Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 01:03 AM

314 posts, read 489,347 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I know this is going to sound really whiny, but I just need to vent.
I recognize that Idaho can and should have cheaper prices to use their tax supported state parks, but doubling the state park fees for non residents in the middle of the year just seems petty and rude. Idaho already increased their prices (quite fairly in my opinion at the start of the year). The new increase that start Thursday is what I'm upset about. The state is well within their right to increase their fees for non residents, but to this extent just seems wrong. I bought my annual pass for $40 in March before the state law was passed and while I expect to have that honored for the rest of the year, the new increase makes Idaho parks unaffordable. Even something like a fifty percent increase would have been warranted, but to double the prices is mean spirited. I go to Hells Gate all the time and Lewiston/Clarkston/Asotin are basically one city. Heck when I lived in Lewiston last summer I was there almost every other day... I could certainly understand cutting off cabin/reservations and raising those rates since those really should be used by Idahoans and those on vacation can afford it. But day use should not be this expensive. I like Idaho and they do things right generally speaking compared to WA, but what a slap in the face to loyal visitors. Rant over!

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...12ab0a3a6.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 04:55 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,301,892 times
Does Washington not have any parks?

Old 06-13-2021, 05:51 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,370,012 times
So you can travel to get there often enough to buy a pass for $40, but $40 more is too much?

Old 06-13-2021, 08:20 AM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Perhaps the parks are over-used and it is an attempt to cut down the number of people using the park? Or to pay to repair the damage caused by overuse?

Since it is not your tax money paying for the parks, I'm a teeny bit short on sympathy when your $40 is no longer giving you access every other day. I haven't been to a Washington state park for quite awhile but when I was last there , their non-resident fee was quite substantial. I can't think of any reason that should only go in one direction.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
So you can travel to get there often enough to buy a pass for $40, but $40 more is too much?
They are raising the fee from $40 to $80. My pass is still good for 2021 since I already bought it but outdoor recreation should be encouraged. I wish WA had lower fees for you guys to visit too.
I certainly agree that places with camping should have first priority for Idahoans. Day use should be cheaper.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,288,146 times
I would quadruple it.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I would quadruple it.
They are legally capped at double by federal regulations (since many of the parks are leased) and not allowed to restrict out of staters.

Also I support the main reason this was done, because overnight campers took up all the reservations and you Idahoans weren't getting any slots, but day use is different.

That said, overall Idaho is much better run than Washington.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:46 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,301,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
They are legally capped at double by federal regulations (since many of the parks are leased) and not allowed to restrict out of staters.

Also I support the main reason this was done, because overnight campers took up all the reservations and you Idahoans weren't getting any slots, but day use is different.

That said, overall Idaho is much better run than Washington.
Why is day use different? Shouldn't the residents of Idaho get first dibs?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:50 AM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
........ and you Idahoans weren't getting any slots, but day use is different. .........

I don't know that it is much different. I go to use the day use area of the state park (and local parks) and can't because all the parking is full. I can't use the park if I can't park my car, and I really can't use the lake if there is no place left to park my boat trailer. It's quite common for half or more of the cars in the parking lot to have out-of-state tags.

The state parks and day use areas have limited capacity and a lot of that capacity is used up by people coming in from out of state. So no. It isn't really different.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:00 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,773,108 times
My car has WA tags and I own a home here in Idaho and pay huge property taxes. Maybe some of the Wa tags you are seeing are the same.
Though we don’t tend to use the parks…just the occasional use of the nearest boat ramp, which we get a sticker for every season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: