Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 08:49 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

My family just got a notice that our water is being rationed. We can only use outside water three days a week.

The electricity has frequent outages. Mostly short in duration, but occasionally a week or so long. The week long outages are storm related, but the ones that last 2-10 minutes are problems with the grid or with production. Nobody is requesting that we use less electricity; they just turn the electricity off.

I'm guessing, but it looks to me like the population of Idaho is outgrowing the infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 09:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Do you get your power from Avista? I'm in town and rarely get a power outage, even during the wind storms earlier this year. Maybe once a year or so. We can tell because the stove and microwave clock are blinking when we wake up.

Don't know about the water. We've been told nothing.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,159 times
Which water district?

Old 06-11-2021, 09:48 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Beyond the storm outages (which are probably due to poor maintenance of trees over lines).....

Some possible reasons for the non-storm outages are for:
- switching in the grid to either re-route power sources or bring a backup source online in an area... which could be a result of population growth, causing backups to be used more frequently.

- or they may be bringing new service distribution areas on-line.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
The population of Idaho might well be outgrowing the infrastructure, especially in some cities, but 25% of the state is in a drought, with the south-central part of the state in extreme drought conditions. Most utility providers will start rationing well before it becomes a serious problem.
Having worked at a major water district during two major droughts in California the combination of drought and power outages can be serious in the summer fire season. For homes higher in elevation than the reservoirs serving them, it takes Power to pump up to the hills. In the Oakland Hills firestorm of 1991 the water in the hills ran out and the power lines had burned, so no water to fight the fires.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.or...or-agriculture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_firestorm_of_1991

Old 06-11-2021, 02:48 PM

560 posts, read 436,072 times
As someone who's used to extreme drought here in Texas I hope you all that are affected in Idaho get some rain and lots of it soon. It is a horrendous thing to just never see any measurable rain for a long time. 2010-2011 was a particularly hot and extremely dry period here. But like all things with mother earth we got rain and the problem resolved itself. We are due for another hot/dry cycle again having had mild and semi-wet to wet summers for the last 5~7 years or so. I hope we move outta here before that happens again. Haha.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
We've received a notice to expect power outages due to the weather (Kootenai Electric) and right now over 6,000 Avista customers are without power in Spokane.

I've had a couple of short outages at night. But with this heat wave, I assume that the demand for electric will outpace the infrastructure since everyone will have their Air-conditions running full time. My AC has started running all night and it hasn't cooled down enough to open the windows at night.

There has also been a notice that some power lines will be shut down during wind storms, due to fire danger, like they do in Northern California.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
In past drought years we've had the city send out water restriction notices that say something like we are only allowed to water on Odd or Even days based on the last digit of your street address. They have also said washing a car is not allowed at home, but only at commercial carwashes. I haven't gotten that notice yet this year, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:06 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
It's important to remember that this month and next are the height of the growing season for Idaho's crops.

They all need water, and they all need more water right now than they will in August and from then on to harvest.
It takes electricity to power all those well pumps.

Since agriculture remains Idaho's largest industry and greatest source of income, I wouldn't expect homeowner's demands to take precedence in either water or electric power right now.

We can ration more that our crops can. This heat wave won't last long now, as the summer solstice is almost upon us.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
We are on Kootenai Electric and haven’t gotten any notices. Our water is from our well so no rationing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho