Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM

66 posts, read 150,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Got into a conversation with some good local folks in Sandpoint last summer, total strangers, about general conditions in Idaho, and general ID values, vs. outside influence. We were all in agreement about the importance of maintaining and treasuring traditional ID values--and then it turned out that everyone was a CA refugee! Funny or sad? Depends on one's perspective--but I got a kick out of it!
Maybe a little funny.... but perfectly understandable. If folks move into an area because of the local values, it's only natural they'll want to defend the same values. Kinda like how some of the proudest Americans you'll ever meet were born in other countries, and came here for the freedom. Frankly, I have a lot more respect for many of them, who cherish their citizenship, then a lot of natural born citizens who don't have the same love for their country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there, but I honestly believe idaho is a "white-flight" destination for californians. We've already heard from one poster who wasn't afraid to say it. Like how in the 1940's and 50's mostly white families fled the cities for the suburbs, california became one big suburb of a suburb of endlessness, and with the recent international influences impacting the way of life, a particular demographic of americans are seeking out idaho to be the place where they can have the picket white fence, american flag on the front porch in a rural "american" setting. It's a fantasy and luckily for now many are able to make that fantasy a reality until of course the influx of people turn idaho into an overrun suburb of suburbs as well. I too believe that planning for growth is severely lacking in boise. But i do know an elderly couple that retired here from the bay area to live in cascade, Upon realizing their ideal wasn't so ideal with the snow, weather and seclusion, they moved to Eagle and live in a californiaesque subdivision that is within proximity to the foothills and horse pastures...they didn't go back to california...
God-well,'California' is full of people who just mvoed here,or first generation,second at most! My husband's parents came from chicago. he was born and raised in CA. But most people are fairly recent.

So,it is really ridiculous how people say 'CA this' and 'Ca that',as though being from CA is such a common thing,or that people are leaving CA after 6 generations b/c they've ruined it/the state.

People do want to afford a home,and people do want to have some space around them sometimes. The people I do feel bad for are like my husband,and others who grew up in LA,SFO or SD,who could never afford a home and have watched their cities become unliveable.

And,through it all,your RARELY hear people comment in person or on these forums,'gee,i wish people would stop coming to CA;our problems are everyone else's fault;it's everyone else's fault that CA is a mess b/c it's grown.'

You really just don't hear that very often,compared to other states blaming CA.
Instead,you hear people who are natives saying that they understand why people like CA.

I'm not a CA native,but have called it home for ten years. And I am really sick of people blaming CA and 'Californians' [an elusive term at best,anyway] for everything!

And I lived in the rocky mountains-two states-and I cannot tell you how many peope I met from other parts of said states;their only refuge was the one liberal city in their state that they could escape to when they turned 18. And yet still,these states/people like to blame either Californians or 'hippies' for 'ruining the state'.

People need to accept that there ARE different kinds of likes and dislikes,period. Even if you grow up on the plains of eastern montana,you may flee for missoula the second you can. B/C the plains jsut didnt suit you. And you are grateful 'the hippies' came in when they did. lol.

I agree;this is the US;noone needs to make excuses,as an American citizen,for which state they wish to live in and what kind of life they want to have. The insular attitude of many states,still today,shows a lack of being in touch w/reality.

And,do NOT assume that everyone leaving CA has alot of money! Some of us rent,drive 15 yr old cars,barely get by,and are even CA natives doing so!
Of course,some of us in that category still don't want to leave CA,even if it means we could 'be homeowners'. The cultural divide is too great-and we will just have to deal with the a*sholes who move to CA,lease BMW's and drive entirely too fast,focused only on making money and supericiality...yes,the rest of us will have to suffer that,b/c we deserve to enjoy the beautiful things California has to offer,as well. We'll just have to work that much harder to carve out our niche.

btw,I DO love it when people say 'don't you CA come to my state of VA. or wherever,but I heard VA recently. LOL.
I mean,really. LOL.

And yes,i have famil in VA and have been there sevearl times.
But I am in no hurry to trade in CA for VA,believe me!!!!

I would go abroad before I'd live in some of the states in the US,and I am not even a CA native.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,684,840 times
Tough.

You don't get to tell us how to feel about our home state and how we feel about who moves where.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Tough.

You don't get to tell us how to feel about our home state and how we feel about who moves where.
No one told you how you have to feel.... just how they feel....

You don't get to decide who moves to your state either....

Old 02-13-2010, 01:53 PM

124 posts, read 277,047 times
Default Grim Job scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Idaho is a great place if you can take your job with you, met a bunch of guys who have done that and just telecommute from Idaho. But if you are looking for a job, it is really tough out there. Not too many professional or high paying sales jobs left in Idaho right now.
I will say a big here here to that. I've got a master's degree and 10 years professional experience but after applying for over 100 jobs over the past 6 months I'm still looking... I keep telling myself I don't need a job market, I just need ONE decent job, but the last one I interviewed for had 155 applicants so it's mighty chancy to make it to the top.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malagagirl View Post
I will say a big here here to that. I've got a master's degree and 10 years professional experience but after applying for over 100 jobs over the past 6 months I'm still looking... I keep telling myself I don't need a job market, I just need ONE decent job, but the last one I interviewed for had 155 applicants so it's mighty chancy to make it to the top.
It's why a lot of folks like me couldn't move where we wanted to live during our working years.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM

161 posts, read 396,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im5150too View Post
The transplants we got from other states........ and other countries.......

I feel your pain, but those of us who've been in CA for 50+ years, have had more than our fair share of folks that have moved here and changed it.....

Be thankful that of the Californians that are moving to Idaho, many share the Idaho mindset, and intend to be productive good neighbors. Compare that to the hordes of welfare seeking invaders CA has endured for the last 40 years.......
Exactly.

When I tell some of my more liberal-leaning associates that I'm moving my family to Idaho, they all ask "WHY?!" I explain the beauty and the freedom and they look at me like an alien. They just don't understand. Like I don't understand when they argue for keeping the borders open, or how making guns illegal will make them safer...sigh.

I'd be willing to wager that most moving to ID from CA are conservative leaning.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM

420 posts, read 1,195,216 times
All in all it appears folks who leave do it because of weather, economics, or lifestyle differences. Hopefully CA can straighten itself out financially and begin employing people again (private sector).

If so, the trend will move westward and other states will follow suit. I cannot believe that CA as a state will fail. It is too big and there are still bright folks out there with enough business sense to stop it's downward spiral.

Idaho on the other hand has incredible potential to be a leader in it's own right. By learning from history we are not bound to repeat it.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
God-well,'California' is full of people who just mvoed here,or first generation,second at most! My husband's parents came from chicago. he was born and raised in CA. But most people are fairly recent.

So,it is really ridiculous how people say 'CA this' and 'Ca that',as though being from CA is such a common thing,or that people are leaving CA after 6 generations b/c they've ruined it/the state.

People do want to afford a home,and people do want to have some space around them sometimes. The people I do feel bad for are like my husband,and others who grew up in LA,SFO or SD,who could never afford a home and have watched their cities become unliveable.

And,through it all,your RARELY hear people comment in person or on these forums,'gee,i wish people would stop coming to CA;our problems are everyone else's fault;it's everyone else's fault that CA is a mess b/c it's grown.'

You really just don't hear that very often,compared to other states blaming CA.
Instead,you hear people who are natives saying that they understand why people like CA.

I'm not a CA native,but have called it home for ten years. And I am really sick of people blaming CA and 'Californians' [an elusive term at best,anyway] for everything!

And I lived in the rocky mountains-two states-and I cannot tell you how many peope I met from other parts of said states;their only refuge was the one liberal city in their state that they could escape to when they turned 18. And yet still,these states/people like to blame either Californians or 'hippies' for 'ruining the state'.

People need to accept that there ARE different kinds of likes and dislikes,period. Even if you grow up on the plains of eastern montana,you may flee for missoula the second you can. B/C the plains jsut didnt suit you. And you are grateful 'the hippies' came in when they did. lol.

I agree;this is the US;noone needs to make excuses,as an American citizen,for which state they wish to live in and what kind of life they want to have. The insular attitude of many states,still today,shows a lack of being in touch w/reality.

And,do NOT assume that everyone leaving CA has alot of money! Some of us rent,drive 15 yr old cars,barely get by,and are even CA natives doing so!
Of course,some of us in that category still don't want to leave CA,even if it means we could 'be homeowners'. The cultural divide is too great-and we will just have to deal with the a*sholes who move to CA,lease BMW's and drive entirely too fast,focused only on making money and supericiality...yes,the rest of us will have to suffer that,b/c we deserve to enjoy the beautiful things California has to offer,as well. We'll just have to work that much harder to carve out our niche.

btw,I DO love it when people say 'don't you CA come to my state of VA. or wherever,but I heard VA recently. LOL.
I mean,really. LOL.

And yes,i have famil in VA and have been there sevearl times.
But I am in no hurry to trade in CA for VA,believe me!!!!

I would go abroad before I'd live in some of the states in the US,and I am not even a CA native.
you're missing the point, it's not about people being from california that pisses people off, in fact it has nothing to do with california for locals in places like idaho. It has to do with the amount of uncontrolled growth and strain it causes. And you're right 50 years ago the same thing happened to california, but that doesn't negate the fact that it's happening to other places now. People move to idaho because they want space and affordable housing etc.. but we already know from history that eventually everyone figures it out and then beautiful places like california and idaho become overrun sprawled unsustainable rat holes where once it's been sucked dry it's left behind for the next great place. Locals just don't want to see that happen to their beloved state. That's all. So whether you're from california, or washington or utah or virginia, by moving here and buying into the endless suburbs of plastic fantastic neighborhoods you're causing the change that locals don't particularly like.
The underlying problem is capitalism, but I won't get all commie on everyone for their sakes, but it is what it is...
there is something noble about sticking to your home and defending it for what you value about it..even in the face of economics... it's another to live by the seat of your pants and constantly be seeking out the newest and greatest place to take advantage of.
Of course I say all this with a bit of tongue in cheek because I do believe growth is a good thing for idaho.. even long time locals because in this system of capitalism, growth is what brings jobs.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM

791 posts, read 2,960,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I was a resident of California from 1965 until early 2006. We were ready to leave and wanted to live elsewhere. We ended up heading to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho and lasted from March 06 until May 07. It just wasn't for us. We bought a home there and were fortunate to have hit a time in Idaho where we sold it for a great deal more than we paid for it just a year later. I work from home and kept the same income but my husband's job that he got there was not so great. Employers he got job offers from were either not giving health benefits or just for the employee. I think the weather was the one thing that did us in. The long gray days of Idaho were indeed too long for this CA native.

I am grateful for the experience and VERY glad that we were financially able to move again. I think life is way to short to live where you aren't happy --- for me it was worth the sacrafice to discover that Idaho wasn't for us and to put to rest the ideals I had of what it is like to live there.

I will say the people of Idaho were VERY friendly and welcoming.
I too moved to CDA and lasted from June '06 to July '07. The area was beautiful but the overcast days were too much for me, I had never experienced so many day without sun and mentally it just wore on me.

I do miss the small town feel, the great little downtown, and the freeways without traffic but I now realize the sunshine is pretty high on my list.

Although I am now looking into Idaho County, just not sure if it's any sunnier .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho