Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 50,033 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be taking early retirement (very early retirment for me - as hubby is 10 years my senior) and would like to move to Southern Illinois. My father was born in East St. Louis and grew up in Carmi, IL. I am inviting any suggest, comments, suggestions and advice from anyone familiar with the Southern Illinois area as to a future good place to relocate. We are in Northern Illinois now.

I see reference to "Floodplain Maps" on the Internet concerning Southern Illinois. Okay, give me the bad news gently -- where are the floodplains (which counties do they involve)? What towns would be good to stay away from because of this?

How about Fairfield, Salem, Flora, Iuka, McLeansboro or the environs? Our first thought was between Mt. Vernon and Marion, IL but we are open to suggestions.

Jobs would not be a factor (we are leaving the work force). We are willing to go to a nearby big city every once in a while (othern than getting groceries) to do major shopping. We are especially are looking for a rural or farm community (I want to see corn fields from my window) and about 3 - 5 acres outside of town (not too far away from town, though). Maximum price: around $200,000.

Any advice or suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thank you.

CrochetCrazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 PM

404 posts, read 714,239 times
A while back I found an Illinois real estate site that listed farms for sale well within your price range. There are also so many cheap houses in southern Illinois, you could easily start a management company with 200K if you need so income.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,428,815 times
If you're worried about flood plains, you can always get a flood zone determination on a house before you buy it. If you finance part of the purchase, a determination is required anyway for insurance purposes. Nonetheless if you're worried about floods, you'll certainly want to stay away from Cairo -- the city is basically walled in by levees to protect it from both the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers. Not to mention it's a ghost town anyway.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 AM

474 posts, read 2,543,007 times
Default Nason, Illinois Is A Very Good Choice

Dear Friends:

Why not consider Nason, IL? It is a very beautiful but small town that also includes many retirement folks. Nason, with a zip code of 62866, is located about one mile north of Rend Lake's northern shore. Nason is 11 miles SW of Mount Vernon. Also on the eastern shore of Rend Lake is a very nice state park known as Wayne Fitzgerald.
Vacant lots are available in Nason for about $1K each lot. A lot is about 150 feet X 50 feet and in many cases, can be purchased as consecutive / adjacent lots. That is what I have done with my own property. I own five consecutive lots that total very close to one acre of beautiful vacant land.
If interested in Nason, locate a realtor either in Mt. Vernon or West Frankfort, Illinois. I hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

CARTER GLASS

Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 PM

7 posts, read 29,801 times
I grew up in Flora and lived there for 18 years. I still get back there often for work. I know the Fairfield, Salem, Iuka, etc., well.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM

285 posts, read 1,070,232 times
Between Marion and Mt vernon is perfect for you. I'm 22 and lived here all of my life, so I absolutely deplore the area.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,800 times
Albion IL is a wonderful place to life. They are within easy driving of both Evansville Indiana and Henderson Kentucky. They have a IGA, Dollar General, hardware store, McDonalds, Subway, a couple gas stations and two funeral homes just to name a few of the businesses in town. They are only 1/2 hour from Carmi and the nicest people live there (and I'm not talking about my own family members that still live there). It sounds just to mean just what you are looking for!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 30,246 times
Marion is a very nice little town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetCrazy View Post
My husband and I will be taking early retirement (very early retirment for me - as hubby is 10 years my senior) and would like to move to Southern Illinois. My father was born in East St. Louis and grew up in Carmi, IL. I am inviting any suggest, comments, suggestions and advice from anyone familiar with the Southern Illinois area as to a future good place to relocate. We are in Northern Illinois now.

I see reference to "Floodplain Maps" on the Internet concerning Southern Illinois. Okay, give me the bad news gently -- where are the floodplains (which counties do they involve)? What towns would be good to stay away from because of this?

How about Fairfield, Salem, Flora, Iuka, McLeansboro or the environs? Our first thought was between Mt. Vernon and Marion, IL but we are open to suggestions.

Jobs would not be a factor (we are leaving the work force). We are willing to go to a nearby big city every once in a while (othern than getting groceries) to do major shopping. We are especially are looking for a rural or farm community (I want to see corn fields from my window) and about 3 - 5 acres outside of town (not too far away from town, though). Maximum price: around $200,000.

Any advice or suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thank you.

CrochetCrazy

Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,212 times
Default Albion IL is a great place to live!

May I add my support to another poster who mentioned Albion IL? You will find cornfields, and you will NOT find flooding! If it is small town peace and quiet you seek, it can be found here. All your basic needs can be met here, and the surrounding towns of Olney, Mt. Carmel, and Fairfield have hospitals, golf courses and community colleges, WalMarts and some of the other extras! Come and visit us! Call the Albion City Hall and make arrangements for our Mayor to give you a personal tour of our town. He will be happy to do that, and introduce you to some of the local people. We have several local real estate agents who could research available homes that might suit your needs. We would welcome you to our community!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,557,933 times
My vote goes for marion, i get a vote don't i , rolling hills just to the south and east, not too far from ky lake, smaller lakes galore, 2 nice little forest preserves, peach, apple orchards all over down on rt 51 & 127 south cobdon and jonesboro, no flooding problems, lots to offer down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois