Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,025 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am looking for help in answering some specific questions that we have on relocating, particularly those who might have or live with someone who has severe Asthma.
We moved ten years ago from the Midwest where the pollution was killing me. Unfortunately, we believed too many people about how I would fare here in New Mexico.
My Doctors here have told me that with my kind of Asthma, high desert is the wrong place and I should never have moved here. All my Doctors in the Midwest, except for one, told me how wonderful the desert would be, I wish I had listened to the sole dissenting voice.
We have massive dust storms, which I am particularly allergic to, plus almost all summer and fall we have terrible smoke from forest fires, our own, plus Arizona and even California. This is a worse trigger than even the dust. I am almost confined to the house with the air conditioning on when the fires start.

Also our altitude is 6,000 feet and I find I do much better at lower altitudes, cooler weather, and more humidity. When it rains here, which is seldom, I breathe way better.
So my questions are,
How do any of you asthmatics fare there?

Did any of you move from other areas, and how did you do here?

How is the weather regarding dust, smoke from fires, temperature and rain or snow fall.

Any help gratefully received, I do not want to make another mistake and move to the wrong place, I am to old to do it several more times, once more is all I want to face.

Thanks in advance to all who can help .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,884,596 times
I live two hours south of Hayden, and don't have asthma. Take my advice as you will with that knowledge. Smoke from summer forest fires can get bad here. And dust from harvest can be bad in the fall. Some farmers also burn their fields in the fall, though this has greatly decreased in recent years. I would be very careful about relocating here if New Mexico was to much for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho