Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2006, 06:04 PM

27 posts, read 183,254 times

Advertisements

I hope someone out there can help us with our decision on where to move. We have been considering several cities in Idaho, including; Boise, Idaho Falls, Meridian, Eagle and Pocatello. After reading some posts, it seems like there is something bad about each area. Are there really that many halfway houses in Idaho for sex offenders? Also, I received an email from the Boise Chamber of Commerce about real estate in Boise. They said that a year ago the average home price was $166,000, but as of 3 weeks ago it is now $220,000 and climbing. We are trying to get out of Vegas because of the high cost of living, congestion, cost of real estate and never-ending construction. With Boise home prices getting higher and higher, how do the blue collar jobs pay? Is it true that if you are not Mormon (and have nothing against them), it is hard to fit in with the community in Idaho Falls? We are having a real difficult time with our decision and cannot make a trip to visit Idaho until September. In the meantime, it would be nice to know which areas are really worth checking out when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 01:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,277,343 times
Both the Boise and Pocatello areas tend be slightly more liberal than Idaho Falls. Possibly because they are both college towns/cities. My cousin lives in Boise and I live just outside of IF, he was in shock 3.5 years ago when he came to visit and found out that I only paid $77,000 for our three bedroom ranch style home. He said then in Boise it would have gone for well over $100,000.

We are not Mormons, yet we've strived here for the past 15 years. Husband does work for a Mormon family company and I work for a small business owner who is non-Mormon. I image that husband does fine as he shows his worth and is an honest person. We do have friends that are both Mormon and non-Mormon.

One friend who is non has shared stories with me of some things that were said to her children in school, but hey either why you slice kids can be mean to one another.

As far as what do blue collar jobs pay, depends on what it is. Between the two of us we make a little over $50,000 a year, kids are grown and don't live with us.

There are other jobs out there that pay more, but for our life style, it's great for us. We're both doing what we enjoy

Average home price around here is $150,000

IF has more snow and icy roads in winter than the Boise or Pocatello areas, unless of course you count the freezing rain in Boise. I'll take the snow thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 51,126 times
Melnper: When we started researching where to move, we used a web site called ****.com. Then we did searches of the towns that we found appealing. We looked at several, but when we foudn the one that worked for us, we instantly knew it was the place! There are very good sites about most of Idaho's larger cities and areas. There is always going to be good and bad in all places, but if you find what you like, you can be smart enough to avoid that which you don't. Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 PM

27 posts, read 183,254 times
cleosmom and scoopmorgan- Thank you for your help! I have tried ****.com and for some reason, it keeps giving me locations in Alaska, New York and Maine, none of which we want to live. I think we have definitely decided on Idaho, but now we can make more of an informed decision. Thanks again!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 PM

313 posts, read 834,322 times
Thanks for that web site, ****.com, I tried it out and Idaho Falls was on the list and that is the area we have decided on. Had lots of cool info though too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho