Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM

31 posts, read 115,630 times

Advertisements

culture in Idaho. I enjoy the music, the dancing the outdoors e,t,c, Me and the wife are hopeful to find that when we come to live in Idaho around May/June 2010. I am retired at 67 but my very young wife is not and still needs to work. We will be living in our Motor Home for awhile until we find the area we want to settle in then buy a home. We both love the rural areas BUT still need to be a decent drive from work. My political views are conservative then Republican. Is there such a place in Idaho? Boise area perhaps? I have lived in the Portland are for over 22 years and have had it. We are looking for that change. Work in Portland is horrible taxes are high and the politics very bad. Police are out everyday now giving tickets not just once a month like it use to be and the only place they seems to still be hiring is in government growth.

Thanks to ya all.

Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 PM

820 posts, read 1,746,043 times
The more north you go, the more you get what your looking for. Athol or Rathdrum would be good fits if your coming up this far north.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
The more north you go, the more you get what your looking for. Athol or Rathdrum would be good fits if your coming up this far north.

Thank you for the response but with the size of those two towns, I don't believe that the wife could find any work which was one of the things I had mentioned in my post.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post

Thank you for the response but with the size of those two towns, I don't believe that the wife could find any work which was one of the things I had mentioned in my post.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,889,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18dd2 View Post
Depends on your definition of "a decent drive from work." Lots of folks in those towns drive into the comparably larger towns of Coeur d'Alene and Spokane. By Idaho standards Athol and Rathdrum are only somewhat rural. There are lots of towns MUCH more remote.

Define what rural means to you and you'll get better responses.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

820 posts, read 1,746,043 times
exactly as above. There is no work in those towns but they are 20 minutes from town.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM

7,401 posts, read 12,731,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18dd2 View Post
culture in Idaho. I enjoy the music, the dancing the outdoors e,t,c, Me and the wife are hopeful to find that when we come to live in Idaho around May/June 2010. I am retired at 67 but my very young wife is not and still needs to work. We will be living in our Motor Home for awhile until we find the area we want to settle in then buy a home. We both love the rural areas BUT still need to be a decent drive from work. My political views are conservative then Republican. Is there such a place in Idaho? Boise area perhaps? I have lived in the Portland are for over 22 years and have had it. We are looking for that change. Work in Portland is horrible taxes are high and the politics very bad. Police are out everyday now giving tickets not just once a month like it use to be and the only place they seems to still be hiring is in government growth.

Thanks to ya all.

Larry
For a Country Western experience, try these places! I haven't been there myself, but I found the description in the North Idaho Dining Guide, and you can find the addresses there:
North Idaho Dining Guide (http://diningni.com/Entertainment.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
The country crowd flocks to Mecca at Big Al’s at Stateline. One of the few places where dancing on the tables is not only allowed but encouraged, it’s a great place for groups of revelers to two-step and chicken dance.
The Slab Inn on Seltice Way in Post Falls also caters to country music fans, with live music every weekend and free dance lessons before the bands take the stage.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,893 times
Check out Idaho City. You'll love it. There is a mobile home park right off the highway as you go into town where you can park you RV while you fall in love with it. It's got everything you are looking for. It's a great place to live. Small friendly community - houses in town aren't much if you can find one and the taxes are incredibly low. It was a mining town in the 1800's, turned ghost town, turned tourist town. When you walk down Main Street it has wooden sidewalks and antique buildings. Very quaint with a few very antique shops and restaurants. The forest service trails are 1/2 block off it too. You can ride your snowmobile or four wheeler into town all year 'round - and walk right into any of the city or county offices there to talk to whoever is in charge because it's so low key. Really a super place. I wish I could move there.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,898,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseemystery View Post
Check out Idaho City. You'll love it. There is a mobile home park right off the highway as you go into town where you can park you RV while you fall in love with it. It's got everything you are looking for. It's a great place to live. Small friendly community - houses in town aren't much if you can find one and the taxes are incredibly low. It was a mining town in the 1800's, turned ghost town, turned tourist town. When you walk down Main Street it has wooden sidewalks and antique buildings. Very quaint with a few very antique shops and restaurants. The forest service trails are 1/2 block off it too. You can ride your snowmobile or four wheeler into town all year 'round - and walk right into any of the city or county offices there to talk to whoever is in charge because it's so low key. Really a super place. I wish I could move there.
...and only 40 minutes or so to Boise..weather permitting of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho