Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 01:11 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times

Advertisements

Whether real or not the thought of that silicon valley scourge oozing it’s way in north Idaho disgusts me. I really hope that doesn’t happen.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
They should probably get Lake Coeur d'Alene pollutants under control and cleaned up before any of that happens. It's a ticking time bomb!

Old 07-06-2021, 03:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Whether real or not the thought of that silicon valley scourge oozing it’s way in north Idaho disgusts me. I really hope that doesn’t happen.
I would think jobs for north Idahoans would be a good thing. Maybe it could prevent them from having to move elsewhere because they can’t afford to live where they grew up. But prepare yourself: there are a ton of people here who’ve “oozed” their way here from California and the SV.
I think you’ve just insulted a bunch of members here.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
They should probably get Lake Coeur d'Alene pollutants under control and cleaned up before any of that happens. It's a ticking time bomb!
Right now I think the Governor is more taken with the idea of sending Idaho state patrol to the border than cleaning up the lake.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:24 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I would think jobs for north Idahoans would be a good thing. Maybe it could prevent them from having to move elsewhere because they can’t afford to live where they grew up. But prepare yourself: there are a ton of people here who’ve “oozed” their way here from California and the SV.
That's what I was thinking.
With no industrial base and no base in agriculture, a digital engineering company like Facebook could employ a lot of smart Idahoans who are wasting their lives working in jobs far below their abilities.

Idaho has suffered a brain-drain all my life. Our best kids have always moved away to find better pay in better work in better states for them.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:32 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Kim Kardashian was wagging her booty this weekend at Lake Coeur d' Alene. Maybe that fake news mistook her to be Zuckerberg.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:37 PM

560 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's what I was thinking.
With no industrial base and no base in agriculture, a digital engineering company like Facebook could employ a lot of smart Idahoans who are wasting their lives working in jobs far below their abilities.

Idaho has suffered a brain-drain all my life. Our best kids have always moved away to find better pay in better work in better states for them.
It’s sad when anyway wants a truly evil company like FB to move to their town or state. I’m disappointed. How about we encourage those companies being pushed out of blue states because of their beliefs or business model to come to ID and any other last remaining free states instead? Or encourage more local tech startups to HQ there? Or even more simple let’s let the people vote. Let Idahoan residents vote for it and if they say yes then so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
The jobs won’t be mostly filled by Idahoans though. It’ll be filled by those from their HQ (and overseas residents) and they will bring their political baggage with them. I saw this happen in several places in Texas where companies out that way relocate to Texas, one of which was in my backyard and very few local residents filled those jobs. Perhaps you’ve not experienced it first hand but I have.

It’s pretty clear people from that region do in fact follow these jobs to their destinations and then proceed to turn that new local area in to a Neo San Fran. Most of the country doesn’t want that which is why you see such a large anti-Cali sentiment country-wide. Some of it isn’t warranted but a lot of it is sad as it may be.

The scourge I refer to are those who are “woke” anti-American anti-capitalists that hate the constitution and companies like FB are chock-full of them. You know, those who bring their aforementioned political baggage with them. If those are who I offended then I’m not concerned about their well-being. If any regular freedom loving Americans that don’t bring their baggage and try to change their destination gets offended then to those and only those I apologize.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:43 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Facebook already employees thousands of Idahoans.

Focusing on Boise, part of the reason it is a progressive, sane, liberal blue city is because of tech and some of this is from home grown tech companies in addition to Millennials moving into the city to work for tech companies who have either relocated or expanded to Boise.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
It’s sad when anyway wants a truly evil company like FB to move to their town or state. I’m disappointed. How about we encourage those companies being pushed out of blue states because of their beliefs or business model to come to ID and any other last remaining free states instead? Or encourage more local tech startups to HQ there? Or even more simple let’s let the people vote. Let Idahoan residents vote for it and if they say yes then so be it.

The jobs won’t be mostly filled by Idahoans though. It’ll be filled by those from their HQ (and overseas residents) and they will bring their political baggage with them. I saw this happen in several places in Texas where companies out that way relocate to Texas, one of which was in my backyard and very few local residents filled those jobs. Perhaps you’ve not experienced it first hand but I have.

It’s pretty clear people from that region do in fact follow these jobs to their destinations and then proceed to turn that new local area in to a Neo San Fran. Most of the country doesn’t want that which is why you see such a large anti-Cali sentiment country-wide. Some of it isn’t warranted but a lot of it is sad as it may be.

The scourge I refer to are those who are “woke” anti-American anti-capitalists that hate the constitution and companies like FB are chock-full of them. You know, those who bring their aforementioned political baggage with them. If those are who I offended then I’m not concerned about their well-being. If any regular freedom loving Americans that don’t bring their baggage and try to change their destination gets offended then to those and only those I apologize.
You mean, CDA would go back to how it actually used to be?
What’s happening now isn’t great for locals. School levies continuously voted down by the transplants, home prices driven up, etc.
As far as Facebook being “evil”? Good grief…the drama and hyperbole.
I think the locals would be happier to see jobs than to see you move in.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Whether a Facebook job would be filled by an Idahoan or someone from outside would depend on the Idahoan.

We're not in the stone age here, Mr. Torgue, and Boise isn't Idaho's only high tech city. Idaho's high tech is also mighty high, as high as it gets in some areas of expertise.

Our higher education here also hasn't been trapped in the Stone Age either. There are high schools, 2-year Jr. Colleges and 4-hear state colleges all over the state that are busy teaching and busy learning subjects like digital engineering.

While a lot of our home-grown digital industry did begin in Boise, don't presume it stayed there. It didn't.

But it's true that innovation here comes fastest where a city is most accessible. Our most remote areas are our most primitive. A place that is hard to get to is going to be slower to change because less newness is entering daily.
Slower is relative, though. It could have taken 40 years to get a telephone put in, but once the phone was there, 2 years later, it had a fax machine attached to it, and then a modem.
The past can never stop the future from coming.

Wilderness is a lot closer and easier to find than we tend to believe. Folks tend to overlook the wild places that are a few blocks away, down by a local river bank or out in some un-developed patches of nature in a sea of suburbs.
Those areas become so familiar they they're ignored, but once in them, they can be as wild as anything, because the wild creatures concentrate in them.

The same is true with people. If someone seeks the primitive life here, he's not going to be interested in working for Facebook. So he won't be looking to move to the same place a prospective Facebook employee is looking into.

No matter where it is, big employment brings big money, and big money eradicates primitivism once it comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho