexes. Its probably time to let the rivers take Cairo and just finish the place off. Sounds like that place died a long time ago.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:16 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Mark Twain once described Cairo as the Promised Land. Of course that was over a century ago. Being right at the junction of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, it probably was prosperous at the time.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Cairo mayor 'distraught,' 'frustrated' after HUD eviction notice - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Looks like HUD is kicking people out of housing complexes. Its probably time to let the rivers take Cairo and just finish the place off. Sounds like that place died a long time ago.
That's not going to happen. What will happen is that Cairo will assume the same status of dozens of other small towns of <5,000 population in this far end of the state. People from out of the area don't know the names of these places, and don't care to know. Cairo's notorious past is the only thing that draws attention to it. That and the race card.

No other town of Cairo's size draws so many number of threads on this forum. Some posters seem to have an obsession with it.

Nothing to see there, that isn't going elsewhere in far southern IL. Just that the other places are predominantly white.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
I just took a stroll through it on streetview and it sure does look pretty bad. Especially that old hospital and the other urban decay. The streetview images are from Nov 2015 or 2013, anybody know if has gotten better or worse since then?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I just took a stroll through it on streetview and it sure does look pretty bad. Especially that old hospital and the other urban decay. The streetview images are from Nov 2015 or 2013, anybody know if has gotten better or worse since then?
well its not going to get better

Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
well its not going to get better
That's what I would have thought as well.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker wants the state to spend $40 million to develop a river port in Cairo, where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet.

The rest of the story: https://wrex.com/2020/02/28/governor...port-in-cairo/

Old 02-29-2020, 10:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
there are tons of well done documentaries regarding Cairo back in the late 1800's and early 20th century when it was a tremendous thriving town for business, theater and more. Almost hard to believe it just decayed. Indeed racism hastened it's complete demise in the 1960's. A very sad but true situation. I remember when I was attending SIU in 72 it was hitting the skids big time with racial tensions and unrest causing the whites to head out altogether. A bit like what happened to the South Side of Chicago. I turned 13 and we moved and within several years after it was "white flight" at its heaviest and now the former neighborhood (Jeffrey Manor) is a drug/gang ridden mess with shootings on a regular basis.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:49 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
there are tons of well done documentaries regarding Cairo back in the late 1800's and early 20th century when it was a tremendous thriving town for business, theater and more. Almost hard to believe it just decayed. Indeed racism hastened it's complete demise in the 1960's. A very sad but true situation. I remember when I was attending SIU in 72 it was hitting the skids big time with racial tensions and unrest causing the whites to head out altogether. A bit like what happened to the South Side of Chicago. I turned 13 and we moved and within several years after it was "white flight" at its heaviest and now the former neighborhood (Jeffrey Manor) is a drug/gang ridden mess with shootings on a regular basis.
So, in your opinion, is the neighborhood's decline the fault of white people for abandoning it? Seriously, is "White Flight" perceived as "White people are racist", or is it "White people have low tolerance for street crime, and move to better areas, when said crime begins to increase?" I myself am in the latter category, I'll live next door to anybody, providing they act reasonably with respect to their kids' behavior, trash, noise, and upkeep, and leave me and my stuff alone, as I would assume most people are. My own experience similar to yours was in Marquette Park, pretty much a shell of its former (much more desirable) self. Much of which, by the way, is a result of the decline in manufacturing on the south side. China's (and Mexico's) gain has largely been Chicago's loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois