Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 05:16 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,759,243 times

Advertisements

The round green thing is my grandkids sandbox. The boat started to float out of the lift so it’s tied up to the dock now. We took the flowers out of the submerged planter to sit out the high water in buckets. About 9 more inches to go till it starts to go down. The coyote that is supposed to scare away the geese needs a snorkel!
Attached Thumbnails
The lake is high!-21ca63ed-b277-4c6a-867d-2d00c2ac7af1.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 08:53 PM

Pend Oreille always seems to be the last to come up. We were at normal summer pool weeks ago.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:05 PM

820 posts, read 1,072,162 times
Wow. I didn't realize the lake(s) there had that much variance in high water levels.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:05 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
The Snake River is running very high right now. If Palisades Dam wasn't there to regulate the flow, the waters would be a flood stage, I think.

This spring was unusually very cold, and while May is typically rainy, the rain turned to snow in all the higher elevations.

Normally, the snow pack begins the spring melt before May' rainfall, but this year, the melt stalled out by the cold temps before it had really begun. Here it is; miid-June. Last night there was a freeze warning out, and the past 4 days topped out in the low 60s, while today is going to hit 86 here.

That means all the snow melt is becoming heavier than it would have been, and it's combining with all the rain run-off.

Here, it's making a record flood on the Yellowstone River, while up in NID, it's causing all the lakes to top off suddenly.

This kind of weather makes for flash flooding. We don't see it in Idaho very often, but this is the year for it, I'm sure.

It's a mixed blessing for me; while I hate to see anyone who gets wiped out in a flood, all this water coming so fast at once has completely reversed Idaho's drought for this summer's growing season. So if we get just a little more rain in fall, we could be in even better shape come next summer.

For the panhandle, all this late moisture reduces the potential for some seriously big wildfires. We will probably have some fires break out, but hopefully, the forest soil has enough moisture to prevent them from becoming super-fires, like the ones in N. Mexico.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-16-2022 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 06:28 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Hey, Misty....
Does the fake coyote work to scare the geese?

Old 06-16-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hey, Misty....
Does the fake coyote work to scare the geese?
It did at first…not at all now. He’s more of an unofficial mascot now. In fact the damned geese were swimming around his poor submerged self till we hauled him out of the water this afternoon.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Wow. I didn't realize the lake(s) there had that much variance in high water levels.
They start releasing water past the dams in the late autumn in anticipation of the spring snow melt bringing the lake levels back up to "normal".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-17-2022, 09:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
They start releasing water past the dams in the late autumn in anticipation of the spring snow melt bringing the lake levels back up to "normal".
Thanks, I never knew there were dams that created the lakes up there. I am used to the "old days" when they would call those reservoirs instead of lakes. I just looked up Lucky Peak near me which I grew up calling Lucky Peak Reservoir and see it's name was changed in 1971 to Lucky Peak Lake.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:18 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Snake River is running very high right now. If Palisades Dam wasn't there to regulate the flow, the waters would be a flood stage, I think. ..........

Is this one of the dams that the woke are agitating to have removed for the health of the salmon run?

Old 06-17-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
Thanks, I never knew there were dams that created the lakes up there. I am used to the "old days" when they would call those reservoirs instead of lakes. I just looked up Lucky Peak near me which I grew up calling Lucky Peak Reservoir and see it's name was changed in 1971 to Lucky Peak Lake.
They are still natural lakes, not reservoirs. But the levels are manipulated via hydro dams. At least Priest, Pend Oreille and Lake Coeur D’Alene are natural. They were lakes before they dammed the outlet rivers and if they got rid of the dams they would still be lakes.

Last edited by mistyriver; 06-17-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho