Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

This is a question mostly for my female ID forum friends, but I'd like to hear from anybody who has an opinion: Sooner or later we'll do the NID Winter Experience, which doesn't scare me all that much, because I grew up in a place that was cold and dark half the year. But when that happens, I'd like to be able to bring and wear--fur! I have a couple of pre-owned fur coats that I really enjoy wearing in freezing temps, because there's nothing warmer. But of course in CA fur has been so-to-speak officially unacceptable for decades, and I have zero use for them in SoCal, anyway.So how is it these days in ID? Can I show up in an old fur coat without getting dirty looks or worse? Are there regional differences, along political lines? Or is it a total non-issue? I'd never wear fur from an endangered species, and I have no urge to buy anything new. I'm happy with the old coats I've inherited. So--fur or no fur in ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Gosh, I'm not sure when I last saw someone wear a fur coat. Then again where I work is not exactly where one would be wearing one anyway. I work in a pet boarding facility so that's not quite the dress code I do know of a dog trainer who has been nicknamed "Birdhead" before as he does hunt and he's made hats out of pheasant feathers.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
I think the biggest issue here is why could afford a good fur coat and how practical are they compared to various other materials and coat styles. This area is so focused on hunting/fishing (including trophy hunting) that I can't imagine anyone would frown on a fur coat. I know none of my friends would have an issue with it, and I don't think we're the "conservative fringe" by any means...I think (perhaps I'm wrong) that we're pretty average for these parts...

Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
While Im not a girl, I would think you would be fine wearing fur up here... I dont see many PETA types with fake blood roaming around waiting to dowse an unsuspecting fur fan...Ha!!

Im more of a function guy and as Sage mentioned its not real practical, BUT hell its a FREE country up here... Wear it if you got it girlfriend

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I'm of the female persuasion and while I don't wear fur (for no particular reason) I don't know that it would be frowned upon here.
When we first moved up here I do remember seeing a man in WalMart wearing what looked to be a dead badger on his head, but he was wearing some sort of buckskins too and I don't think that's probably the look you're going for.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
I used to see a few fur coats around the Sun Valley ski resort area back in the days when I could still ski. Jackson Wyoming has lots of fur coat wearers too.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM
CSG

201 posts, read 383,128 times
Just stay out of the North End of Boise and you should be fine.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 PM

291 posts, read 669,752 times
If you've got it girl, FLAUNT IT!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Thanks for your input, everybody! That's pretty much what I thought--not much fur seen in ID because it isn't practical, not because of PC issues. (Except for Boise, maybe!) Whew.That's cool--I'll bring my furs to NID and if the struggle through the snow is too much, I'll revert to down jackets! But I've just spent two weeks in 0-10 degree weather, in my old furs, and I've been just fiiiiine, so I thought that was kind of encouraging! BTW, the coonskin cap look has its moments... not much into feathers, though! That's a topic for the Porch!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
Hey CFF, if your going out for a nice dinner on a cold night, that fur will be TOTALLY functional!!
Nothing wrong with being warm and looking GOOD! If I was a women I would wear fur coats..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho