Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,196 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am new to the NID area. We have just purchased a small parcel of land (5 Acres) The property is surrounded by forest service land.
The parcel has a special easement that allows us to drive upon it for about one mile on forest land to reach our property.
My question is I want to widen the easement road from 5 feet currently to perhaps 10 feet wide. This would allow us to navigate the road better and help with getting larger trucks into our land when they arrive to deliver supplies and also without having overhanging tree limbs scratching our vehicles. I have looked at our easement papers and it reads that a special 15 feet wide road ingress/egress permit has been given.
Has anyone here been in the same situation? Can I widen the road myself as I have the given permit or do I need to contact the forest service ranger? I would prefer not to have them do the roadwork as I am sure it would be very expensive. Do I need to let them know I am doing the work myself?

If anyone can help me with any information, maybe a phone number or a website address where I can get my questions answered, I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Congrats on your purchase! Which general area is it? We have 5 acres in NID ourselves; we have a power access easement through the neighbor's property, and the neighbor has a road access easement through ours. Of course those are easements through private properties, not forest service land, but I wouldn't make a move without contacting the neighbors, and I'd expect the same from them. We'll actually be digging the power trench in a few months. Not really relevant for your situation, I know, but it took us all of our 30 days of escrow to work out the details of the easements, with a real estate lawyer, and numerous calls to the Bonner County Office. They were very helpful.

I don't know if this website might be of help: Idaho Department of Lands: Forest Management Bureau: State of Idaho/Forest Service Road Right-of-Way Construction and Use Agreement.

Unless anyone on this forum has been in your situation and can give more pertinent advice, I'd talk to the county office (Bonner, Boundary or further south?) if I were you, before you start widening the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho