Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2023, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

Looking at 5 acre property with small house and shop up Rapid Lightning Creek. Former owners were part tome residents looking to be full time but concerned about winters up there. House is about 5 plus miles past Pack River Store. Any honest opinions about living there? Know roads can be a challenge and this one is off High Rd up there. Will need snow plow/tractor and 4 wheel drive for sure. Luckily I have a 10 year old Jeep to get to town etc. How is wildlife and general safety up there? And how well does Starlink work from any remote work users in that vicinity? Hear conflicting information. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 04:09 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
There is no reason why there will be any Starlink performance issues specific to that location. As a general matter many properties in NID will have issues with trees blocking the view of the satellites. The solution is going to be a combination of getting the antenna up higher and/or removing offending trees.

We are in eastern Sagle, and usually see performance in the range of 160 Mbps down/20 Mbps up. While I know trees can be an issue, they were less of a problem in our location than I anticipated.

Note that Starlink controls the number of users in a "cell' to ensure good performance. You may find there is a waiting list to get service on any particular location. When we decided to get Starlink I think we waited for 3-4 months. As they launch satellites capacity goes up and they can add more users. They launch satellites frequently in batches of about 50.

We know someone who lives up that way. It is a little more remote than some other areas of Bonner County, and the road can be a challenge after a winter storm. You've already noted that you'll need snow removal equipment and a good 4WD. I'd suggest that if you live in rural NID (outside town) those are probably a good idea no matter where you live.

Dave

Old 08-18-2023, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 3,831 times
Thanks so much Dave. Appreciate the input. Lost out on one in Sagle but still on the hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: