Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 01:39 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times

Advertisements

This link has 216 House/Townhouse rental properties within 10 miles of Boise that are dog friendly. Prices range from $1,195 to about $4K per month.

https://www.realtor.com/apartments/B...-10/affordable

If you are interested in apartment living there are about double the number of dog friendly properties too. Realtor.com would only allow a 10 mile spread in their search for rentals, so many more options as you look at towns further away from core Boise, such as Caldwell, Nampa, Kuna, Eagle, Emmett, Mountain Home, etc.

I don't think you've mentioned your budget. Less is usually better, but there is a point where less might be worse. Can you share your monthly target price?

Added: Here is the Google list of Property Management Companies in Boise. We used a real estate agent to find a rental. We were looking to buy, but wanted to wait at least 6 months before we picked a house. Most real estate businesses include some rental properties too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Prop...anies+in+Boise

Last edited by ejisme; 01-29-2024 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 03:27 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The premise of using crime rates as a major tool in deciding where to live is at best ridiculous. Crime Rates are compiled utilizing incidents of crime within a zip code versus the population living there. Zip codes by nature cover many miles, on average 90 square miles. Crime is not widespread against such a vast area and is dictated almost always by census tracts of several square blocks. The vast majority of violent crime victims are via acquaintances and not random acts. Futhermore by utilizing the methodology of crime rates you're eliminating what are probably great neighborhoods for you because they happen to be ten miles away from bad ones. Just saying think it through logically versus buying into some hysteria that's not indicative of reality.
What would be a more accurate measurement of localized crime to refer to in your opinion?

Old 01-31-2024, 01:38 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
The main reason most agents (Realtors) do not assist with the rental process is that the property managers here do not typically pay any compensation for securing a tenant. You have to apply at multiple companies (even some that won't tell you they don't any vacancies until after you pay your application fees). @AnythingOutdoors gave great advice about avoiding rental scams. Many of them want your personal data so that they can use it for identity theft (after you give them your birthday, social, address, etc.).

On crime reports, I don't have much faith in them anymore since some cities are way more aggressive in pursuing different crimes than others causing different reasons to report those crimes. For example, look at the cities in California where people walk out with a shopping cart full of items and it isn't even reported. Comparing reports, their crime rate is dropping! I was in Seattle last summer and my nephew noticed a guy sawing a lock a bicycle that was stolen. He didn't even bother to call the police to report it since he said the police wouldn't bother showing up!

When I have clients moving here from out of state that are not familiar with Boise, I prefer to walk along the Boise River Greenbelt so they can walk under the bridges and through the parks and judge for themselves if the lack of graffiti, tents and litter is better than where they live. It is almost always a resounding YES, much better!

Old 01-31-2024, 03:25 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
are way more aggressive in pursuing different crimes than others causing different reasons to report those crimes. ...

When I have clients moving here from out of state that are not familiar with Boise, I prefer to walk along the Boise River Greenbelt so they can walk under the bridges and through the parks and judge for themselves if the lack of graffiti, tents and litter is better than where they live. It is almost always a resounding YES, much better!
Inconsistent reporting is an obvious problem. But while your approach probably works well for Boise, as a general rule I would not feel comfortable measuring how dangerous a place is by visiting to see the crime/ absence thereof first-hand.

But if you are not going to rely on incomplete data or personal first-hand observation, I guess you have to rely on ancedotes from other people, which I think is another can of worms unless you can verify the integrity of the opinion somehow, and also how represantative a single person's perspective is.

There are clearly many people who are not bothered living in close proximity to high crime areas. Personally I am relatively young but I would have a difficult time living in a place less safe than Ada County, especially for raising a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho