Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM

40 posts, read 135,216 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A while back I posted a thread inquiring about Utah State University and Logan, Utah. I no longer plan on attending Utah State due to personal issues, but I was recently accepted to both The University of Idaho, and Boise State University.
First of all, I have lived in Texas my whole life as well as both sides of my family. I am looking to branch out and start somewhere new and fresh, and after visiting Idaho and doing some research, I think it could be a good place. First of all, let me provide you with some background info. I come from a religious family, but I am not religious. I am moderate-liberal, I enjoy hiking, hunting, bird-watching and any outdoor activities to be honest. Also, does Moscow or Boise have a better job market for students? I understand Boise is a larger city and therefore has more opportunities, but I've heard bad things about the job market. I have also heard mixed opinions about both schools. So which in your opinion is a better school?
Which city/university would you think fits my profile and needs the best? Any advice would be helpful, and appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Shinedown, what will you be majoring in? Could really help with the school selection.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM

40 posts, read 135,216 times
I'm majoring in Mass communications and hoping to go into law school soon after. I know U of I has the only law program in Idaho, but both schools have quality mass com schools from my understanding.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,637 times
University of Idaho might be better in that you plan to go right into law school, but moscow/pullman is a hard area for students to find work while going to school. Boise's job market is rocky, but that is more in line with professionals. Part-time to full time low wage jobs are still plentiful here. A degree from Boise State would be transferable easily into law school at the university of Idaho. But also consider, I have friends that have graduated from bsu and went on to law school, and they actually went to University of Oregon instead of UI. They said that there's some sort of program that allows for out of state residents from Idaho to go to UO with in state rates. Some Northwest program between the three northwest states. I'd look into that as well.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,751 times
My only concern about Boise State is it's essentially a commuter school. Downtown Boise will be your social life rather than on campus social life. I think you'd like Boise the best and a BSU degree will get you into Oregon law or a law school in Washington if you hit a decent LSAT score.

Moscow is essentially in nowheresville. You're 2 hrs from Spokane and 4 hrs from Missoula. Just by the isolation aspect, I assume that the U of I campus has a pretty good social life for students. A U of I law degree only has value in Idaho. You'd have better options if you went to Oregon or Washington law school.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,571 times
I am a graduating senior that is a business-marketing major. I had the opportunity to go to BSU but am really glad I chose U of I. If you want more of the college town atmosphere with really friendly people I would chose U of I. The campus sponsors lot of free comedians, concerts, and events that keep you really involved with U of I. Plus I've heard from a lot of people that have gone to both that they preferred U of I and BSU had a lot easier classes but you don't learn as much.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,778 times
I'd visit.

"Generally" the University of Idaho is the stronger school, but it really depends on the program. I do believe - and the stats show this - that you'll get through Idaho faster than BSU (a combination of better planning, counseling, and a desire to GTFO quickly). A lot of students find internships in CdA, Spokane, Portland, Seattle, and Boise.

But there is virtually no job market for students in Moscow.

Arguably, the weather is worse, too. Boise is certainly more vibrant, more active, and school pride is at an all time high. Academics are getting better, the football scene is an absolute blast, and Boise is an amazing place. You'll find a job here.

Idaho has a strong frat scene; Boise does not.

Moscow is fairly isolated and liberal; Boise is the center of the universe (Idaho joke) and runs the political spectrum.

As for law school, I wouldn't worry about that now. That's an entire thing unto itself. Trust me, I know. Either school gets you in. Remember this: law school acceptance are all about 3 things: primarily your GPA and LSAT score, period. The other is "soft factors," which is a combination of your major, your UG school, your work history, volunteer history, personal essay, legacy, minority status, etc. You'll want your GPA in the 3.5 range at least (and "harder" majors will help in this calculus); from there your LSAT determines your acceptances.

The iron clad rule of thumb for law school is this: go to the best school you can get into. "Best" here means a lot of things. My advice is if you get into a top 20 ranked school, with reason, go to that school unless you're paying full bill. I'd only pay full bill for top 8 or so. Other than that, go to the best school where you want to work.

In the NW, the pecking order is as such: Top 15, including Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA. Then UW. Then LC/Oregon. The rest are state isolated, for the most part.

If you want to work in Idaho, go to Idaho. If you want Texas, look at any of the Texas schools (they're all decent).

Oh, and I'd visit Boise and Idaho first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: