Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

I just found out that i am being underpayed by my employer! I am always being told I am the best superviser at my store! And was asked by the company in Jan to complete training modules to be promoted to ast Manager. I did complete all training in a timely manner on my own time at home without being payed for hundreds of hrs ( aprox 320 hrs). 2 new employees during this time have been hired in, Placed in a managment training program, brought into the store I work at. Completed the exact same training i did! All of their training was performed on the store computer with pay! they worked 40 hrs a week during this time given 20 hrs a week in the office to complete the modules and 20 hrs a week on floor training. I am a superviser which means I had and still have a huge part in helping teach them how to perform task that are a large part of running the store everyday. I recently found out that they both are being payed aprox $5.00 more an hr that I am. I am always there for my boss! changing my shedule to help them. I was the one that ran the store while my mamager was gone on maturity leave for 10 weeks, everyone came to me to control all issues!! being that the other 2 new superviser's didn't have all their training completed at the time..I am having a huge problem with this information! I knew their pay was higher but had nooo idea it was to this degree!!! I need advice about how to handle this new info with my boss..
Please help
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,030,161 times
If you believe you're being taken advantage of that badly, the only rational thing to do is to start shopping for another place to work. You "handle" it with your boss by giving him your two weeks notice once you've secured a new position.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM

398 posts, read 546,243 times
Your first mistake was selling yourself cheap.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that you were not compensated for all of that free "crisis intervention" that you did while you boss was gone, right? Bet you thought it would catch somebody's eye, right? Instead, the outcome was that you busted your butt and the only reward you got was the personal sense in a job well-done, right?

While I probably would have found a more sensitive or diplomatic way to put it, I personally think Madpaddy has a handle on this. If you know for a fact that you are getting shafted I wouldn't wait around to be the one who gets sent out for cigarettes afterwards. :-p

FWIW.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,718 times
I understand your situation, because mine is similar. My advice to get the heck away. I'm also overworked, under-appreciated and most of all, underpaid. That's why I am going full-speed ahead in my job search.

Last edited by Deadeye77; 10-30-2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 AM

174 posts, read 371,489 times
Go to your boss and have a talk. Tell he or she how you feel. If you don't get the results you want then consider your options. Don't just jump and quit until you see if you can get a fair shake.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,030,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper54 View Post
Go to your boss and have a talk. Tell he or she how you feel. If you don't get the results you want then consider your options. Don't just jump and quit until you see if you can get a fair shake.

I disagree. Always have an exit plan in place before you accuse your boss of not appreciating your value. You never know where that conversation might go.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM

155 posts, read 348,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper54 View Post
I disagree. Always have an exit plan in place before you accuse your boss of not appreciating your value. You never know where that conversation might go.
Either way may be right depending on your company. Where I currently work, I would feel completely comfortable approaching my boss, discussing my value to the company and how my compansation seems to be incongruent with my value. Other companies which I have worked for in the past, this would be a career limiting move, to say the least.

From what the OP describes, the OP may want to set up a meeting with the boss in order to rant about how unfair the OP's pay is compared to his colleagues. If this is the case, the better move would be to start looking for employment elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois