Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 775 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband may be getting a new job in Meridian this Winter/Spring, so we are doing some research on where to buy a new home. We are a family of five seeking a new construction community with a big lot and community events/amenities such as access to gym, pool, trails, water, golf courses.

LOCATION: Would you recommend living in Eagle or Star and why? My husband would be commuting to Meridian, so what is the traffic like? Can anyone give me info on Legacy community in Eagle or any other recommendations on communities that offer what we are looking for in Star, Eagle, or another area nearby?

SCHOOLS: Right now we live in a small rural community, with one middle school and one high school. Which leads me to my next question about information about Star vs Eagle Middle School and any information on Eagle High School. Right now my kids are a 2A school and love playing sports year round.

SPORTS: Is there a local premiere soccer program or a feeder high school basketball program in the area (maybe AAU teams)? Any information on soccer or basketball for an 11yr old girl would be great. Any information on golfing, basketball, maybe baseball for a 14yr old boy would be great. Any information on basketball or softball for a 16yr old girl would be great.

OTHER RECREATION: My husband and son are into fishing & hunting so any info would be great as well. We enjoy lakes & river floats in the summer and our kids like skiing in winter. Are there professional sports or concert opportunities nearby? Dirt bike tracks anywhere?

Just trying to find the right neighborhood to relocate, best schools, & extra curricular activities for our kids to make new friends and continue to do everything they love.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM

8,517 posts, read 8,883,288 times
May take some time for local knowledgeable replies but hopefully they'll come.

Til then, use search tool at top / right of page for things like Eagle / Meridian traffic, schools, the various sports, Boise fishing, Idaho hunting, etc.

Dirt bike links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bois...9i57.13316j0j4

Pro sports: https://www.google.com/search?q=bois...9i57.13549j0j7

Boise State University has a very popular football team and other sports.

For concert info, check entertainment section of Idaho Statesman newspaper.

Star sorta fits description small rural community by location and style, though it might be better to call it a fairly dense exurb. Eagle is more upscale, established suburb with services though surprisingly less dense (lots of large lots).

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-03-2022 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-03-2022, 12:53 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,138,128 times
You can likely find new construction with most of your desires. Community pools are not common, since the swimming season is pretty short and the rivers and lakes are clean and mostly free. His commute will be based on where in Meridian his work will be located. Boots and wheels on the ground will determine if a neighborhood is an easy commute or not. In general Eagle or Star would be easy drives into Meridian, but if his work is near or south of the freeway that's a lot of surface roads to negotiate with lots of other people.

Several golf courses, gyms, trails and water access in the area. The Boise river is right there, and lakes are reasonably close by (within a couple hours). Other rivers and stream are close too.

Plenty of fishing right in town, and all throughout the area. Hunting is close by with lots of other people hunting in the same areas, so fairly crowded nearby. To get less fellow hunters you'll need to travel a few hours. You'll figure that out when you live here, but yes, plenty of hunting opportunities in Idaho.

Look up Bogus Basin Ski Resort. Basically 30 minutes away. Other ski hills/resorts are within a few hours drive. There is minor league baseball and hockey in the metro. That's it for professional sports that I know of. Though the Albertsons Open Golf Championship is held every August, and is the level below the PGA, so some of the golfers will be on the PGA tour soon. There are several concert venues, playhouses, etc. in the area. Seating from a few hundred to maybe 15K in a couple of the outdoor venues. They draw national bands of all genres and touring plays. There is also a very, very nice Shakespearean troupe/festival in east Boise that puts on a variety of plays outdoors each summer.

I don't have school aged kids anymore, and the friends we have in Eagle don't either. I see kids around the downtown area on their own when we visit, so I'd say it's a pretty safe area to let your kids out on their own when they get near their tween years and older (i.e. your 14 y/o could safely be out with his 14 y/o friends). In general the Boise area is a very safe metro.

Good Luck and Eagle/Star would be nice places to settle.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:34 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,923,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcmjmbmam View Post
Hello. My husband may be getting a new job in Meridian this Winter/Spring, so we are doing some research on where to buy a new home. We are a family of five seeking a new construction community with a big lot and community events/amenities such as access to gym, pool, trails, water, golf courses.

Several large housing developments in Meridian/Eagle and Star seem to advertise community pools and the such. You will just need to do some research.

There is a large YMCA in South Meridian that has an aquatic center.

https://www.ymcatvidaho.org/faciliti...a/?adlt=strict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho