Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 09:06 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times

Advertisements

Hey friends, my wife and I are potentially (finally) moving to a place a couple miles east of Moyie Springs not too far off of US2. My question is does anyone here have either Starlink or T-mobile 5G home internet around that area that can give me an idea on what sort of signal and speeds to expect so I can choose the best option? The ziply DSL option is pretty poor and will be rough in the long term for steaming services. We can work remotely no problem but steaming looks to be nearly impossible with the ziply DSL service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 09:32 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I'm down south 30+ miles east of Boise and we cannot get T-Mobile or Verizon 5g home internet (checked last week). Not enough tower capacity yet in Mountain Home. I'd guess getting home 5g will be tough in a small town up north too.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I'm down south 30+ miles east of Boise and we cannot get T-Mobile or Verizon 5g home internet (checked last week). Not enough tower capacity yet in Mountain Home. I'd guess getting home 5g will be tough in a small town up north too.
Moyie Springs has a new 5G tower. I was hoping someone within a couple few miles of the town could give me some insight. I have a friend in Moyie Springs that has Starlink so I have their speeds as a data point but would love to see if I could get more data from other nearby homeowners.

Old 02-27-2023, 08:33 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
I hope you've finally found the place you've been looking for! Moyie Springs is a spectacular area. We considered buying 7 acres just east of MS on the south side of US2, but decided on the Clark Fork property instead. At this point I can't say anything meaningful about Starlink or T-Mobile, sorry, but Verizon has expanded their coverage in North Idaho with new towers. I don't think we have any active members as far north as Moyie Springs--I may be the closest one, in Clark Fork, and I'm not even there during winters--so your friend is probably the best source for Starlink info.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I hope you've finally found the place you've been looking for! Moyie Springs is a spectacular area. We considered buying 7 acres just east of MS on the south side of US2, but decided on the Clark Fork property instead. At this point I can't say anything meaningful about Starlink or T-Mobile, sorry, but Verizon has expanded their coverage in North Idaho with new towers. I don't think we have any active members as far north as Moyie Springs--I may be the closest one, in Clark Fork, and I'm not even there during winters--so your friend is probably the best source for Starlink info.
Ah ok. Thanks for the reply. Yea I figured it was a long shot asking but it wouldn't hurt. If the inspection comes back ok and we get copies of the utility bills to verify usage and cost then it will work out and we'll buy it.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:33 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Go to T-Mobile and put in your prospective address and see if they will allow that address to receive 5-G home internet. That will let you know if it's possible today. I know a guy who has it and he loves it. He said the tower priority is mobile users, business internet users, then home internet users. He said at times his service slows down, but rarely under 100 mb per sec, and never under 75 mb per sec. He lives on the other side of Mt Home from me. I still get the "service is not available at my address at this time" message when I check my address online. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Go to T-Mobile and put in your prospective address and see if they will allow that address to receive 5-G home internet. That will let you know if it's possible today. I know a guy who has it and he loves it. He said the tower priority is mobile users, business internet users, then home internet users. He said at times his service slows down, but rarely under 100 mb per sec, and never under 75 mb per sec. He lives on the other side of Mt Home from me. I still get the "service is not available at my address at this time" message when I check my address online. Good Luck.
I did call and they confirmed service just not what the actual speeds are. We ended up deciding to pass on the house, the inspection was a blood bath! The hunt continues...

Old 03-02-2023, 02:58 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
You might also check with Starlink to see if they are currently able to support new subscribers in your area. I know where we live in Sagle they are not allowing new subscribers at this time. Looks like they are managing the number of subscribers in a "cell" so they can assure they meet their service commitment in terms of speeds. As they add more satellites and the total capacity increases they will open up service to new subscribers. They have told us to expect that to happen in our area sometime this year.

I know a couple people who have Starlink in Sagle. I don't recall off hand what sort of speeds they are seeing but they are both very happy with the performance.

Dave

Old 06-04-2023, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 3,831 times
Sagle Starlink Questions
Hello all. Put an offer in house by Canyon Creek area of Sagle up hill and curious about Starlink speeds (up and down) and estimated latency. We are both remote workers and need good fast internet. Retirement soon but not yet. Currently seller has it installed but not quoting any estimated speeds. Getting a lot of confusing info here on blogs of new account availability there, cells overloaded etc. any current and reliable info on that? Any independent information would be greatly appreciated. Owner suggested we contact Starlink but no info available. Also suggesting we may need Starlink biz plan which is $500 a month. Don’t want to pay that much jobs are not that good. Was hoping to get close to family here sooner than later but cannot survive without good internet.

Old 07-13-2023, 09:08 PM

Time to update my thread since now I live up here and have real world data to share. I'm just east of 3 mile north of Bonners Ferry and the t-mobile 5G thing isn't possible due to the 5G tower in Moyie Springs being blocked by Mother Nature haha.

Starlink is great here on the flip side. Even my temporary setup waiting for my mount kit to arrive I'm getting ~50ms ping and 175-195Mbps down and 15-22Mbps up. Plenty good enough for both my wife and I to work remote, stream at the highest current quality available and do a little gaming. Now I wait for EL to finish installing their fiber so I can move over to that eventually.

Hope this info helps someone else in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho