Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 15,665 times

Advertisements

Hi! Me and my husband currently live in Pocahontas Arkansas and are thinking about moving to southern Ill. I have never visited any part of that state but we both enjoy outdoor activities, rural, small town living but also near larger towns with decent jobs. We are horse trainers and would like to do that in Illinois. We were thinking of Union county or perhaps near Carbondale?
What areas of southern Ill. have quite a bit of horses and overall good opportunity for finding work?

We have been checking real estate online and it all seems very high compared to where we live now and the places in MO we were checking on. We need to find a place to rent that allows pets too but ultimately we would want to buy a small farm, more than 5 acres.

Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 12:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,289,865 times
Illinois is the #1 & #2 producer of soybeans and corn in the United States. The average farm is 1000 acrea. A small ranch with a dozen cows, a horse and a ATV is 40 hilly, heavily foliaged acres - at least in central Illinois it is.. There is probably a bigger need for a man who can shoe, than a horse trainer.Some if these old cowboys have been breaking their own horses for 50 years and training them to cut cattle. Admittedly I have not looked for land, but I would be surprised if you can find 5 unimproved, unfenced acres for $10K.

Taxes are outrageous and job prospects are not good in rural Illinois. We are the 6th largest state with the 3rd largest mMetro in America. The only hospital in the midwest that is ranked in the top 25 is Barnes-Jewish in St. Lewis.

I iived for many years in the AR/KS/MO/OK area. I've watched some training, and been to more than one small local herding and cutting competiton, and the enormous barns where the visiting Budweiser horses are stabled. It is interesting, but if I wanted to go where horses are and at least have a chance of finding employment I would look in Oklahoma and stay 20+ miles NW or SE of I-40 to avoid twisters.

Tulsa has some very good hospitals and it is beautiful country with many things to do, and you may also find some nice land around Little Kansas, OK on US 69s (south of 69/412 intersection) or near 412 between the AR border and Tulsa. It it is georgeous country and nicer in winter than So IL. I have had experience with 2 Tulsa hospitals. Baptisst -Integris is partnered with a small hospital in Grove; The Catholic hospital did heart surgery. My family was treated well in both hospitals. My experience was much better than any of the four Hospitals in MO. (Springfield, Carthage, Columbia and Joplin).

I cannot speak for OKC because I have never been there. The western half of OK is more desolate, the towns are smaller and farther apart and the land is red clay all the way into Eastern Texas. . I do like the area around Shamrock, TX., very much, but you're far removed from a large hospital (2-4 hours).

To give you an idea about IL real estate taxes I have a 1bd, 1ba on a 1/2 acre in a small town 50 miles from a large city of 100,000 or nore. My real estate taxes are $2500. My taxes in OK in the county in a plated subdivision on a 1 acre improved lot was $238 + personal property. My 1/2 improved in a small town in MO was $700 + personal property. IL does not have a personal propery tax. IL taxes go a long way to support senior and children's service.

I think OK does a better job of educating kids than MO. The kids im our school district get a pretty good education. But, of you want kids to get a good education in any state, then homeschool.

If you decide to move to IL and you have guns there are special rules for packing them before you ever cross the state line. There are also rules about passing an emergency vehicle that is parked with its emergency lights flashing and rules in construction zones concerning cell phone. All have expensive fines and you could lose your guns. Ingorance of the law doesn't seem to fly well in the courts here. You can pick up a rules of the road in any state license bureau.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
I have a 30 acre property that would be perfect for what you are looking for. Home was built in 2000 and is perfect for a bed and breakfast/ horse farm. I moved from the area and I'm looking for someone to possibly start up a business out there, and or rent the place to own. The property is 15 minutes northwest of Marion Il. The place also has a 40x60 pole that would be great for the horses. If interested email me. [email]Wm.lenv@emypeople.net[/email]. Thank's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois