Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times

Advertisements

I just started reading what promises to be a fascinating book by Tim Egan (NY Times writer with NW roots), The Big Burn: Terry Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America. Amazon.com: The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America (9780618968411): Timothy Egan: Books (The website has period pics and an interview with Egan. He has his own political POV that you may or may not agree with, but the story is fascinating, regardless.)

It tells the story of the devastating wildfire--the largest to date, says Egan, 3 mill. acres in 2 days--that swept through NW Montana and NID in August 1910, and (maybe? almost? ) destroyed Wallace. I haven't gotten to the end of the story yet! Of course I'm a NW history buff, so this book has me at the edge of my seat, especially since the fire affected our little piece of Paradise. I'll keep you posted as the story unfolds (= as I have time to read the book! ).

What I'd be curious to find out is if any of you remember any family stories from the Big Burn, or have any tangible mementos? And have you heard of any commemorative events planned for August? I believe we actually may have a tree on our property that is a still-standing "burn victim" of when the fire swept through--a big old partially blackened cedar. Of course it could be from a local fire, or a lightning strike--I'll have to find out more when we're in CF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 AM

53 posts, read 133,794 times
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I have added this book to my "wish list" at Amazon. I like to read about places I plan to visit ahead of time. This is especially true with NID as I am not just visiting, but looking with relocation in mind if the feeling is right.

If such a large area burned then it stands to reason that most of the trees in the entire area are less than a century old. Is there any old growth forest remaining anywhere nearby?

Lastly, do you have any other book recommendations about the NW to offer up? I enjoy history, especially nature related stories, or anything related to outdoor pursuits.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo3165 View Post
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I have added this book to my "wish list" at Amazon. I like to read about places I plan to visit ahead of time. This is especially true with NID as I am not just visiting, but looking with relocation in mind if the feeling is right.

If such a large area burned then it stands to reason that most of the trees in the entire area are less than a century old. Is there any old growth forest remaining anywhere nearby?

Lastly, do you have any other book recommendations about the NW to offer up? I enjoy history, especially nature related stories, or anything related to outdoor pursuits.
I think St. Maries all but burned down in that fire too if I'm not mistaken CFF..

There is a book by James Wesley Rawles called "Patriots".. Its been called a survival manual disguised as a novel.. Its about a group of people who setup a retreat in North Idaho. After a total financial meltdown and unraveling of society they all go to this retreat to ride it out.. I read this book many years ago and its gone through alot of changes over the years but its a very timely read now.. I found it at Hastings, and you can get it at any book store now.. This book is what got me looking at my current locale over 10 years ago as a place to live..

A little disclaimer.. My custom knives appear in the book at one point. I got to know the author and we traded some stuff, and he decided to use them in it... It might make me a little biased but I still think its a great read..

Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo3165 View Post

Gonzo,
I'm mostly familiar with the area between the Clark Fork and the Kootenai rivers, and I can tell you that there is a fantastic stand of old growth giant cedars left in Montana on Highway 56, in the Cabinet Mts, Ross Creek Cedars, about 1 hour's drive from Sandpoint. Just as jaw-dropping as the giant redwoods in CA. Maybe even more! But I'm sure there are other pockets of old growth forest in the Cabinets, the Selkirks, and the Bitterroots--maybe our ATV guys would know about that?

I'll see what other book titles I can come up with. Anything about Lewis and Clark, for starters!

Trace,
I'm sure I'm in for some heartbreaking stories once I get further into the book...such as St. Joe...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:22 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,382 times
If you like BIG cedar trees, check out the Perkins Cedar Grove about 10 miles from the little town of Elk River (north of Dworshak Reservoir, which is north of Orofino). The “King of the Grove” is Idaho’s largest tree, a Western Red Cedar; 177 feet tall and 18 feet in diameter at chest level. It is believed to be 3,000 years old….about my age!

I believe the Grove is only accessible during summer months. Get directions to the Grove at the Elk River Lodge & General Store in Elk River.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM

53 posts, read 133,794 times
Thanks to all of you for the information! I didn't mean to hijack this thread, as I would love to hear more stories from people about the fire too. Family lore is often the best source for real information.

I'll add a few more notes to my trip planner before I forget everything you have shared with the above comments. Thanks again to all of you!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM

148 posts, read 501,233 times
We moved here this summer and have found some giant stumps that are burnt, from the 1910 fire. Most were salvaged cut, you can see the springboard cuts about 8' above ground. Have burnt stumps on our property and a local "history buff" say there from the 1910 fire.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Interesting that we have two simultaneous threads about giant cedars! Thanks for the info, Bob. Check out amazing pics from Elk River over on the "Logging" thread!
Dave, it had somehow escaped me that you had made the move to Naples! Congrats! Would love to see pics of the giant cedar stumps! That's so interesting! That makes me think that our large burned tree may indeed be a survivor.

Reading about the rowdy little mining towns in the Coeur d'Alenes the year of the fire--Deadwood had nothing on them, except for Wild Bill!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:25 PM

I just noticed that I renamed Roosevelt and called him Terry. Sorry, Teddy! Just a typo!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
I'm trying to organize a "Big Burn" ATV ride out of Wallace this summer. Wallace/Avery area was pretty key to the story of the Big Burn. The Pulaski Tunnel ttp://www.idahoforests.org/pulanski.htm (http://www.idahoforests.org/pulanski.htm - broken link) is just out of Wallace, and I've never stopped to hike in. Lake Elsie/Big Creek were supposed to be were a group of firefighters were killed, and I understand "Cemetery Ridge" was named for firefighters killed back then. I'm going to look for someone to lead it that has knowledge of the history, we'll see how it goes.

BTW, I need to pick up that book, sounds like a good one to add to my library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho