Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 17,338 times

Advertisements

What are the best small towns in North Idaho? I'm thinking of selling my home and buying some acreage near a full-service town that's small and still has that old fashioned charm (not too tourisy). What are your favorite small towns in North Idaho and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
There are no small towns in North Idaho that are near a city with full services and where there are no tourists. The tourists get everywhere. Also, there is no cheap property, so if you move to North Idaho, be prepared to pay a lot for place to live.

Just for your information, North Idaho is nowhere near Idaho Falls. Perhaps that will help with your search.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:17 AM

Sorry , I meant that the town has to have at least one grocery store or gas station at least and a nearby hospital. I must have used the wrong term when I said "full-service". So, I'm actually looking to get away from big cities, and I'm conservative as well and kind of just getting tired of the looney tune theatrics in Cali (I didn't vote for any of it, I tried to make a difference, but I want a more traditional and Christian, if I'm being honest, enviroment to raise my family). As far as the the tourist thing, I can't remember but I passed by at least 2 small towns that just had that nice classy (as in old but charming) and vintage/antique feel about it, maybe it was near Priest River? There was not too many tourists, or I didn't see any at least, but that was last fall and I didn't have time to stop and do more exploring, but I would love to know what others think about the best small towns in North Idaho, in their opinion at least, and why.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:23 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
I always liked Wallace, thought with the expanded ski/four-seasons resort there will be tourists in the area and prices have absolutely shot up. It's also on I-90, but it is a small town with full services, and has some nice restaurants in its nice downtown area.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:38 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
[mod note] Thread moved from Idaho Falls forum to the general Idaho forum, (Idaho Falls is located in southeast Idaho and not normally associated with North Idaho. Also added "in North Idaho" to the thread title to clarify OP's intent.[/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-19-2022, 10:54 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
There are a lot of smaller towns in North Idaho that could fit your criteria, however, during the summer season, tourists are everywhere. The past two weeks have been really peaceful as school has started back up causing most of the tourists to go back home. Weekends are still pretty hectic as we get a lot of Washingtonians coming over to recreate and play.

For myself, I resettled in Rathdrum. Not exactly what you are looking for, but fit for me. Close enough to the "circus", (i.e., CdA, Hayden, Post Falls), for medical, recreation, and shopping needs but far enough away to not actually be part of it. Most days during the week I get over there for something or other; weekends I usually stay away.

Where you end up will depend on your budget. What you are looking for is available, but the cost of it has increase tremendously in the past couple of years. My suspicion is that due to the economic evolution of the economy, prices will be drastically reduced next year and following.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-19-2022, 11:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
https://www.land.com/property/Wallac...3873/15364051/

I am in no rush and will wait for prices to fall, but above its a typical listing in the area.

https://www.land.com/property/34.38-...daho/15406044/

This is an example of everything you want to avoid. Steep mountain property. Virtually no place to even park a vehicle, let alone find a flat place on which to build. Look on either side of the path that someone has carved out into the side of the hill.

https://www.land.com/property/16.7-a...daho/15230983/

Another typical property that is "doable". Again, very costly.

I have looked at property in the Idaho, Montanna and Wyoming area for a couple of years All if it is very high in demand and prices are VERY high. When it is priced "affordably", i have noticed that is it very steep, mountainous, landlocked save for an "easement", lacks water or water rights, and might be laden with mine tailings over just about every inch. I also see properties which have been denuded of trees and now the runt is for sale.

I get it. Demand is very high, but most of the people who are perusing these properties are following a dream of living in isolation, living off the land, etc. Most will fail and you will see properties come for sale at better prices.

By comparison, you can purchase properties in northern Maine for a fraction of the cost. The difference is that there are NO services/no towns and very little access. But isn't that what people "say" they want? Idaho or Montanna is a more foo-foo address, i gather.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:12 PM

Thank you all for the information. The Wallace photos are beautiful! Hoping to get some acreage that already has a home on it. I think the demand for what I'm looking for is only going to go up, especially as taxes and social issues continue to get worse elsewhere so I want to get my foot in the door sooner than later, but it would be nice if prices go down, just don't want to risk it if they don't. I talked to a realtor today about selling my existing house, just want to get over to my little piece of paradise as soon as possible. Never been to Maine, I've been to west New York, not really my thing. The people matter a lot to me as well. I hear folks from Idaho are pretty down to Earth and good natured, that's important too, another reason I want to move to a small town area. Thanks again for all the replies! I'll check back again tonight.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:37 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Thank you for the further clarification. It helps.

If you have never lived anywhere that has a long cold snowy winter, I suggest that you might want a slightly larger town than you are thinking of. Volosong's recommendation of Rathdrum is excellent. It's a smallish town with charm and close to Coeur d'Alene for the good hospital and shopping and the highways are well maintained in the winter. It is also a township where you can find 5 acres of usable land with a smallish house on the outskirts. Not cheap, but nothing like Coeur d'Alene prices.

Rathdrum has a good grocery store and a couple of excellent restaurants and is OK for household shopping. They have one of the best vets in the area (if you have pets) and a couple of tire stores and two really good hardware stores. Coeur d'Alene is close for Costco and medical and a good selection of shops and restaurants.

Nothing in North Idaho is cheap. Price might possibly go down with the higher interest rates, but they won't go down into "reasonable price" territory.

Sandpoint, further north, is gorgeous, but definitely not cheap and definitely tourist infested. There are small villages surrounding Sandpoint where you can get yourself fairly isolated but you will have to drive for services and winters might not be as fun as you hope they will be. None of that land is cheap and a lot of it would be a small fortune to develop into a home site. If land isn't level and it doesn't have utilities to the lot line, be prepared to spend big money before you can put a house there.

And just a suggest, before you buy anything, picture what the road in and out will be like with a heavy load of snow.

The following listing looks like a rat hole but it is level, in an excellent location, and has all the utilities in, and it has a shop. it's a great building site. Most properties on five usable acres are over $1 million if the house is halfway decent..

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2947875870

Old 09-19-2022, 05:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
I really like Spirit Lake. It has the classic small-town vibe, and is close to amenities. Here is something affordable, and looking good (al least on a website):
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2947425566
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho