Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
I have been unable to find the answer to my question online and was hoping to avoid a special DMV appointment just to get it answered. I live in Idaho (Kootenai County) and have several older vehicles from my past that are still registered in my name with a California title as "non-operational". The only reason that I haven't retitled them in Idaho as they would have to be towed into the DMV for the VIN inspection. Is there another way to retitle them or do I have to tow them into the DMV one at a time? TIA
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 11:22 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It is my understanding that there is a form that you can have a local police officer fill out to verify the VIN number and not have to actually take the vehicle into the DMV

Old 04-25-2022, 03:57 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Talk to the local PD/Sheriff in your area. They will come out and do the VIN inspection at your place, when they have time.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Port of Entry rover staff will also come to your house to verify and fill out form for you. When we had it done it was $5 for them to do.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
Hello,
I know your post was written last year but were you able to move your vehicles to Idaho?
I have a 1955 Ford Truck that is still registered in my name sitting in So. California at my son's home. I live in Power county Idaho now for 10 years and I really would love to get my truck up here. I was wondering how I can drive it up here when I know it hasn't been registered in Calif. for 10 years. Will the Idaho DMV issue a temporary registration so that I can legally drive it up here? My truck is a Ford 350 stake side flat bed. It is a heavy truck and I don't see how I could tow it. I know it won't go the speed limit here in Idaho (80mph) but it can go 55 mph. Could my son take a photo of the VIN for me to show the sheriff here?
If I go to register the truck first in Calif. they will probably charge me for the 10 years of not being registered. My son didn't put it as non-op. I need to save money on this endeavor.

How did you manage to get your vehicles up to Idaho? Thank you for your help.

Karolee

Old 06-04-2023, 08:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolee View Post
How did you manage to get your vehicles up to Idaho? Thank you for your help.

Karolee
Drove them or towed them. Your problem is going to be with California, not Idaho. You are allowed a window of time once the vehicle is in Idaho to get the license changed.

There is some sort of system for dealers to move cars, but I don't know how that works in California. Perhaps show your Idaho license to the DMV and get a temporary plate to move the car.

Have you looked into how much it would cost to have it delivered to Idaho? That would simplify things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho