Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 03:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Nice fish. Nice chick on the front porch. Suppose those pictures of kids/slide/tubes on the water are the neighbors? Wouldn't want to have to boat in only to find i am overrun with rugrats and noise.

$275? Basic things might be there. No mention of septic. Obviously, no water. Outhouse? Or did i miss it?

I'm just not that into it and have looked at a LOT of remote properties-- which are really remote; not just difficult to get to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 11:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
CFF (or anyone who may know the answer)
It occurred to me that the cabin may have a portable toilet, the kind boaters use on white water rivers.
Basically, everything is bagged and comes out on the boat. This is a very economical way of handling the waste in a safe way.

My question is:
Is a permanent chemical toilet a person can buy that doesn't need a septic drain field?

Old 05-19-2023, 01:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Here's another interesting property for under $300K!
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M97785-26480
20 acres of messy woods (nice cedars) with a "roughed-in" log cabin and a seasonal stream. The location is close to Western Pleasures Guest Ranch, with US Gov't land on two sides.
At least you don't have to hop on a boat to get there...

Old 05-19-2023, 01:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
CFF (or anyone who may know the answer)
It occurred to me that the cabin may have a portable toilet, the kind boaters use on white water rivers.
Basically, everything is bagged and comes out on the boat. This is a very economical way of handling the waste in a safe way.

My question is:
Is a permanent chemical toilet a person can buy that doesn't need a septic drain field?

Mike, I don't know about chemical toilets and drain fields, but at my family's lake cabin in the NE we've had a composting toilet for 20 years. It is an ecologist's dream--you add special soil instead of flushing, and when you winterize the cabin you empty the drawer with the "stuff" that by then has turned to soil, and use it as fill dirt. Totally environmentally safe. It has its own ventilation mechanism so the indoor space is free of odors. But...odors have to go somewhere, and they are being pumped into the air, so it's imperative not to place the toilet exhaust pipe anywhere near one's patio or outside kitchen!

Old 05-19-2023, 01:53 PM

Thanks, CFF.
That composting toilet would have been a good choice for the property mentioned here, I think.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
20 acres of messy woods (nice cedars) with a "roughed-in" log cabin and a seasonal stream. The location is close to Western Pleasures Guest Ranch, with US Gov't land on two sides.
Whooo....
That's not a place for a novice homesteader!
But it is a better property, only because it's more accessible.

I don't know how good the deal is, though- I would need to thump those logs in the unfinished cabin with a mallett before I would pay that much for the property; those logs are all old, and they look like some could have rot in them.
But maybe not- the roof still looks pretty good. The only way to know would be to thump every log in that dwelling.
It's not far enough along that some rotten logs could be jacked out of the wall and replaced, but not all of them are replaceable. It might prove to be better to write the building off, save the salvaged scrap, and get a cheaper sales price on the ground.

And there's a lot more work on that land that needs to be done than just the cabin.

Much more; 2-3 summer's worth of cutting, burning the slash and trash, and some major bulldozer blade work to be done once the junk timber is cleared.

Old 07-13-2023, 11:10 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And just like that someone took the bait and bought it. Hope they know survival skills or have the $$$ to spruce it up a bit...or both.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
And just like that someone took the bait and bought it. Hope they know survival skills or have the $$$ to spruce it up a bit...or both.
FIrst:
Congratulations on your move! I've never seen someone who wanted to move here more qnd worked so hard for so long to get it done.
I hope you and your family will be very happy here, and my best wishes to you all.

Second:
You're absolutely correct about needing the skills and dollars to 'spruce' that place up.
I wondered how old that log work is, and whether the logs were treated with preserative.

I've seen several of these cabins before. When the walls go up before the floor like this, the floors are never built. And those mossy logs look like they need to be checked for dry rot before any more construction is done.

If they are as old as I suspect, it could possibly be cheaper to demolish what's there and start again.
And the property needs at least as much work as the unfinished cabin.

The new owners might have been better off buying one of the other lots instead.

But you never know much unless you know who bought the place. I've seen experienced log home builders to some remarkable restoration things, and when a person can afford the costs, a backwoods property can really shine pretty quickly.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:27 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
FIrst:
Congratulations on your move! I've never seen someone who wanted to move here more qnd worked so hard for so long to get it done.
I hope you and your family will be very happy here, and my best wishes to you all.
Thank you. Took the long road instead of the short one. It was worth it.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Thank you. Took the long road instead of the short one. It was worth it.
That's very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: