Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 PM

39 posts, read 34,540 times

Advertisements

Is Jerome ( near twin falls ) a problematic place to live, given the construction ?

I keep hearing from various social media posts, that there is yet another power outage and that Idaho Power takes a while to get back working.

My remote job boss would fire me if I couldn't work a day here and a day there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsmusicpizza View Post
Is Jerome ( near twin falls ) a problematic place to live, given the construction ?

I keep hearing from various social media posts, that there is yet another power outage and that Idaho Power takes a while to get back working.

My remote job boss would fire me if I couldn't work a day here and a day there.
It's a remote area.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
LOL hardly what I'd call "remote". It's grown big time and is home to many a milk and grain processing plant. It's largely Hispanic and the crime rate in that town is not a desirable thing. It's 10 minutes from Twin Falls right off I-84. Personally, I wouldn't live there but to each their own.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:54 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
LOL hardly what I'd call "remote". It's grown big time and is home to many a milk and grain processing plant. It's largely Hispanic and the crime rate in that town is not a desirable thing. It's 10 minutes from Twin Falls right off I-84. Personally, I wouldn't live there but to each their own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome,_Idaho

https://www.city-data.com/city/Jerome-Idaho.html

Old 06-16-2022, 05:55 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Jerome isn't remote by Idaho standards.

It's only 15 miles away from Twin Falls. That's about the same distance from Twin as Wendell, while Kimberly is a little closer to Twin, and Gooding a little farther away.

Even Murtaugh, Gooding, and Hagerman seem to be closer to Twin once on the ground than they are because traffic congestion is next to non-existent in the entire region between one city and the next. Except for the Interstate, as I-84 is the sole Interstate, so it's always busy.

Compare Jerome to Arco to see what remote means here.
Arco is the Butte County seat, and Butte County only has about 3,000 residents. Arco is the largest city in the county. The closest city with any major services is 60 miles away, via a 2-lane highway.

I like to use Google maps' street views a lot to see what a small town actually looks like.

While the view won't say much about the people, it always implies a lot about a community's prosperity, age, and it's growth.
Or growth potential; the street view will often inform me that some small towns have been shrinking for a while, and others are getting ready for more residents.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:21 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Power outage is no big deal. If you absolutely must have power, you invest in a generator.

However, if you absolutely must have internet, my internet and the cable TV both go out occasionally when there is a power outage. I'm assuming that some sort of relay station is affected by the power outage.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:52 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Idaho is like California; we have a lot of very old transmission lines and relay stations.

Most are still working, but when one breaks down, the power company often makes some major replacement work on them, as they're the weakest spots.

If there's no way to switch the power over to another line or relay, the outage can last for several days when the line is rural.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:35 PM

39 posts, read 34,540 times
Thank you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho