Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM

36 posts, read 115,681 times

Advertisements

Hi, all
I have a potential job offer in Peoria Heights. While everyone in these forums has been very generous in their evaluation of Peoria as "great for families & kids", we're "empty-nesters" and I am looking for an area that's good for a middle-aged couple with dogs.
I've been doing about a week's worth of research into all the features, demographics, etc., and I'm excited about the Riverfront, all the parks and natural areas, the people and the social scenes. However, I do have a few questions:

-I'm concerned about the cost of heating a home; I used to live in New Jersey, so I'm used to fairly chilly winters (although I know I can expect lower temperatures and more snow), but I'm wondering - are homes mostly heated by oil, natural gas, or electricity, and what kind of prices are you paying per therm, etc. and what could I expect an average bill to run for a 2 bed/2 bath?

-I notice a lot of the homes on the market are 1 bath - is that typical, or am I seeing them listed because they're not selling because they're only 1 bath (most homes in the areas I've lived are minimum 2 bath).

-What's up with the crime rate? It seems so disproportionate to the national average, especially considering all the other great things about the area. Is there a specific reason, such as a recent decrease in the police force or some social issue that's impacted the demographics in the area?

-What area would you recommend for us to live? While we aren't crotchety old farts chasing kids off our lawn (yet!) we are looking to avoid neighborhoods that would have kids riding their bikes all over and taking over the streets with their basketball hoops. We'd prefer a quiet area that's got an older demographic.

-And finally, if you're a middle-aged or older couple yourselves, please list some of the things you appreciate about the area that you think we'd enjoy too!

Thanks, and wish me luck on the job!

Last edited by midnightrose227; 10-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I would take the comments about Peoria being a wonderful place to raise kids with about 40 lbs block of salt -- demographic trends in Illinois are not great. Incomes are not moving in the right direction and population is shifting.

You are largely correct that the homes with 1 bath are sitting on the market, the age of housing stock does turn off buyers. Coupled with negative price trends it makes little sense to expand / update homes.

Crime is tied to lack of opportunity -- drug abuse is a big problem and gangs with ties to Chicago increase violence.

Illinois does not have a "law and order" government. There are too many idiots that still vote for loser with a (D) next to their name. Until that sort of mindless voting pattern changes you can count on things getting worse.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
If you think Peoria has a crime problem look at Chicago, and some of the other cities. Peoria is a port city on a river. It is not unusual for any river/lake city to have a different crime rate. It has always been this way. However Peoria is dealing with it. They just picked up 15 members of the worst gang. They are gone for a few years. Peoria is putting more cops on the streets, too.

The majority of the crime in Peoria is gang families related, and in specific areas. Factually, you find very little of it in Peoria Heights. Other than gangs and drug related non-sense in Peoria, the other crimes is small potatoes covered by car and house insurance. I live in a 1/1 that was recently insulated, and I added new e-windows. I use CFL lights. My latest gas/lights is $80. It is always higher in the winter and summer.

IL is a AG state that a very humid state due to the large amount of corn produced and large bodies water in the state. The Illinois river divides the state. The Mississipi is the western border and the Ohio river is the southern border.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM

562 posts, read 989,798 times
Peoria Heights is generally pretty safe, even if much of the homes look older (they do to me, at least) and having dogs certainly won't be a problem and most of the crime is really bad south of I-74 near Bradley University (where I live) and further south and west of that. Notoriously, we call it "going down the hill" which is literally down the west bluff where things are on the seedy side. I don't largely think that is relevant to where you will be living, though.

As far as being away from "kids" my suggestion is stay where you are in Peoria Heights or maybe somewhere further north or northwest. Apparently, that's the real nice and safe areas to live right now. As a nearly graduating college student with a job already, I sure hope I can live somewhere I won't be robbed or have my car vandalized without having to sacrifice much on food...or internet access. :P

Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM

223 posts, read 662,762 times
Peoria Heights is very charming, and there are certainly other quaint, even quiet neighborhoods in Peoria. There are many nice shops and restaurants, and Peoria Heights is well-located, making it easy to get to places further north, park district facilities and the library off of Lake Street (though the Heights has its own library), downtown, for example. I would speak with a realtor about areas that might be of interest to you. I believe there might even be a golf community or two (Weaver Ridge) that might be quieter or might appeal to empty-nesters; (Linicx -- is this correct?). There are also some nice condo/duplex/townhome developments tucked away in various pockets of north Peoria. I think a realtor could also show you properties that are on more land, maybe further from neighbors and busy neighborhood streets and maybe not part of a particular development or subdivision. Just a thought. I personally would not be worried about crime or safety issues in Peoria Heights -- just my two cents. Also, the Forest Park Nature Center is a a very nice local nature facility that is in Peoria Heights. I believe it has trails; not sure if dogs are allowed, but it's worth a visit.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM

223 posts, read 662,762 times
btw, I'm guessing that it depends what price range you're looking in and size of home, but I would think you'd have no problem finding properties with more than one bath.

Edit - 5 things to do/I appreciate about the area (I'm not an empty-nester but grew up in Peoria and know it well):

1. pretty
2. Grandview Drive -- have a picnic, walk your dogs
3. Cornstock Theatre in the summer -- unique theater-in-the-round that is perfect on a summer evening
4. great small-town feel without being in too small of a town
5. fantastic Park District with offerings for all ages -- e.g., Vagabond Tours through the Park District offers trips to Chicago, elsewhere in IL, even farther
6. getting around is easy -- wide streets, 4-lane highways, getting from place to place is very simple (I live in the Chicago suburbs and streets where are live are 2-lane, tight, slow-moving, or often one-way)
7. Tanner's Orchard -- fun for anyone -- great apple-picking and excellent apple cider

Last edited by Doglover5; 10-26-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 AM

What I enjoy is the area - a solitary drive along Old Rome Road, or quick trip to Spring Bay to the Village Inn for a handmade tenderloin sandwich larger than the plate and real french fries that aren't frozen first. Cornstock Theater is the only tented theater in the round in Central Illinois. It is a beautiful drive to Eureka on US 24. The college holds the Reagan Museum that's filled with items by him that are not found anywhere else.
The Chanticleer has excellent food and a good bar. If you happen to sail and you own a boat, don't sell it. Bring it; the 100 year old lllinois Valley Canoe and Yacht Club is for you. Peoria offers theatre all year. If you like Dinner Theater you might like Conklin's Barn II at Goodfield. You can take a ride in a horse drawn carriage, sleep in a feather bed on cotton sheets, enjoy dinner at a Michelin Open Table restaurant, listen to live jazz, taste a chocolate martini, or create your own brew at the microbrewery, or have an evening swim or take and evening cruise. It's all downtown and it's all near the new Riverfront Museum.

You might like a riverfront loft or apartment that overlooks the river. You might find a place in the Twin Towers. If you like to tinker you might enjoy the Wheels O' Time Museum and see a piece or two of Peoria history. There are also several historical trolley tours; Peoria has 19 historical districts. If their still around you mate might be able to still find hand rolled cigars, and you might be able to find the glass blower. You can still go to the Twin Towers and have your shoes shined. You can find all types of sports and social groups. You can shop til you drop in two malls and a dozen shopping centers. And when you're thoroughly bored you can sleep to the wolf lullaby at the Wildlife zoological park. With 600 miles of roads, there is plenty to expire without ever leaving Peoria County.

Before you buy a house keep one thing in mind. Real estate taxes in every Illinois county is cheaper than living in any city. The trade off is distance and convenience. Do you want to be 10 minutes from a hospital or 30? It did not make as much difference to me at 55 as it did at 63 with a sick mate that was handed a death sentence. When we moved I chose to be 4 blocks from the hospital on a US highway. The 2 things I was positive of: the highway would be cleared and the ambulance can slog through most snow drifts. I was right but thankfully I never needed it in a snow storm.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 115,681 times
Thanks to everyone for their generous and descriptive input. We're looking at coming for a site visit the first week of December and we're hoping it will be a productive time.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Weather is unpredictable in December. That could work to your advantage as either a renter or buyer. If the weather is especially cold and awful landlords and sellers tend to be willing to accept a much lower offer than they otherwise would -- the psychology of having a property sit vacant in bad weather versus taking a reduced price to ensure that nothing is "hanging over one's head" regarding potential frozen pipes / snow loaded roofs makes for a good bargain.

If the weather is unseasonably pleasant you can more easily see a wider range of housing options more quickly. If you remind sellers / landlords that you "generally would not be looking this far away from work, except for the unusually pleasant weather" this too can be viable means of getting a better value a little farther away. ( I would caution that drives of more 20 miles or so around Peoria can expose one to some pretty miserable road conditions during winter storms and if your are unsure of your driving abilities / car's capabilities such a distance ought to be respects...)

Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Driving on ice and snow in any city is not pleasant. You should not experience it in early December in Peoria, but you may get rain. Night temperatures normally hover around 35 and day temperatures will be somewhat warmer. The two things you will not encounter is the Lake effect conditions or the ungodly miserable traffic in Chicago. There is a big difference between 20 miles in Peoria and 45-60 minutes in Chicago. Just exactly how "bad" road conditions are 20 miles from Peoria Heights depends solely upon where you live and the streets you chose to drive on. You would avoid Forest Park Drive but not Grandview Drive. There is no reason to avoid the normal high traffic roads such as Lake, Glen, Prospect, War Memorial, Knoxville or University. Peorians tend to exercise caution and drive slower in bad weather. Black Ice and White Out weather creates very dangerous driving conditions for everyone. Leave early and stay home -- especially if you chose to not live in Peoria or Peoria Heights. It won't change weather conditions, but you will have more and better lighted streets in the city.

Get a 7 day forecast for zip code 61614 with Hazardous Weather Conditions here:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...61614%2C%20USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois