Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2023, 08:41 AM

29 posts, read 11,252 times

Advertisements

Apparently I cannot renew my driver's license online because I'm over 66 years old (Gah!) Does anyone know what is involved when going in to DMV to renew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 10:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
I believe it is the vision test that is required, then you should be able to go 4 years.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I believe it is the vision test that is required, then you should be able to go 4 years.
Hmm. That's what I was afraid of. I had this weird thing happen to my right eye some months ago -- a retinal artery occlusion, which basically gave me about a 25% blind spot to the side of my vision in that eye. My overall vision and depth perception are fine, but if they test that one eye separately, I might have a problem. Dang.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:49 PM

23,251 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar View Post
Hmm. That's what I was afraid of. I had this weird thing happen to my right eye some months ago -- a retinal artery occlusion, which basically gave me about a 25% blind spot to the side of my vision in that eye. My overall vision and depth perception are fine, but if they test that one eye separately, I might have a problem. Dang.
Not necessarily. People who have lost an eye or lost the vision in one can get driver's licenses. My father became legally blind in one eye but drove for years afterward (CA). A coworker of mine lost an eye in an accident and was always licensed to drive. Get an eye exam from a licensed professional who can evaluate your functional vision (acuity, depth of field, peripheral vision). You may need to provide the DMV with a certification that you are safe to drive with/without restrictions (such as only driving during daylight). The Idaho driver's manual explains required testing.

https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/upl...ver_manual.pdf

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-11-2023 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-11-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
People who have lost an eye or lost the vision in one can get driver's licenses.
Oh man, that is a major relief! I cannot imagine not being able to drive (well, legally anyway ). Thank you!

Old 12-11-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The Idaho driver's manual explains required testing.
Looks like the standard is "Your vision will be tested and you must meet a minimum standard of 20/40 vision in at least one eye, with or without corrective lenses." So I'm good, even without seeing the eye doc. Thanks again!

Old 12-12-2023, 11:06 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Its a really fast eye test. Basically making sure you are not totally blind and they will make a note on your driver's license if you are required to wear glasses while driving. Look into the machine and read line 3 sort of thing. Nothing like going to the ophthalmologist.

Maybe they are also checking to make sure you are still alive, upright, and at least partially rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho