Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2021, 12:57 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times

Advertisements

What is the name of the really small frogs that croak in the spring/summer? I have one, possibly 2 in my apartment. I have no idea how it got in. Of course my apartment is heated and the frog thinks it is spring and croaks off and on at around 1 or 2 am and occasionally in the morning. This morning I swore I heard a deeper sounding croak on the other side of the living room. We have yet to find where they exactly are, but we are trying. If I find it/them and put it outside it will die, right? It should be hibernating somewhere outside in the winter. If I find it/them what should I do? Should I get an aquarium and set it up in there in my apartment, or is there a way to safely get it to hibernate outside? What would they eat if kept inside? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 01:10 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
What is the name of the really small frogs that croak in the spring/summer? I have one, possibly 2 in my apartment. I have no idea how it got in. Of course my apartment is heated and the frog thinks it is spring and croaks off and on at around 1 or 2 am and occasionally in the morning. This morning I swore I heard a deeper sounding croak on the other side of the living room. We have yet to find where they exactly are, but we are trying. If I find it/them and put it outside it will die, right? It should be hibernating somewhere outside in the winter. If I find it/them what should I do? Should I get an aquarium and set it up in there in my apartment, or is there a way to safely get it to hibernate outside? What would they eat if kept inside? Thanks.
Assuming its a frog that actually found its way in from the outdoors (instead of an exotic species that was brought in on freight or possibly houseplants), probably a chorus frog. Sometimes referred to as spring peepers or tree frogs. They are tiny and can squeeze through smaller crevices than you might imagine. The deeper croak could be a toad, less likely one of several larger native frogs that would stay closer to a natural water source.

As for what to do about them, that's tricky. If they don't have a source of insect food indoors they'll starve eventually. Amphibians can be difficult to care for in captivity so even though you have good intentions, you could end up killing it. You'd need a lot of live insect food for the entire winter and you'd also need to know how to care for those insects, understand vitamin and mineral supplementation, understand proper lighting, safe ways to keep the terrarium and the water clean (amphibians are sensitive to many many everyday household products). How cold is it outdoors? Do you have any place that might serve as a "transition" zone where the frog/toad could cool down, acclimate and go into torpor on its own more gradually? What about a shed, large woodpile, or cooler garage? Do you have a pond or marshy forested area that is still unfrozen where it could be released?

Actually, I'd search for a local reptile/amphibian interest group, maybe a regional society or club for suggestions what might be the kindest way to handle your little houseguest. They may be able to offer advice on creating a safer overwintering place for it, They might also know someone who could catch and relocate or care for your frog until spring arrives.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-05-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-05-2021, 08:34 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post

https://thefroglady.wordpress.com/20...rogs-of-idaho/

Old 12-06-2021, 09:34 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,784,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Thanks, a lot of cute frogs pictured.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:56 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
My son kept a small bunch of peepers he found in an aquarium for a few years. He fed them grubs he bought from a bait company.
He said they were quite the little predators. The peepers would stalk the grubs, and he said they were quite fun to watch.

He never minded their constant singing all night, but he said after feeding they would be pretty noisy, and kept his girlfriend awake nights.

She didn't like the muddy mess of the aquarium very much either. It sat in a shelf on the back porch next to the kitchen, and it did make his kitchen smell swampy all the time.

He said he had to keep it pretty wet or the frogs would start suffering. Even tiny frogs splash mud and lots of it.

So he returned them to the little boggy spot he found them after a couple of years.

After reading Misty's post, I discovered the frogs were all Sierra Tree Frogs.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-06-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: