Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 12:18 PM

6,361 posts, read 7,801,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko9999 View Post
Do you have 4wd/AWD vehicles? Do you think they are mandatory for the Post Falls CDA area?
Yes, I have 4WD/AWD. Also a RWD, but that sits parked during the winter. It is not "mandatory", and many get along fine with FWD and even RWD if skilled. There is often ice during on tertiary roads in the winter. Winter tires or studs are common. For me, I like the "security" of AWD, however my tires are just normal run-of-the-mill All Season tires.

The primary roads are kept clear, and secondary roads have enough travel upon them to make for easy transport. The tertiary roads, (local neighborhoods), are the ones that even though plowed, usually ice up sometime during the winter.

Just my own personal experiences. Other's will vary.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 01:56 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,128,782 times
You don't "Need" to have AWD/4WD. I don't live in North Idaho, but drove through every winter at least once from our home in Great Falls, MT to Elgin, OR. A round trip at Christmas and usually another round trip in Feb/Mar. We had my in-laws only grandchildren. Anyway, we had a two-wheel drive Chevy truck that was my daily driver, a Datsun 280ZX that was garaged in the winter (still is), and a Subaru Forester that was my wife's daily driver. I had tire chains for the truck I never put on, ever. I had cable tire chains for the Subaru that I put on once in Oregon to get over the pass into Walla Walla, WA one year. If you take your time, drive slow, keep a very big distance between the vehicle in front of you, you can likely drive just about anything around town and major highways most of the time. If you venture off the main/neighborhood roads, and into rural country roads, then yes AWD/4WD are highly recommended, as well as chains (if your vehicle will take them) and/or good tires.

It's also good to go out and practice driving in the snow. Find a mostly vacant snow covered parking lot and test your braking, steering and how much speed you can do in a turn before you lose traction. Then practice losing that traction and getting it back again, and for fun spin out and see what you need to do to get back under control, or at least what it will take to stop your vehicle at different speeds. That way when you do lose traction on the road you don't panic and you can do better at avoiding hazards. Come the first good snow every year when I have to go out I get up to speed, slam on my brakes and see how long it takes to stop, since my tires are a year older than they were last year. Then I hit the gas a little harder to see where they start to spin. Just a quick check to see how my truck/car are handling.

Last edited by ejisme; 10-14-2022 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-14-2022, 02:06 PM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko9999 View Post
Do you have 4wd/AWD vehicles? Do you think they are mandatory for the Post Falls CDA area?
I have an all wheel drive/ 4WD vehicle and it's most important feature is that it has high ground clearance to get over the snow berms that the snow plows deposit on the sides of the roads.

I also have a little front wheel drive car with studded winter tires and it will go anywhere in North Idaho as long as it has ground clearance. I don't take it out when it is snowing because I am afraid the snow plow will come by when I am gone and i won't be able to get my little car back in the driveway. But the little guy handles ice and snow like a champ as long as it isn't deep.

If you are buying a house, look carefully at the roads getting into your new place and think about what they will be like when covered in snow.

Whether or not you need 4WD depends upon where you live, the quality of the roads, and how steep your driveway is.

If you do have a 4WD please remember that 4WD does not stop you on ice any better than any other vehicle and drive accordingly. Most winter wrecks seem to involve 4WD vehicles where the owner thinks they can go anywhere at any speed they want. It doesn't matter what you are driving, you have to slow down and drive carefully when there is snow and ice on the road.

Old 10-16-2022, 01:33 PM

43 posts, read 87,669 times
Post Falls is becoming more and more a suburb, Hayden has bigger lots but is becoming more expensive. I'd recommend looking at Sagle, Rathdrum (which is getting subdivided up into lots and developments itself), Spirit Lake or Blanchard. Land prices seem to be coming down. spoke with a realtor last week who said most purchases are stalling, if you have cash you can negotiate good deals. Not sure about the school situation compared to Texas. With all the money that just poured into the Sandpoint area I expect there will be more demand for medical professionals. Primary roads are plowed pretty quickly but often are still packed snow/sand. I have experienced a few whiteout situations where I was nervous driving--AWD would certainly be helpful but it's not required. Within a day or two most primary roads are passable, but some of the remote areas take longer to be cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho