Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 42,635 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Still searching the U.S. for our next place to live. We still live in western Washington state, but are definitely ready for a change. We're not especially political and consider ourselves moderates—but these last few years have exposed some differences between us and many of our neighbors. While "diversity" is often touted around here, few are interested in diversity of opinions. As I'm sure has been the case with other places, Covid has exacerbated some of these differences.

I have no interest in ranting my personal views, but I bring all of this up to say that we are looking forward to a place with a little more freedom or at least where we might bump into more folks of a similar mind. On the other hand we are not religious nor are we especially conservative.

We've read that Moscow is very progressive and moving further to the left—strict around Covid, outdoor masking, etc. during pandemic, and that the local government is authoritarian, high taxes, etc. Doesn't sound like our cup of tea.

On the other hand, we've had friends who moved there tell us it is nothing like Western Washington and that there is a big difference between an Idaho progressive and a Washington progressive, and that they've hardly noticed Covid there versus their original home in western Washington.

We love Moscow's vibe, the farmers market, having a college nearby to watch games, the high school looks great, etc. but do you think someone with center-right politics will be uncomfortable or especially frustrated trying to live there? Should we aim for Sandpoint?

We love Sandpoint too, but it feels a little more isolated than we'd like and while we'd do our best to embrace the snow, we wonder how well we'll like the winter.

In the end we're probably most concerned about our kids enjoying their childhood and being able to run our business from our home property. We like living around all kinds of people, but want to feel like we can be ourselves.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 08:05 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/idah...ent=nlbuttonB2

This is dated: February 23, 2017

Old 01-20-2022, 08:39 PM

269 posts, read 329,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
This is dated: February 23, 2017
Sandpoint looks nice, all right. But that "welcoming icon" at City Beach is not there anymore, AFAIK. Don't know what happened to it....

Old 01-20-2022, 09:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Sandpoint definitely more scenic than Moscow, but yes off the beaten path. Both get snow every winter but SP gets almost twice the amount. Of course Moscow has a lot of college students while Sandpoint has a lot of retirees. Kind of depends on who you want to live around, I guess. Sandpoint feels about the same size as Moscow but in truth is much smaller in population.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Sandpoint definitely more scenic than Moscow, but yes off the beaten path. Both get snow every winter but SP gets almost twice the amount. Of course Moscow has a lot of college students while Sandpoint has a lot of retirees. Kind of depends on who you want to live around, I guess. Sandpoint feels about the same size as Moscow but in truth is much smaller in population.
I'll take Sandpoint in that case. Don't want to be near a college town.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:40 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think life in both would be about the same.
Sandpoint is a tourist town; it depends on tourism to keep it going.

Tourists act a lot like college kids in my observation. Sandpoint isn't large enough to have a well defined tourist zone like the big tourist towns. Like Ketchum, tourists would be all over the place all the time, so a resident would simply have to live with them and find their own ways of dealing with the problems tourists bring.

Given Idaho's huge attraction, I would expect Moscow's student population will increase. The U of I has always been a bargain for out of state students; whenI was there 50 years ago, it was the college that took students who either couldn't afford to get a Master's degree in another school, or couldn't qualify in another school for the program. It was also the place where rich flunk-outs could be sent to get their final chance at a degree. Today, Moscow is still cheaper to live in for a student than Boise. Boise State is Idaho's leading college now.

Sandpoint will be getting even more tourists now than in the past. Folks have decided lately to see America first again, and all the national parks that surround Idaho have set one record year after another in attendance.

The scenery is different, for sure, but not by all that much. The Palouse is quite beautiful in its own right. Folks move there for that scenery too.

The largest difference that comes to my mind is the lake. Sandpoint would have a damper winter climate than Moscow, I'm sure, but the longer darkness of winter and the overcast skies are much the same in both places.

If a person is a retiree who chooses to live in either city, I expect they would face very similar problems, and receive very similar pleasures.

For sure, neither of the cities will ever become a very different place to live than they are now.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:24 AM

27 posts, read 42,635 times
Great feedback and advice. Thank you all.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmayles View Post
Great feedback and advice. Thank you all.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:18 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
"...do you think someone with center-right politics will be
uncomfortable or especially frustrated trying to live there?" (re: Moscow)

It depends what makes you uncomfortable / frustrated as someone with center-right politics now and how much.

IF the majority of people voting Democrat for President or supporting the legal right to choose family planning / abortion or supporting minimum wage or use of zoning and taxes adequate to pay for local services & some amenities makes you uncomfortable / frustrated, then you might feel the same in Moscow or 60 -75% of cities in U.S.

Or substitute in other issues. I don't know what specifically makes you uncomfortable / frustrated. Say if you want to possibly get better feedback from locals (not me, though I have considered it).

Live just outside Moscow and you might find more neighbors with similar views. People taking that approach can still enjoy the city amenities they don't want to pay for and patronize businesses or attend entertainment often run by progressives and yet be further from certain events they don't support.

Sandpoint is purple for local politics. Progressives sometimes win city offices, at least up to now. But it not totally live and let live purple. It is battle royale purple for some. Someone moderate conservative there might have issues to the left and right.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-27-2022 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-27-2022, 04:21 PM

I think if one just stays centered in day to day living and not get into politics or certain controversial matters they should be fine. Neutrality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho