Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

^ but if you rent an apartment in Chicago without a car, taxes are much cheaper!

I don't pay gas tax, and I don't pay property tax.

All I pay are sales taxes, and 3% of my income as State Income Tax.

I don't really think it's too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
California's problem is that they have to rely on the wealthy population to pay for the social welfare of their massive hispanic underclass. The middle class has been taxed out of California for about a decade now. You have the haves out there and the have nots, who rely on the welfare tax dollars of the haves (for free government medical care, college tuition, free school lunches, welfare checks etc.)

Illinois has different circumstances. Its largley rural and suburban area's forking over tax dollars to the behemoths of chicago and cook county.
All true...you make a good point. I'm not sure California's so different, though. About 2/3 of CA is in the three major metro areas (Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego, from largest to smallest). Illinois has ~3/4 of its population counted in Chicagoland. Voter differences between major metro areas and those outside of the major metro areas are pretty significant in both states, as are the attitudes and dependance on welfare programs. The difference is that Illinois seems to be able to do it more efficiently than California - maybe because taxation relies more heavily in Illinois on local property taxes, where the folks in charge of spending the money are your neighbors and go to your churches? In CA, the tax burden is a lot more heavily shifted to state income taxes (quoted rate at my family's income was ~7%, but in practice was closer to ~10%) - those spending the money are further removed from their constituents at the state level, making it easier to get away with pork barrel spending. This is the reason I'd rather pay higher property tax rates as here in TX or up in IL.

The only difference in CA and IL is that in real $, we probably would pay close to the same. Property taxes in CA are capped at a low rate, but are paid on our inflated property values. Where those dollars in CA, go, though, I have no idea. By and large, it certainly isn't to the schools.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
That's the reason I am moving out of Illinois in a few months. Cost of living in the Chicago area is ridiculous!
Us too. Once are kids are thru school [i've got one left in HS]
then Dh and I are seriously considering moving out of state.

Real estate taxes are driving us out.

Quote:
but if you rent an apartment in Chicago without a car, taxes are much cheaper!

that may be true ... but renting you are gaining no equity.

When we move and sell our home, hopefully for a profit, and down size to a small home, we'll be able to stick a chunk in the bank for retirement... or at least to live off of for a few years.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
that may be true ... but renting you are gaining no equity.
Perhaps, but you are saving money/time in many other ways.

And if you want to rent for the rest of your life (which many people prefer), then it dosent really matter.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Yes, but to most people part of that "American Dream" is owning your own home.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Thanks for that link. It's amazing to see what our teachers make.

I do know that some have been around a long time, as I had them when i was there, and they all, but 1 were making well over 100k a year.

I have a lot of family who are retired from education, no wonder they are doing so well in retirement.

I for one am looking to leave IL due to the taxes once my kids are out of school and hopefully on their own.
We had to leave Illinois. Due to the real estate, gas, sales and many other taxes in in Illinois we had to either lose our home or move. We choose to move and we are living better in Colorado making less money. We have a larger home with a nice lot and a lot less stress. MOD EDIT; please read th rules is a wonderful resource that uncovers the outrageous government and salaries and pensions that are taxing middle class people out of the state. The biggest offender is the teacher's union which funds many of Illinois corrupt politicians. Let's just say they know where their bread it buttered. You can be sure that I won't be voting for Obama. I wouldn't want the corruption and tax increases that the democratic controlled Cook County has done to Illinois. Cook County has been controlled by the democrats for decades so you know what Obama will do in Washington!

Last edited by linicx; 06-01-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM

313 posts, read 596,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ but if you rent an apartment in Chicago without a car, taxes are much cheaper!

You pay your landlord's property tax. I'm not sure how that's better.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Georgia - I don't think that 11% sales tax will ever see the light of day. Stroger (the guy who wants this) is an incompetent hack who wasn't even elected. I vocally opposed this notion to my local elected officials, and anyone whose head isn't firmly stuck where the sun does not shine (e.g. anyone who isn't Stroger) will not go for it. I would be shocked if there was a sales tax increase beyond .25% (which I am also opposed to).

Do we need to clean house, absolutely, but I think the talk of an 11% sales tax for the city of chicago is just a lot of hot air and scare tactics by a guy who nobody respects.

.... that being said, while I certainly have a long list of things about Daley I don't like. I will admit to having voted for him a few times because, honestly, there was no other viable candidate, and having lived in the Chicagoland area since the 1970's, I've seen the improvement of the city first hand under his tenure. That does not excuse his excesses and corruption, but out of all of the hacks we've have inhabiting city hall, he's certainly not the worst of the lot.
\

This was a quote from 07. Guess he got it wrong.
Shame on IL people for allowing this to happen. I have been here for 1/2 year now and consider this one of the dumber places I have been just because of the lack of interest in local gov't.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
\

This was a quote from 07. Guess he got it wrong.
Shame on IL people for allowing this to happen. I have been here for 1/2 year now and consider this one of the dumber places I have been just because of the lack of interest in local gov't.
I agree this was really the last straw for me. I just graduated college and am moving to Athens, Ga for my new job and couldn't be happier. I am trying to get my mother to leave here before the *** democrats rob her completely of her life savings but the housing market is causing here to stay. Really a bad situation for those that want to leave but can't because they'd loose all their equity in their homes.

Last edited by linicx; 06-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: improper language.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,866 times
I was searching the internet about what I was seeing for property taxes in Illinois. I was offered a position with a large company located there and was checking home prices. I can't believe the residents of Illinois put up with property tax rates that are so high along with all the other higher cost rates of the extended Chicago metro area. The taxpayers of Illinois need to revolt. I rescinded my acceptance of the position and told the company they should look to another state to locate in. To my surprise they indicated they were actually developing plans to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois