Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,759,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
It’s not just the new folks moving here. Spokane folks come here all the time. I was in the forest yesterday and the overwhelming majority was folks from Washington. Every trail head was more than half full of Washington plates. Locals just get to pay. But we don’t get to play. It’s a great scam they got going. Make us pay for the parks and places to recreate. But they are too crowded for the locals to go enjoy. We do not need tourists. We need locals going out and enjoying their town. The traffic on Saturday on Sherman ave was backed up all the way past zipps. You can’t get around down town or park. I went to see the show. I left as fast as I could. It’s too bad. The city of cda has no vision. Does not care about the environment. Except now the mining pollution they have been ignoring for decades may mess up all their plans if the lake releases its deadly mining waste into the water column. The lake is a ticking time bomb. And the city is directly responsible for ignoring this issue. They have know for over 30 years. A lot of people will be surprised when cda lake turns into a super fund site. Property values will get back to a reasonable level for the pollution your living with.
A lot of those WA plates might be people who own lake homes and pay huge amounts of property taxes to help support those parks. They are also buying day passes or seasonal passes to use parks, boat launches, etc.

There are a tremendous amount of Idahoans in Spokane too. Shopping, using the hospitals, airport, sports facilities and entertainment venues. They also pay into the local economy.

It’s a symbiotic kind of relationship.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
A lot of those WA plates might be people who own lake homes and pay huge amounts of property taxes to help support those parks. They are also buying day passes or seasonal passes to use parks, boat launches, etc.

There are a tremendous amount of Idahoans in Spokane too. Shopping, using the hospitals, airport, sports facilities and entertainment venues. They also pay into the local economy.

It’s a symbiotic kind of relationship.
Re: bold font above. That was a problem, at least last summer. They weren't paying for day passes or seasonal passes.

WA closed down pretty tight because of the virus and many WA residents came over here to recreate. At Farragut, so many used the park without obtaining a pass that the park management had to reconfigure the entry station to force everybody into it so that they would have to pay. Previous to the reconfig, they just drove in to use the facilities without paying.

I do agree that they pay into the economy. Especially at gas stations. Gasoline is a lot less expensive here in Idaho than in Washington.

p.s. Have become friends/acquaintances with one of the new park employees. Chatting the other day, he related that Farragut is the largest money producing and most used park in the state park system.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-04-2021 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 09:57 AM

551 posts, read 805,742 times
Here's an article in the local paper from last year about the out of state crowds at Hayden Lake:

https://cdapress.com/news/2020/jul/3...-of-staters-5/

Old 05-04-2021, 01:08 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,169,119 times
Meanwhile in Washington State, our wonderful Insurance Commissioner has now banned the use of credit when determining insurance rates. This will hit soon and it's a big deal! Those with good credit will see a large price increase in their insurance as a result.

We all know liberals love to spend OPM. But when property taxes and insurance rates go thru the roof, folks pay attention! Those with fixed incomes suffer. Guess where to move to?

All these fun little liberal hairbrained ideas will ensure more and more folks flee leftist hell zone States for Idaho.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:31 PM

5,591 posts, read 5,040,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Meanwhile in Washington State, our wonderful Insurance Commissioner has now banned the use of credit when determining insurance rates. This will hit soon and it's a big deal! Those with good credit will see a large price increase in their insurance as a result.

We all know liberals love to spend OPM. But when property taxes and insurance rates go thru the roof, folks pay attention! Those with fixed incomes suffer. Guess where to move to?

All these fun little liberal hairbrained ideas will ensure more and more folks flee leftist hell zone States for Idaho.
Where to?

CDA is hot even though it gets 60 inches of snow annually. With those rising property taxes and homeowners insurance going up and up who can afford it?

Old 05-07-2021, 05:50 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,831 times
You know what I find entertaining re: Idahoans constantly complaining about people from Washington coming over to recreate at the lakes/trails etc. I am entitled to speak to this as I grew up in Idaho from year 1-22, living in Lewiston, Post Falls, Coeur d' Alene, and Moscow, and the majority of my fam is still there. This was the case when I was there and it remains - Idahoans have some odd aversion to people from their neighboring state stopping by. You understand that without Spokane, North Idaho would not be as prosperous as it is. Residents of NID like to complain non stop about Spokanites coming to the parks there, spending their money at the restaurants there (gasp! NID is VERY dependent on tourism dollars - there is little industry or high tech work). I feel that if residents of Kootenai/Bonner/Shoshone counties get to continue to complain about Washingtonian use of the state, do residents of Washington get to bi*** about Idahoan use of Spokane's airport, arena for concerts/hockey games / motocross? What about when Idaho's health system gets overwhelmed and you need Spokane's vastly superior hospital system? It's no mystery that Kootenai health is subpar. I'm not denying that CDA/PF/Hayden are nice places to live, but the constant attacked on WA residents is just beyond me. I needed to throw this out there.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:07 AM

382 posts, read 1,034,673 times
Really. Do you even live in cda now? The bars in cda have to close early because wait for it. Spokane people. They are fighting the police. Cda has had a problem with Spokane ever since the start. It’s why the old cda police chief would wait for the Spokane people to get off the train. And he would lock up anyone he suspected of being up to no good. And actually Spokane would be poo without Idaho’s mining and timber. When I want to go camping in Idaho. It’s always full of Washington folks. It would be one thing if it was like it used to be. But it’s not. And it’s getting crowded everywhere around here. I go to Washington to have a look and yer camping is never full. There is always parking at riverside to go ride. Or hike. I’m never over run when I go look at Washington. When I go to priest lake. Guess who’s there? We have less land mass in the panhandle. So it gets more crowded sooner. And Idaho is woefully behind on infrastructure. So Idaho is behind and getting further. The vast majority of dirt bike riders and utv users come from where? Washington I see them all the time when I’m out riding. I’ve met them coming up here from the tri cities. Idaho is popular. And to be a local now after 40 plus years. I’ve seen the Spokane influx increase as their population rises. Everyone wants to play in cda now. Especially since we stayed mostly open. And they shut down.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,789,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
...the constant attacked on WA residents is just beyond me...
I wouldn't mind them so much if they didn't drive so aggressively. It did not take long to notice that nine times out of ten, the cars that are weaving in and out of traffic, are speeding, are tailgating, are cars and trucks with Washington state plates. That odd 'one out of ten' is some jacked up pickup truck driven by some testosterone fueled youngster.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-09-2021, 07:32 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
I wouldn't expect the housing prices to go down for a very long time to come.

Idaho has always been a housing boom or bust deal; when times are good, home contractors tend to overbuild rather than stopping at the top of the demand curve.

And then, with an over-supply of new homes, there's always a long time lag before new oontrcutiion gets underway again.

The two quite often get out of synch with the overall economy and employment ratios because of this tendency.
There are always several large home construction builders who go out of business during these lopsided cycles, and many times, it's only the over-cautious ones that survive.

Over-cautious homebuilders don't pounce on a booming seller's market after they've lost their shirts a few times before. They take it slow and easy, waiting to see just how long this boom will last.

It's the Idaho way, and has been this way all my life. Longer than my life, according to my Grandfather, who was a homebuilder himself off and on his entire life.

He became a farmer when he married my Grandmother, who came from a long line of adventurous farmers. They married late in life for their time- both were in their 30s.
Granddad never had the money to buy a farm when he was single, and Grandma homesteaded about to 1,000 acres on her own, living alone in a homestead shack and teaching school in the winters. The shack was built on skids, so it could be pulled from one piece of ground to the next.
... and while she homesteaded alone, her father, also a big homesteader, along with his 7 other daughters, were always there to help her out during the farming season.

As a couple, they had all the land and alternate skills they needed to ride out a farm depression or a housing shortage.
But they were an uncommon couple in these parts. Most of their neighbors went bust and left the land eventually, and none of the large home-builders survived the Great Depression.

They did. And they became very prosperous when WWII broke out and every crop that reached harvest was a profitable paycheck. Granddad worked the fields with plenty of farm hands who needed a job, and Grandma fed them all, along with their families.
After the war ended, both were too old to do the heavy work anymore, so Grandma got her real estate license and started selling homes to returning veterans.

Both were good money managers; when the vets found they couldn't get a home loan from the banks because they had no credit history, Grandma would assume the loan herself, and became the financier for the vets.
She was very proud her entire life that not a single one of her vets ever let her down by failing to repay her loan.

It was all just the Idaho way.
We do things differently here and always have.
But even so, my grandparents were pretty remarkable in their resourcefulness. While it's a common quality here, they had an abundance of it all their lives.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:33 PM

11,621 posts, read 6,086,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wowzers...
A 47% increase in a year!

That's what was happening to Cupertino in the 80s!
Reminds me of 2006. Then 2008 happened. What goes up, must come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho