Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:35 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times

Advertisements

I tend to drive on the highways and main roads. My son goes cross country.

I am a passenger with my son driving and we are going on lots of back roads and there are huge apartment complexes under construction all over the place.

Not that I don't see lots of new apartments just from the main roads, but the number and size of the new buildings going up all over the place was a surprise. It appears that there will be plenty of apartments for rent for all the in-comers.

At one point in my life I'd be wondering who would be living in so many new houses and apartments, but unfortunately, I know the answer to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 10:12 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,369,595 times
Welcome to the club. This is happening all over Idaho in the larger towns and cities.

You should see the apartments under construction in the Boise Metro and the urban apartment boom in downtown Boise.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:49 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,424,843 times
That's where the money is in the construction biz these days.
A 3800 sq.ft. McMansion can cost a contractor almost as much as a smaller 3-storey apartment, but the return to the contractor is over 3 times greater for the apartment than the house. The sales are quicker too.

Home builders always build to. where the market is, but they sometimes change the market too. The reason why so many McMansions were built before the housing bubble was because building a larger, fancier home was profitable for the builder, and a smaller starter home was not profitable.

Now, the market has gone the other way. Younger buyers want smaller and simpler and more affordable. They don't want big yards or big houses any more. The young are the ones the home builders are catering to now.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:10 PM

5,592 posts, read 5,044,798 times
Condos and apartments?

No privacy at all.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:37 PM

7,388 posts, read 12,702,376 times
A huge apartment complex is almost completed on Kootenay Cutoff in Ponderay (the Sandpoint business district) Traffic is quite overwhelming as it is.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,424,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Condos and apartments?

No privacy at all.
So what?
No one is forcing anyone to move into one.

When moving into a strange city, the relative lack of privacy can also establish new friendships more easily than living in a home can.

It's never only this or that. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So what?
No one is forcing anyone to move into one.

When moving into a strange city, the relative lack of privacy can also establish new friendships more easily than living in a home can.

It's never only this or that. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another.
Yes it can work both ways.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:50 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,770,990 times
I have some mixed feelings regarding the higher density types of housing. So far I've yet to see an example of where it's enhanced a given area or neighborhood. Most often it's enhanced traffic congestion and sadly they don't tend to screen potential residents to a point of where they KNOW they won't be the type to end up causing trouble. I wish you folks a lot of luck as you'll need it with that kind of growth.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I have some mixed feelings regarding the higher density types of housing. So far I've yet to see an example of where it's enhanced a given area or neighborhood. Most often it's enhanced traffic congestion and sadly they don't tend to screen potential residents to a point of where they KNOW they won't be the type to end up causing trouble. I wish you folks a lot of luck as you'll need it with that kind of growth.
I would say head in the opposite direction.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:07 AM

551 posts, read 806,034 times
Maybe they will change their minds about building apartments since renters can continue to not pay rent according to the regime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho