Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 11:12 PM

274 posts, read 318,673 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we recently purchased a home in Coeur d'Alene and are currently on a 4 user shared well. I'm curious about what our options might be for drilling our own well (the reasons as to why are complex and worth of a separate topic). The shared well is on another homeowner's parcel.

I did get a copy of the water right claim filed in 2010 with a priority date of 1975, with the names of the sellers of my property, and I verified the active status via the IDWR water rights research tool online. I'm thinking I should contact the Coeur d'Alene Spokane River Basin Water system office to get this transferred into my name as the new property owner? Internet research tells me the water right transfers with the sale, but I'd feel better seeing my name next to it in the online tool. The "Point of Diversion" parcel and "Place of Use" parcel are different, any concern there that my right is only to divert from the different parcel where the shared well is? I'm confused by that.

I'm assuming that water right is needed in my name to drill a new well on my property? I remember hearing a couple of years back that there was a multi-year wait list for well drillers, what's the status on that? Is the wait getting any shorter to drill? If it really is several years, I may as well get on someone's list just in case.

I'm still figuring some of this out, but hoping some locals can give me your take on this and better understand what I might be missing as I begin to explore this. The shared well is down the hill from my house and is 120' deep, though I know that is no guarantee I wouldn't need to go significantly deeper. My property is gently sloped so I'm also trying to figure a spot for the drilling trucks to be able to set up.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 04:05 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
I would definitely go to the IDWR office on Mineral Drive to fill out an application to have it in your name. Be advised it takes years to get it done as the applications are compiled until a large number is acquired for adjudication and signature by judge. Since it was already done for yours it might go faster. Our well had none and we started from the beginning around 2011 and finally received it in 2019.

Any local well driller can help you with the process for a new well. We used H2O for service on our existing well.

Edit to add - our well on the prairie is 300 ft deep and in the aquifer.

Last edited by redwood66; 10-03-2022 at 04:25 PM..

Old 10-04-2022, 12:50 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Ask at the IDWR office about claiming water rights. Right now there is a deadline Oct.28 for claiming one's well rights, if i understand it correctly. I believe it is all of Idaho, or maybe it's just Bonner Ct. Sorry about the vagueness of the post, but I think you should inquire ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho