Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2006, 02:13 AM

3 posts, read 20,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, from England travelling to Stanley this summer for a few days. Want to travel up to Kooksia , maps show me having to travel south to Boise and back up, or N on the 93 and back down the lolo pass.

I was in Mcall a couple of years ago and was told ther was a country road down from Mcall to Stanley , but we never tried it due to fires....

Does anyone know of a road from Stanley North on back roads to McCall and North or if there are are they rough dirt roads.

It justs eems that both routes I have been given are 300 odd miles yet its only 150 as the crow flies (Ir realise ther are some big mountains in the way!)

My map shows some roads but doesnt indicate if they are used or not, likewise do not want to take backroads if its 10 hours of winding round mountains.

So if there is a route;

1. is it well signed

2. Is it driveable in a rental fullsize

3. will it save any time....

Thanks for your help....

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 07:21 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Wish I could help you, but that's not my neck of the woods. However, they warned us that this will be a high fire danger year!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
I have also heard there are back roads over the mountain from Stanley to McCall. I would NOT try to take them in a rented car. I have never been on them myself. WE never could find the way when we tried it once and ended coming back out the way we went in. If you could find the roads they would not be faster for you for sure. Winding ,dirt ,logging ,forest service roads at best.

Your directions are not exactly clear to me. Here is how we go from Stanley to McCall. I think most of it is paved now. It has been about 4 years since I have been over the road.

Starting at Stanley on HWY 75 take HWY 21 to Lowman and down through Garden Valley. I think I am reading about 58 miles between Stanley and Lowman. Stay on Hwy 21 until it comes to HWY 55 Another 33 miles. There are/were?? places to eat in Garden Valley.

Turn right on HWY 55 about 50 miles or so?? I can not read the numbers too small for my eyes.

Then if you want to go to Kooski stay on HWY 55 until it comes to HWY 95 at NewMeadows. Not too far guessing 10 to 15 miles maybe. Turn right again on HWY 95 and stay on 95 until you hit Grangeville.

Turn right again on HWY 13 towards Harpster and keep going past Harpster until you come to Kooski.

All of these roads are regular roads all paved. The only one I am uncertain of is a stretch from Lowman to Garden Valley I THINK it is paved now if it is not paved it certainly is a good road anyway and a beautiful trip down the canyon.

There is no reason to go into Boise. You could go also from Stanley HWY 75 to HWY 93 through Challis, Salmon and almost into Missoula Montana. Then HWY 12 to the left up over and down Lolo pass then down through the Selway for miles and miles a couple of hours of no where to stop. Very pretty. We have been both ways. I think the first way I gave you might be the fastest. Anyone else is certainly welcome to correct me if they have a shorter way.

The problem with Idaho is there are two main highways 93 and 95 running north and south. There are not many cross roads between them and then as you said the mountains get in the way. We moved from Challis to Cambridge guessing 100 miles as the crow flies and we had to drive 250 miles around to get from place to place. We have been over all of these roads many times over the last 20 years. Pack yourself a good lunch and lots to drink and enjoy your trip and the scenery. This part of Idaho is too pretty to have to hurry through just to get from point A to point B.

Have fun Chris

Old 06-15-2006, 01:51 PM

Chris thanks, guessed as much, in fact you have shown that the route via Lowman and city garden is possible, on my map it just shows dotted lines, so now I know its achiveable, I di not want to rush but did not want to have to go so far south or via the northern route (via lolo).

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by kaibab58; 06-15-2006 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Don't blame you for wanting to shave off some time and gas the way it is milage to. I will ask my husband about time since I run the map he drives the car. I do not pay too much attention to time and then if I can remember even if I did pay attention. He seems to remember these things. We were just up through Kooski a couple of weeks ago. From here it took about 3 hours and we are 50+ miles from NewMeadows the other direction from McCall. My husband does not drive faster than the speed limit. We also stopped to eat breakfast included in the travel time.

Back out to the garden the day is a wasting. If he has any more information I will post back again.

Chris

Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Paul, Checking with my husband just confirmed your trip planner is pretty close in driving times. He also said either direction could be close to the same distance. My opinion on this is the Lowman Garden valley way puts you through more towns. The Lolo route sends you over miles and miles of just road. Pretty country and not many towns. It is not that I NEED to see towns and most are very small but there is always the potty stops and drink stops to make more potty stops. A seven hour trip is a long one.

And I am not even going to ask WHY you want to go to Kooski. There HAS to be a good reason. When we drove to Canada to visit friends they asked at the border WHY we wanted to go to Beechy and Beechy ,Canada is 5 times the size of Kooski. England destination Kooski. LOL Stanley I can understand it is just breathtaking. Sorry Kooski is really pretty too we even thought of moving there a couple of times but did not find what we were looking for at the time.

Have a safe trip.

Chris

Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 AM

well actaully we were going to lowell, the route planners I used only took Kooksia..

In reality its probably too far North with the schedule I have... but thanks for the help
P

Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,179 times
The Bank Garden valley road is awesome. A few small towns but nothing if you need major services tells Stanly. The White Cloud Mountains are to die for. The Alps of Idaho. Just be care full driving at dusk to dawn and a bit in the day as there are a lot of elk and deer in the area. Hitting an elk would be like hitting a cow. Many blind corners also just keep one eye on the road the other for them deer and elk. Also it is a long drive as I have done it many times. Also used to elk hunt in the area around Lowman. Roads are good and no problem with any car but I would not take a 40 foot plus motor home or travel trailer that way just make sure you have a camera ready at all times with lots of film or memory cards as you will need them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho