Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,543,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Someone mentioned earlier .. about living in a small community / town will give you lower taxes ....

I wonder how many of these "small towns" now have new schools to pay for and how they are paying for them??

Some towns I know that built new schools are -
Edwardsville
Jerseyville (2)
Carollton
Carlinville

Anyone in these areas care to share how your taxes were before the schools and then after?
I live in a small town of 3500 or so. Carlyle, IL . I am taxed at $105,000 and paid $2500 last year.

To me that is ridiculously high especially since we are 50 miles away from St. Louis.

I lived 20 Miles outside of KC before in Missouri and we were taxed about 1000 on a 90,000 condo.

Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 AM

453 posts, read 1,629,721 times
Just got a letter yesterday from my mortgage company that house payment is going up $50 a month due to increases in TAXES. I started out 4 years ago at $1800 now they are almost $4000 a year.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,344,201 times
Oh how fun NOT!!

We were told we were over taxed for the last 4 years -ok so I want a credit or something right? Nope not happening!

So this year was interesting .. I got 2 tax bills ........ my farm is and has been all on one ...... they found away around there stupid mistake ...

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
I currently own a home in decatur (macon county) are schools are pathetic to say the
least our home has a current value of $166000 we pay $3800 in property taxes and
they have been raised 3 times since we purchased the home in 2001.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,302,469 times
Homeowners in any city pay for city schools and city services. County homeowners do not pay for city schools or city services. The taxes on any home older than 100 years is cheaper than a house that is 70 years old.

You must live in a home from one January to the next January. A primarary residence is eligible for homestead deduction. It is not eleigble if it is not a primary residence, or if it is a rental union.

Tax breaks are issued to over 65, handicapped, and all military- active or not. .

Every county has an appeal board. I appealed on the basis that the selling price was inflated and I had a current approaisal. My tax bill was reduced $1600 in taxes. Houses are taxed extra for a garage, paved driveway, attached three-season room, basement - whether it is full or part. size, one story vs two story.*

Illinois is the sixth most populated state. Illinois taxes are no worse than WI, IA, MI or IN. What I learned from living in southern sates is that low taxes mean consmetics are everything for their is little else. Education is poor, medical sevices are lousy, and there are few senior services - unless you pay for them. There is Circuit Breaker for seniors, no low/no cost home care.

You pray every day no one in your family has a serious illness or life threatening injury. Survival odds are lousy. The only way to avoid it is to live in or very near a large town of over 500.000 or near a town that has a majoy university - even then it is no guarantee, but the chances for surviral improve considerably.

Its nice to trade snow for sun. You get used to the rest. You lean how to get round poor health standards by drinking bottled water and only eating food freshly fried and never a salad. You would be surprised at how many fingers was in a glass before you ever go it.... same for silverware. This what you get when you ask for low taxes. On the other hand you can go to Las Vegas where there are no real-estate taxes and great medical care. Before Katrina there was no taxes in Louisiana either,

Ilinois still has a flat 3% income tax and 1% on groceries. It amazing what 8% difference makes in groceries.at the end of one year.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM

66 posts, read 261,279 times
Nice try Linicx but Iliinois is already very, very expensive and it's only going to get worse because of the lousy government. This state is almost bankrupt and taxes are all going to be going up. I have lived in ~8 states and these are the highest taxes I've ever paid...I mean, look at the states you compare it to...they're terrible! I am sick of paying for all of the entitlement programs for all of the low achievers. I don't mind helping someone truly in need but I see a lot of waste. And, you sure are quick to cast all southern states as bad with your subjective opinions but they are in a lot better shape. I don't see any difference in service when dealing with washing dishes; your logic escapes me??? Also, businesses sure love the south because they are right to work states...does that tell you something? You can keep your snow and unemployeed union people getting $800 a week unemployment when they only work long enough each year to qualify...what a sham. I'm a tax payer who's fed up.

See this: http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...iativeID=55888

Last edited by waldo; 02-20-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,302,469 times
I don't know any state in good shape financially. I guess the solution is not live in Illinois or live in an a town you can afford.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 AM

174 posts, read 371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
My taxes in southern IL are running 2547.00 with an increase of 130.00 this year pushing it to 2677 and that’s nothing fancy either, now I did a comparison as I’m sure others have of different locations, mine was between southern IL and cookeville TN, mine in southern IL running 2547 vs. the same home/land value in cookeville TN comparing apples to apples would run 839, VA and SC were also compared and ran right in the 650 - 800 range, MO I didn’t run but am somewhat curious how it would compare.

So yup IL is totally out of control especially the northern half, do i see living in the state of IL in my future, ahhh nope.
I owned a home in the KY lake area a little larger than the one I live in now, which is IL. My taxes were 2040.00 in KY and in IL they are9400.00. It's because of the way the school system is funded. THe majority of money that goes to the schools is from real estate taxes. other state don't pay for schools just on the back of real estate taxes like IL.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 17,519 times
Try researching this site, it has information on all 50 states complete taxes: Retirement Living - Taxes by State: New York - Wyoming

Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 PM

71 posts, read 275,392 times
Well leaving here would be a great choice! We are considering a move to Georgia in the summer ourselves strongly!!!! Where you get more for your money....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois